The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Exceptional items  (Read 613 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Exceptional items
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 01:04:35 am »
Sure, there are craftable magical and/or enhanced weapons now, but those are very high-end. What I'd love to see is high-quality merchaindise at every level of skill. Someone who's accustomed to working with copper could make a bloody fine copper sword, aye?

Weeblie

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 01:10:54 am »
But, it would still only be a copper sword... Not the Copper Sword of Doom or something like that. :)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 02:26:45 am »
No, it would be a Masterwork Copper Sword. :( The difference between the work of a master, and the work of an apprentice, isn't in the type of metal but in the skill of the one who forges it.

Harloff

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 02:29:32 am »
That is true but do you wish an exceptionel weapon of all sorts? cause that would add more than 100 weapons in total and I don't think it is likely that the team is willing to add so many weapons. Besides a better copper weapon would also have higher level req. And I don't think it is likely that anyone capable of using a iron weapon would actually use a copper weapon unless it had some pretty wild and unique abileties, the only classes that I see benifitting from such weapons are spellslinger classes that can use "greater magic weapon" on it.

Stranzini

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 05:25:15 am »
It would be nice if exceptional musical instruments existed, using the existing mechanics for jewelry and tailored goods, and it doesnt seem like a big game balance problem to me. It would a little bit relieve the tedium of the instruments crafting.

darkstorme

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2006, 06:04:49 pm »
I'd have to agree (and my soon-to-be-proposed bard character does as well) - there are actually few areas of human endeavour which so elevate the work of a master crafter as much as music.  And while they sound the same in the hands of an amateur, there's a big difference between a Yamaha student model and a Stradavarius, for the violinists and cellists, or Bogendorfer for the pianists, and so forth.

Edit:

As an afterthought, that would be a neat way for high-level instrument crafters to make a name for themselves... in NWN2, having read the documentation.  Barring use of Letoscript to generate a spectacular number of instruments, there's no way to rename items.  In NWN2, though, they've promised dynamic item names, so a masterwork instrument could very well have a character's name attached to it, just as they are known in real life.

anything