The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: 240!  (Read 289 times)

darkstorme

240!
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:41:09 pm »
There have been (as the thread title might suggest) two hundred and forty different characters on Layonara in the past two weeks... and, as both GM and player, I've seen it.

I've seen taciturn dwarves, arrogant elves, duplicitous humans, and excitable gnomes.  I've seen erudite paladins, monosyllabic fighters, loquacious rogues, jocular sorcerers and dryly sarcastic wizards.  (Sometimes, all in the same party! :D )  I've seen some battles that were lacking in anything other than the desire to go out and fight, true... but for each of them I've seen brilliant (or even hilarious) responses to GM intervention, I've seen touching or clever dialogue, and a real sense of immersion in the world.

Layonara is a game, a world, and a community - but it is also a story.  A story with (again) 240 principal characters.  C'mon, folks, even Ed Greenwood can't beat that!

So, as far as I can tell, everything looks pretty green... and thank you, team and community, for making it so.  I'll continue to give my best as GM and player to keep it that way.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to add "happy halfling", and "a caster cat-fight", for the alliterative value. :)

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Chongo

EdTheKet

Re: 240!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:46:46 pm »
Nice!

even Ed Greenwood can't beat that!

Ed Greenwood vs. EdTheKet. Taking bets now ;)

lonnarin

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:02:29 pm »
I just read "Elminster in Hell" by Greenwood and fell asleep 30 times per paragraph with all the fluffy "nobleman's drama" writing and 90% of the book was boring flashbacks back to times when he was not in hell.  Seriously, don't bother with this book!  All that happens is some demon tortures Elminster all day long as he has flashbacks about tea parties, and Kelbehn Blackstaff sits there not smiling and speaking monotonous, per usual.  It's worse than Anne Rice victorian fluff!  "and then the demon introduced Elminster to the duke of hell... but wait!  that reminded him of another story, when the Lady Gestalson introduced him to her auntie Gertrude.  Gertrude was a noble lady from the 5th house of the fourth district in the 7th year of.... blah blah blah"  *insert 200 pages of filler to avoid writing about elminster in hell altogether*

I'd bet 500 bucks on EdTheKet over Greenwood any day of the week after reading that book.  At least our campaign handbook keeps you entertained and hungry for more instead of counting pages just to see how much longer you have to read.  Indeed, our most frequent complaint is that we want to read more!

Now if only my job and classes allowed me to play more.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 06:35:47 pm »
That's a lotta people. Sometimes you think this community is small, really small..Sometimes you forget the community is bigger than the six people your main character 'hangs with'

Set aside some free time (if you have any left xD I know school starts today) and meet some new ones. Its generally a good habbit, and remember people, The reactions of characters are not the reactions of their  players. its all RP! :)

Filatus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:57:12 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
I just read "Elminster in Hell" by Greenwood and fell asleep 30 times per paragraph with all the fluffy "nobleman's drama" writing and 90% of the book was boring flashbacks back to times when he was not in hell.  Seriously, don't bother with this book!  All that happens is some demon tortures Elminster all day long as he has flashbacks about tea parties, and Kelbehn Blackstaff sits there not smiling and speaking monotonous, per usual.  It's worse than Anne Rice victorian fluff!  "and then the demon introduced Elminster to the duke of hell... but wait!  that reminded him of another story, when the Lady Gestalson introduced him to her auntie Gertrude.  Gertrude was a noble lady from the 5th house of the fourth district in the 7th year of.... blah blah blah"  *insert 200 pages of filler to avoid writing about elminster in hell altogether*

Too little too late.. already read it. :(

Polak76

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 07:08:05 pm »
I've been thinking about making another character even though I'll probably never get around to playing it.

I do miss writing bio's and creating new characters.

darkstorme

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 07:37:31 pm »
Quote from: LynnJuniper
I know school starts today...

Only if you're in the States. :)  In Canada, we wait 'til Labour Day.  Or, I suppose, at this point "they", as I'm no longer a member of the student population.

deagle

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 10:11:52 pm »
Its been so long...what's it like being a student these days....:\\

Anyhow, great to see that the community is still having fun. i know I look forward to any free time I have to immerse myself in Layo and have fun.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 10:33:13 pm »
points to her college thread
I don't wanna hijack this one but Ill answer that there if you ask again ;)

Chazzler

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 03:51:54 am »
I wonder if Layonara's elminster look-a-like will ever travel into the Pits and reminesce about tea-parties with the Explorers... (please don't make it happen!) ;)

EdTheKet

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 04:53:19 am »
Not a chance!