The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Enchanting Gorgon Horns  (Read 252 times)

Nehetsrev

Enchanting Gorgon Horns
« on: June 02, 2007, 01:44:42 am »
My character Lyle Underroot, and those helping him, experienced problems with enchanting Gorgon Horns today.

In the first instance, Omer was the one helping Lyle and he successfully enchanted one Gorgon horn, but the second was not being recognized by the enchanting bowl.  I'm not sure if Omer had both horns in the bowl when he made the first attempt, or if he kept the second in his inventory during the first attempt. In any event I thought perhaps whatever bug there was with the second horn could be fixed by placing it into an ox-pack and then taking the horn out again...unfortunately when placed into the ox-pack the bugged horn vanished.

The next instance of a bugged gorgon horn occurred with Rain Darsus enchanting the horns for me.  He tells me he only put one horn in the bowl when he made his first attempt.  His attempt failed, but the second horn wich he reports had been in his inventory on his character also became bugged and was not recognized by the enchanting bowl after the first attempt with the other gorgon horn failed.

Until this bug gets fixed, I'd caution other enchanters to only carry one gorgon horn and have another character hold any additional horns for them while they make each single enchanting attempt.

I can also report that Omer's first success did produce an Enchanted Gorgon Horn which my character Lyle Underroot was able to use in making a Horn of the North successfully.

Dorganath

Re: Enchanting Gorgon Horns
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 06:38:05 am »
Actually what probably happened here is that at one point, and this is one of the several delays, the Gorgon horns had a different tag/resref.  They were changed along the way to make the line up better with the rest of CNR.

So what is happening here is that basically the game thinks you have a different item.  Putting them in the ox pack would make them disappear, because the old items no longer exist.

I'm willing to reimburse these to you, if you can show me some logs or something that indicate how many of them were lost.  Also, if you have any more in your inventory that need to be swapped out, we can do that too. Use the regular reimbursement process for tracking purposes please.

EDIT:  This applies to all raw horns prior.  If anyone has one or more of these in their inventory, please feel free to contact a GM in-game to swap them for the correct ones.

Sorry about this.  It completely slipped my mind when posting a couple days ago.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 10:11:52 am »
Quote from: Dorganath
Hey all...one very important thing I forgot to mention.

If you have any of the raw harvested horns from before the 3.00.4 release, please contact a GM in-game to have them swapped out.  Though the raw horns have been in-game for some time, they were buggy at one point and had different tags/resrefs.  As a result, the CNR system won't recognize them.

Putting them through the ox pack will destroy them...so don't do it. :)

I'm sorry about this.  It completely slipped my mind when I posted above.

I used your quote from the other thread regarding the release of the new recipies, because mainly I saw it first.

As to the first pair of horns for the first attempt by Omer, I can't say if they were harvested before the release or not, since I didn't harvest them myself, I believe Jako Stonehill did.  But, the second pair of horns were freshly harvested after the implementation of the new recipies.  Lyle, along with Benjamin Poetr, Lance Merrick, and a couple others harvested them together.  (It seemed only one of three Gorgons slain in the spawn would yield a horn, but I'm guessing that's probably intentional).

I'm not so much worried about being reimbursed for the two horns lost due to buggyness, since with a decent group they're not too hard to get and part of the fun lies in getting them.  I just thought it best to file this report so that the current buggyness could be worked out, and so others would be aware there is a bug.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 11:37:26 am »
I just checked in-game about this...

The horns dropped via the gorgons (and yes, only one of them is supposed to drop a horn) is identical to the one in the palette and is also correctly recognized as the horn needed for the recipe.  There's also no way that you could tell the difference between a new one and an old one visually.

I will be around on-and-off today, so if you've got a few minutes, I can get in-game and verify the horns for you, and if needed, swap them out. I'll be loitering in IRC if you wish to do this.

The horn that disappeared when being put into the ox pack was assuredly one of the old ones.  Any of the horns that would even let you attempt to enchant them were one of the new ones.  Those that do not allow you to attempt the craft are the old ones.

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 03:02:10 pm »
At the moment I still have the one from Lyle that the system did not recognize

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 04:00:36 pm »
Quote from: Hellblazer
At the moment I still have the one from Lyle that the system did not recognize

I just checked...the one you have in inventory is one of the old ones.  You logged out before I could replace it, however.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 09:45:55 am »
So what your'e saying is that the gorgons are still dropping the old ones half of the time?  Because both the horns I gave to Rain to enchant for Lyle were harvested fresh, and after the new recipies had been put in-game.  The enchanting bowl recognized one horn, but not the other.

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 10:10:25 am »
Um, no, I'm not saying that, but I will check to see if that's a possibility.  When I checked yesterday, the gorgon had the correct horn in it.  And I tested using that horn and a fresh one from the palette...and I had several of them in my avatar's inventory at the time.

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »
Follow-up:

I just spent some time in-game testing this.

I killed, looted and waited for the respawn on the horn-dropping Gorgon 6 times.  In all 6 instances, the correct horn was dropped.

Since the old ones can't even be created in-game any more, I firmly believe that they are in fact dropping the correct horn every time.

The one instance I have not checked is to see what the initial creature spawns in with at the start of the game. I can only check that however after a reboot.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 01:24:58 pm »
I just want to thank you, Dorganath, for taking the time to check and fix all of this... Waiting for six respawns? Wowee.

On a side note, are ALL horns dropped before the change invalid, or only gorgon horns?

Dorganath

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 01:34:55 pm »
Heh...I didn't wait through 6 respawns...I set their respawn timers to something shorter for testing ;)

And this applies to all horns: satyr, gorgon, minotaur and shadow balor.

Dorganath

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 01:59:23 pm »
Follow-up.

Looks like the initial drop is one of the old horns.  All the ones following that drop should be correct. I have only checked the Gorgon horns.  I don't know if this will apply to any of the others.

Dorganath

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 03:08:28 pm »
Another follow-up...

This will affect the minotaur horns as well.  The others are fine.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 05:12:30 pm »
Ugh...I'm just getting more confused now, or maybe not.  Let me see if I got this straight:

The first spawn of Gorgons one comes across after entering the place where they dwell drops one of the 'old horns' for some reason, but if you stay in the cave any spawns after that point drop the 'new horns'.  Is this correct?

Dorganath

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »
That is correct.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 07:26:51 am »
Is this still an issue?

Dorganath

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 08:39:39 am »
I think I fixed it a while ago, but it's been three years, so I don't remember off-hand.  :)

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 09:33:28 am »
Thanks... Sorry to resurrect old history.

anything