The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Summons Question  (Read 504 times)

Ravemore

Summons Question
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:40:03 pm »
According to LORE, Clerics of Shindaleria and Xeen at 9th level with the the animal domain summon an Elemental Prince of Water, which is superior to the standard 9th level summons, I'm assuming. This is cool, but the crux of my question is why do clerics of the 7 other faiths who summon elementals of various types not have this same option to summon Elemental Prince's of their respective elemental types? Why is the animal domain good for water, but not earth, air, fire, etc.??

Dorganath

Re: Summons Question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:05:07 am »
Honest answer: It's before my time, so I do not know the reasoning there, and those who did are no longer around.

Ravemore

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:09:29 am »
Could consideration be given for a future update to make the same ability open to the other 7 elemental summoning faiths?

Ravemore

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:18:16 am »
Requesting this thread be moved to the Suggestions and Requests Forum.

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:23:40 am »
Well, "maybe" but the special consideration for Xeen and Shindaleria wasn't given to them because they summon elementals; it was given to all the faiths that have access to the Animal Domain.

And after thinking about it and looking something up, the Animal Domain (and our LORE page on it) powers do exactly that...give access to stronger summons all the way up. That they're elementals and not animals is just how we've designed our custom summons. It really has nothing to do with summoning elementals. It has everything to do with the Animal domain.

Ravemore

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:35:32 am »
OK. Cool. I have never played a cleric before, so this is an exercise in helping me to understand how this works, not a complaint. With the Animal Domain those clerics already summon more powerful creatures is what I'm understanding? How do our mechanics make them more powerful? ...and if it does, it seems a little overkill for only those two faiths to have access to a summons that is one step above the already tweaked 9th lvl one...

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:19 am »
Our mechanics pull them from one spell higher, basically. So Summon Creature I actually pulls the creature from Summon Creature II for someone with the Animal Domain.

And it's not just those two.  See this table. There are several faiths with access to the Animal Domain, and they benefit as well.

Ravemore

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:52:28 am »
Ok. Understood. That makes perfect sense.

Since the system was designed in a way where the summons is pulled from one higher tier each level, I think I can see why the extra ones were added. It just looks to me like they did not complete the project and give the same considerations to the other faiths with the animal domain as a choice.

It seems like a valid suggestion then to perhaps consider adding a new summons down the road for our other clergy members?

Ravemore

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 12:55:14 am »
Hmmm.. another thought, I wonder if they already get something but it was just not added to the table?

Variable

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 12:56:10 am »
The higher level summons are only listed for deities that have Animal as one of their Domains. Thats why there is only the higher level summon listed for those selective deities.

Folian, Katia, Kithairien, Shindaleria and Xeen are the only deities that offer Animal.

Ravemore

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:31 am »
So you are right. Just looked at it closer. Apologies for the confusion.