The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Crafting and lag  (Read 223 times)

White Arrow

• View Profile
    Crafting and lag
    « on: December 04, 2005, 12:32:00 pm »
    Dont know for sure if this is the only lag problem on the server, but its been my experience that all servers using a crafting/mining/resource system have lots of lag issues. Being new to the server and experiencing lots of lag, one has to ask the question if the lagggggggg is worth having for the sake of crafting.

Leanthar

RE: Crafting and lag
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 12:57:00 pm »
    Yes it is worth it.. however you are correct, it does add lag spikes by people logging in and out and the way nwn handles inventory at that time.
      *shrugs* We do the best we can.
      Sorry it is so bad and you are not happy. There is only so much we can do with NWN and such.
      Not sure why you needed to post this in two different threads.

twidget658

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
    White Arrow, here is a link that may help your lag problem. It may not help right away, but with everything else, it takes time.

http://www.layonaraonline.com/donate.asp

*walks away whistling Dixie*

jrizz

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 07:22:00 pm »
    yeah that would fix it :)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 02:48:00 am »
    Peak times (late afternoon/evening US) especially on weekends have become a lot laggier over the last several months.  The lag increase has been direction proportional to the number of people we have playing at those times.  

CNR indirectly causes lag spikes when people log in (as L said) since it creates a lot of items and gives people a reason to carry around a lot of them.

However, I dont think it adds to the "overall" lag you experience on average during a time interval.

I think that sort of lag is mainly casued by (and determined by) the number of people in the most crowded single area on the server.  This is due to the way the NWN engine handles multiple PCs in one area.

Thats why the lag is worse when a quest is being run even if the overall number of PCs on the server doesnt increase.  If you have 30 PC's on the server spread between 20 areas with the most crowded area only having 3 PCs in it the amount of lag you'll experience overall (barring possible login spikes or other oddities) will be quite low.  Now say a quest starts, no other PCs join the server, but 24 of those 30 PCs all go to one area.  The lag on the server at that point becomes what I would describe as "reaally bad."  

-TV

jrizz

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
    so a general quest limit per server would help. Also when we have 20 people (or so) sitting around in hlint chatting we as players should try to move small conversations to other areas.