The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Short storries by Telini Artima  (Read 338 times)

tobeelijah

Short storries by Telini Artima
« on: May 09, 2007, 09:52:45 pm »
//attached is my original character bio.
http://www.layonara.com/recent-approvals/116019-telini-artima-new-character.html

"Brave Adventurers" Part 1
"Beli Stonesoul and the Road to Lyn"

It was quiet in Port Hempstead that day.  The key word there being was, for it didn't last long.  I was chatting with a newly made acquaintance by the name of Beli, when Grohin a dwarf acquaintance I had met only that day came strolling up beside a dwarf that went by the name of Tegnar.  He had bad news to report. Tegnar bearing the bad news, exclaimed to the other two dwarves how Lyn had been over ran by giants.  They talked among them selves of the present state of the farmlands of Lyn, mainly mentioning that they should formulate a plan and get over there to help.  Tegnar let them know of a caravan that had left a few moments before bearing supplies on its way to the starving people of Lyn.  He left them to formulate a plan and left to catch up with the caravan to see it safely to Lyn.  The two dwarves, Grohin and Beli decided that they must help, for if they didn't, who would? Right?  So they started out of Port Hempstead, me in their wake, on the journey to Lyn to see what help they could give to the dwarves of Lyn.  

The first hour of the journey was uneventful.  The first bit of excitement came soon after taking a brief rest in Storam's Watch in the Hammerbond Peaks.  A zombie lord raced toward Beli, who swung his fists with great strength and speed, and caught him square in the jaw, or what was left of it.  Beli quickly struck a second time not letting his guard down in the slightest.  The next strike felled the zombie. There were more in the distance which could have ben delat with but these two were on a mission which did not invilve these undead creatures.   So they pressed on up the peaks toward the Conflict Lands.  The road through the Conflict Lands posed just what it's name might suggest, many conflicts.  Ironic right.  It wasn't long before we came upon the first group of foul creatures wanting to knock the heads from our bodies.  There were ettins, mountain giants, ogres, and many other giants bearing the symbols of a clan unknown to me.  

Fearlessly Beli and Grohin charged in, while I hid in the background nearly peeing myself, but not willing to look away, afraid to miss something.  The two exchanged blows with the creatures many times not even being struck at all, and when they were they barely showed signs of pain or fear.  The battle raged for what felt like an eternity but could not have been more than 2 minutes.  The only thing that remained after those two minutes, was two tired dwarves standing among a mound of mangled flesh belonging to their foes, the giants and ettins.  They caught their breath then took what that thought might be valuable from the corpses.  They wasted no time pressing onward to Lyn.

There were boulders flying all over this part of our journey.  I was warned about them before but thought it would be nothing, compared to what I saw it was now.  A few of the smaller ones struck me as I followed as close to the two dwarves as was possible.  It wasn't long before I saw the source of these flying boulders that were being hurled at us.  Giants were tossing rocks, and they were good at what they did, I can see how tossing rocks would and could be very effective.  But, now that Beli and Grohin were within melee distance they stood no chance.  Hurling boulders and rocks at that distance was sparesely effective.  They scurried for their short swards and axes as fast they could but it was too late, lucky for me.  Beli and Grohin had laid waste to the rock tossers perched atop a cliff, shortly after they saw them coming.  This made a clear path for me, which was always a good.  

Moments later we came across another group of giants, frost giants to be more precise.  It was four versus two.  The odds were stacked in favor of the foes, however once again Beli and Grohin surprised me with their strength, endurance, and steadfast will to win a battle.  One swung its large fist at Grohins head who barely moved it away in time and countered with a slice at the giants chin with his axe.   That was probably as high up on the giant he could get to anyway.  The ogre screamed in pain but other wise brushed that attack off and slugged Grohin in the chest.  Grohin seemed to lose his breathe but only for a moment.  Rage in his eyes he struck the giant down with one more mighty swing of his axe.  This one struck the ogre in the neck, he fell causing a loud thud upon hitting the ground beneath him.  The dwarves would have traveled to Lyn non-stop if they were physical capable of doing so.  As it was though, they needed to rest a bit, and recover from some of the more serious wounds that they had received in the past few hours.  It was while they were resting and I was the lookout, if you will, that I happened to see a mean blizzard blowing in.  We decided to press onward before it had gotten worse.  The snow had caused extremely reduced visibility and I tried to listen to where they were heading afraid to get too close and get caught in a battle that I could not survive.  I was not there to fight, only to tell their story, I was to play no part in their tale, or so I thought.  The battle must have been a short one because I never heard a struggle or anything but at my feet lay at least three more of those rock tossers, it had to be the work of my dwarven friends.  I looted a few coin that they left behind or cared not for in their rush to Lyn, and hurried to catch up afraid more rock tossers may be close.  I caught up to Beli and Grohin stopped atop a side of a valley talking and grumbling of what they would do next.  

This is where my part in this tale would be played out.  Come to find out our journey had come to a brief halt.  It seems that an ogre was looking toward Beli and Grohin on a bridge, chanting what probably was spell of sorts.  One of my dwarven companions decided it a good idea to cut the bridge down, the ogre falling with it, unable to finish his incantation.  Come to find out this was the same bridge that we had to pass over in order to get to Lyn and help where we may, mind you.  How would we get across.  After much debate and talk of what me might do we decided that I was to be lowered down into the valley retrieve the side of the bridge closest to us that had fallen, and be hauled back up, where they would secure this end of the bridge ensuring safe passage.  See, I told you I would have a small but detrimental part to play in this tale.  I was lowerd about half way down then noticed an extremely mean looking ogre starring up at me, drool falling down his chin.  I had Beli pull me back up and told him of the situation.  Grohin then stepped in and readied his longbow.  He then let two lightning arrows fly. That was all it took.  The ogre was dead and it was now safe for me to retrieve our end of the bridge.  This time I was lowerd all the way down and had the bridge in hand and was on my way up.  I fumbled though and dropped it.  I was lowerd and grabbed at it again.  This time I made it farther up but the pain was getting to me.  My waist and right arm in dire pain from holding the rope that Beli was pulling me up by and my left hand beginning to lose the bridge end.  The weight was beginning to be too much, after all this was a massive bridge had to have been at least 60 feet long.  I then realized it was now or never.  I wrapped the rope connected to the bridge around my body, which was now being tugged in two directions, straight down to my assured death and up to the peak where Beli and Grohin were waiting.  They pulled me up as quickly as possibly being as gentle as was possible too.  I made it to the top!  Grohin then untangles me from the mess of rope, took the weight of the bridge and quickly fastened it in place.  The two of them then reinforced the knot with some needle and silken thread.

I struggled to push through the pain and catch my breathe.  I gasped for air and guzzled some water that froze to my lips.  The bridge was now safe to cross though, and it was because of me.  I had never been prouder.  I knew at that moment that I was made for this adventuring stuff.  

Lyn wasn't but another 30 minutes or so a hike away.  We arrived just outside Lyn, where we were informed by a Lyn dwarven sentry that the place was not faring well at all.  He mentioned that the supplies from Ulgrid arrived safely, which at least was a bit of good news among the bad.  We entered the city a few moments after chatting with the sentry.

He was right, the place didn't look good at all.  There was a fire blazing a ways away, which we soon realized was a pile of burning dwarven corpses.  I could tell that my two dwarven friends were hurt and shocked, as was I even though I knew nothing of these dwarves less than a day ago.  Beli put the flames out thinking them being burned by the giants when an dwarf happened upon us and set the corpses ablaze again.  We then realized it was his doing and that this was just the dwarves buring their dead.  The dwarf beckoned us to follow which we all did, to Tagnar awaiting with the caravan on the other side of the farm.  Tagnar heard a bit of our adventure to this point and of how I came through and was able to assist in getting the bridge back up so that we could pass and get to Lyn at all.  

Tagnar put a band of dwarves at the disposal of Beli and Grohin for the fight against the ogres attacking the people of Lyn.   He then informed them that they should get going and finish their quest, to free Lyn of this giant problem.   This adventure to this point was greater than I ever thought.  I knew it would be a great chance to share my story of the bravery and heroics of these two dwarves.  However I was beat and knew that I could press on no more.  Regretfully I chose to stay behind while they finished their mission.  I quickly ran off and found a quiet place to rest.  

to be continued.....

"Brave Adventurers" Part 2
"Lyn Saved!"

I wish I could have been there to experience it first hand, rather than have to hear about it.  

//to be completed after I find out how the story ended IC.

tobeelijah

Re: Short storries by Telini Artima
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »
"Into the Sewers Again"

It was a quite day that I spent trying to get acquainted with the port city of Hempstead.  It seemed, though, that destiny was calling me to my first real solo adventure.  One that would lead me once again into the sewers where I first learned some of my trade from Lister.  A woman had run up to me in the street talking of clogged pipes.  I had to slow her down and explain the situation to me in more detail and in a manner I could understand.  Come to find out there was a creature in the sewer sytem that was doing the clogging.  
I was asked to go down there and rid the place of if this pipe clogging creature.  I had a sense of bravado about me and thought it possible to take care of the situation down there.  I told the woman I would take care of it.  I took the crossbow out readied a bolt and headed down to the dark sewers beneath Port Hempstead.
It was erily silent, save for the sounds of drips in the distance, and the faint noise of something scurrying in the waters of the sewers.  It wasn't long before I realized the noise was that of rats scurring through the water.  I released a bolt that hit its mark.  The rat fell over dead after leting out a great screech which brought more rats.  I never thought rats deadly creatures until after this battle against them.  In numbers they can be very dangerous especially the rabid diseased looking ones.  I put my crossbow away before they reached me and readied my dagger.  I struck at the first one dropping it with but one slice.  The others were a bit more agile and it was a few seconds before I ended their lives.  That did not happen before I was bitten a few times though.  I felt sick and fell to my knees.  Alone in the sewers I started to vomit, and feel it could've been a mistake to come down here alone.  My sensibility returned and I quickly bandaged my wounds after applying some ointment to keep my rat bites from becoming infected.  And took a brief rest.

I got up and carried on deeper into the sewers.  trying to steer from the groups of rats when possible.  When I couldn't, and my feet failed me causing more noise than I wanted, I made easy work of the rats from a distance with my crossbow.  I normally would have all but one killed before the last reached me just as I readied my dagger which would finish it off.

Twenty rats or so later while sneaking deeper into the sewers I came upon a spell casting creature.  The bolt from my crossbow could not have been more true a shot.  The creature fell dead instantly upon the arrival of the bolt.  I approached the creature and saw where my bolt had struck the forehead of the caster before he could finish his incantation.  While inspecting the body and taking some gold from it's corpse I was snuck up on.  I let my guard down, a big mistake.  This next creature I would battle was much more a formiddable foe.  Battle raged for nearly a minute before a blow was made.  I would dodge an attack, then he would parry.  I would parry then he would dodge, he would claim the first blow.  He sliced at my right arm, the pain was too much to bear.  I quickly drunk a healing potion hoping to relieve some of my pain.  

I then struck at the creature with my dagger.  I caught him right in the side, causing him to guard that effected side.  I took advantage of the situation and thrust my dagger into his neck.  He fell over twitching for a moment, but seemed very much alive somehow.  Not wanting to chance it I walked over and put the beast from its misery, breaking its neck.  

I explored the sewers a bit more after that and saw nowhere else to go. I had explored every area.  I made my way back out of the sewers to the lady who had asked me to solve this pipe problem.  Apparently the clog had been ceased.  I told her of my battles down there in the sewers.  Apparently it was the two lizard like creatures that were responsible for the cloggings.  I was rewarded 200 gold for my efforts down there, and quickly made for the Scamp's Mug for a good nights rest.   A great first solo adventure under my belt.  Hopefully it would get my name spread around the town a bit.

tobeelijah

Re: Short storries by Telini Artima
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:01:32 pm »
"A Day of Exploration"

The day was an exciting one.  Filled mostly with hiking, exploring, and meeting new people.  I was sitting in Port Hempstead when my spontaneity struck.  I decided to go explore the surrounding areas by myself.  My main purpose in this was to try and find a band of kobolds that had some sort of magic wand.  Trent a guard in Hempstead filled me in about this group of kobolds, saying that this wand of theirs had magic powers.  He wanted me to kill the kobold that had it and bring it back to him.  So I thought I would go try. It might be a good thing that I never found them.

I set out leaving by way of the gate to the east.  I am not great with directions at all times and found myself lost after only an hour or so.  I travelled through a forrest of some kind and a small town not wanting to ask for help, thinking I could do this on my own.  I became more lost and ended up happening upon Fort Llast.  It was here that I ended up giving up on my decision to go after the kobolds and decided rather to just go where the wind may take me meeting new people and what have you.  The first person I met in Fort Llast was a mage who went by Dalton.  He didnlt want to talk about anything other than some Will O' Wisp essence that he apparently needed.  I told him, not really meaning it at the time, that I would find some for him. Perhaps I will sometime in the future but it wouldnlt be today thats for sure, I just wanted him to keep quiet.  

Juanita was the next person I happened across in Fort Llast.  She was some sort of horse trainer who had a horse bolt on her in the Hammerbound peaks.  She left some sort of oil with that horse that became lost in the mountains there soimewhere she wanted me to bring the oil back to her if I found it.  I think she called it an "oil of Vukas".  I have never heard of this type of oil but thought I could go try to find it and bring it to her.  I told her I'd go fetch it and bring it back.  I didn't do that either.  I did, however, meet another person here in Fort Llast, who went by Jursen.  I am guessing that he is in charge of the armory because it was his mission to reequip it with weapons I believe he said there were 7 kinds of weapons he wanted to get for the armory.  I told him I could help, then he set me off to find the first weapon, a copper dagger.  I actually had one on me but wasn't willing to give it up, so thought when I found one or purchased one, when it was convenient, I would return it to him to figure out the second weapon type he might want me to fetch.  

I left the small town for the Hammerbound Peaks.  I was earlier filled in on where they were, which was just east and North of the Fort.   I soon realized that I would need help if I was to get this oil back.  I mainly got to this realization after seeing the swarm of  undead waiting for me soon after arriving at the base of the peaks.  So I hought it best to end this journey abit short and stay alive.  This would be my seond fib today, but perhaps I would find the oil and return it to the horse trainer another day.

My next stop afer leaving the peaks' base  and heading east was
Krandor.

///will finish later

anything