The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: An Etiquette Manual for Junior Adventurers?  (Read 232 times)

Kirbiana

An Etiquette Manual for Junior Adventurers?
« on: March 21, 2007, 12:11:35 pm »
Hi, all!

In my few months on Layonara, I have found many valuable pieces of advice on what I'll call 'good player etiquette' buried inside forum threads that are on other topics entirely. For example, I just learned this morning that crafting levels are meant by the game designers not to be rushed through, in a thread entitled "Resting in Haven." This is information I wish I had known at the very start of my time here, as I now worry that my PC showed 'bad taste' in spending so much time doing her very-enjoyable potion making.

Would anyone mind if I sorted through the forums over the next few days and tried to put together the various words of advice on good player etiquette given by dms and designers with the goal of producing a small 'etiquette manual'  for new players?  I would be very happy to post my gleanings in this thread first, to gather comments and/or additional input, and then make a small, quickly-viewed document that new players could be pointed to, perhaps at the end of their approval process.  

Please note: this is not meant in any way to be a guide to the lands, resources or quests of Layonara, just an introduction to the general expectations that the game designers and gms of this server have for 'good behavior' on the part of players.  My hope is that some of the mishaps and mistakes made by us novices could be avoided if we knew more about the community's unwritten traditions.  And if such a thing already exists and I have just not found it, please forgive me (and point me in the right direction).

Kirbiana

The following users thanked this post: LightlyFrosted

Interia_Discordius

Re: An Etiquette Manual for Junior Adventurers?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:13:53 pm »
One of the main ones? Don't run in DM quests :)

LordCove

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:16:34 pm »
Number 2 - Don't have two "important" conversations going in a DM quest in different places. They will hate you for it.

Number 3 - Don't loot whilst shapechanged. Your basically eating it, and Adventurer's dont like waiting around till nature calls to get paid.

Blackguy

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 12:19:53 pm »
http://www.layonara.com/faq.php?faq=layonara#faq_layonara_rules

These rules state the most obvious and cover the basics.

About the crafting thing. If your a single person that likes to craft potions, by all means do it, as much as you'd like.

But there is a diffrence between a single person advancing in crafting levels, and if he/she is backed up by 3-4 people such as in a guild, because they need to get that person to a certain level fast.

darkstorme

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 01:02:22 pm »
Even then, I'd feel that if the character really enjoyed whatever craft they were engaged in, it'd be fine, I think.  The issue is grinding for the sake of grinding.

minerva

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 01:06:25 pm »
Here is a very good guide for beginners RolePlaying Guide

ycleption

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 01:25:59 pm »
Somewhat related, there was a guide to Hlint at one point, which was very helpful to me (believe it or not, I didn't realize that Hlint had an eastside until I read the thing). Has anybody started writing a guide to Hempstead/Vehl for new characters? I definitely agree that a lot of information that new players should know are hidden in various places in the forums, and it would be really nice to have a comprehensive, Layonara-specific beginner's guide.

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 01:33:23 pm »
Personally, I think half the fun in Layonara is NOT knowing where everything is... It's too easy to check or ask! Anyhow, it'd encourage RPing anyways for people to ask around...Maybe make a few friends :)

MJZ

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 02:10:47 pm »
I definitely agree with Interia on that one, searching for CNRs or certain NPCs or what have you usually does lead to introductions, and sometimes even friends.

And please, let nothing get in the way of brewing potions!! I want to live, dammit! :D

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 02:11:32 pm »
Kirbiana,

A "Manual of Previously Unwritten Player Etiquette" or some such thing would be interesting, and, as you suggest, useful to many around Layo, especially beginners.
By etiquette, I assume you mean preferences, not rules (as Blackguy pointed out, the rules are available to see already, and in pretty good detail). A strong advantage of such a manual would be that by recognizing certain, commonly accepted curtesies and expectations, both of players and GMs, future abuse should be easier to identify and as a result be avoided (hopefully). Because the reality is, preferences become rules when the Layo Team watches freedoms get abused. The more this doesn't happen, the better.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 02:12:32 pm »
Don't forget guys: Chongo is starting up his Guides That will help a lot of new players in game

ycleption

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 03:13:04 pm »
Quote from: Interia_Discordius
Personally, I think half the fun in Layonara is NOT knowing where everything is... It's too easy to check or ask! Anyhow, it'd encourage RPing anyways for people to ask around...Maybe make a few friends :)

I agree with this, and I wasn't really talking about giving away too much, but telling players about a few quests (not necessarily where to find them, just that they exist), letting them know that you can't do alchemy in the normal craft hall, that you can buy soulstones in the temples, and are a good idea to buy, and a simple map showing the areas of Hempstead, et cetera. Most if not all of this information can be found elsewhere, but it would be a really good idea, in my opinion, to have one comprehensive guide for new players, that includes both this stuff, and some RPing expectations, et cetera. I realize that we are in the middle of a lot of changes, but all the information new players need is just so scattered.

Don't forget guys: Chongo is starting up his Guides That will help a lot of new players in game

:)

allneal

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 03:20:39 pm »
    IS there an area for item descriptions   ie a nice new set of leather armor most merchants have a basic description of what it does and lvl reguirement however i wanted too know the max dex bonus nad have been unable too find that out except for in game. thanks too teh merchant for allowing my PC tooactually rummage threw there chest and actually look at and try every thing on before i bought. However it took me about 1 hour or more too do so and  that's allot of time.  I know it takes some of teh RP out of it however there's certain things my PC would know living in there world that i personaly would not, so i don't see where it completly ruines teh RP inviroment.

darkstorme

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 03:55:28 pm »
    Well, you can always look at the items while they're still in the merchant panel.  Your character would likely (without trying on the items and seeing how they moved) just know what you do: the heavier the armour, the harder it is to move, and the harder it is to move quietly and gracefully.  Even Joe Fighter can see that it's a bit harder to pirouette in plate armour than it is in leathers.

As a general rule, though:
    Clothing - no DEX bonus limit.
    Leathers - 6 (or 8 for some special leathers)
    Hide - 6
    Chain Shirt - 5
    Chain - 4
    Banded - 3
    Scale - 3
    Half-plate - 2
    Full-plate - 1

(These are all from the toolset, so if someone wants to differ), feel free.)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 05:02:44 pm »
    Half-plate has a Max DEX of +1. My cleric has a set of it. Likewise, Banded/Splint mail. Chainmail has +2, Chain Shirts have +4, hide/studded leather likewise, leather has +6, and padded armor has +8.

I'd have to go in to check, but I believe these are accurate.

darkstorme

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 04:02:08 am »
    I stand corrected.  Well, I'm sitting.  But regardless, I bow to he who has a greater memory for such things and doesn't have to open the toolset to figure it out.

Varka

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 06:19:55 am »
    *points to Interia and Lord Cove in the top*
    Good post Kirbiana.
    Make a new topic.
    Keep comments short and sharp

4) Do not "force emotes" - *Favner slabs the Greater Demon and it explodes*
    5) Gms are right - dont discuss their interpretations of rolls *points towards harlas recently post*
    6) xx% of Rp, xx% of bash, xx% crating - it does not exist. Follow your own conscience
    7).......

allneal

• View Profile
      « Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 10:05:16 am »
      Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
      Half-plate has a Max DEX of +1. My cleric has a set of it. Likewise, Banded/Splint mail. Chainmail has +2, Chain Shirts have +4, hide/studded leather likewise, leather has +6, and padded armor has +8.

I'd have to go in to check, but I believe these are accurate.

thanks my problem is i could not find "Hide" at a vendor too check out teh max dex bonus.   needing more than 4 bonus is a good problem too have