The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: bastard sword question  (Read 123 times)

jrizz

bastard sword question
« on: August 14, 2006, 10:24:42 pm »
The BS is listed as a large weapon and in the handbook a two handed weapon. So can it be used two handed without a shield and one handed with a sheild?

Guardian 452

Re: bastard sword question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 10:27:37 pm »
Humans use it one handed. If a human uses it with no sheild I think they still swing it the same (some one can chime in on that for me if I'm wrong)

Halflings use it two handed.

Half giants can use it as an off hand weapon and a Great sword as their main weapon... heheh

Niles09

RE: bastard sword question
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:35:36 am »
In pnp you can use it one-handed if you got the exotic weapon profency, in nwn you cant use it at all if you dont have that feat. Everything can be used two-handed without a shield, you get 1,5 x strenght modifier or something in damage extra.

jrizz

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 04:52:38 pm »
how do you use it two handed?

Eorendil

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 04:57:11 pm »
If what he mentions is true then it would be automatic if you were wielding the bastard sword by itself but I wasn't sure NWN did that...

jrizz

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 05:12:15 pm »
I guess I will test it in SM

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 05:45:29 am »
I'm not sure Halflings can use a Bastard Sword, it's larger than a Longsword and i vaguely recall once examining a BS with a Halfling character that had the Exotic feat and it wasn't possible to use.

Niles09

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 05:56:04 am »
you automatic wield a weapon two handed, if you dont use a shield or off hand weapon

Faldred

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 06:20:05 am »
FlameStrike - 8/16/2006  8:45 AM

I'm not sure Halflings can use a Bastard Sword, it's larger than a Longsword and i vaguely recall once examining a BS with a Halfling character that had the Exotic feat and it wasn't possible to use.

A character may only use a weapon up to one size larger than themselves.  So, a halfling could use a "medium" weapon (as a large weapon), but not a "large" weapon.  Conversely, you may only use a weapon up to two sizes smaller than you are, so "large" characters (such as half-giants) may not use "tiny" weapons.

Since a Bastard Sword is listed as a "medium" weapon in the handbook I'm reading, a halfling with Exotic Weapon Proficiency should be able to use it, though as a "large" (i.e., two-handed) weapon.

Guardian 452

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 09:56:53 am »
Frin Gues (halfling) used (uses) a Bastard Sword.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 11:08:10 am »
Niles09 - 8/16/2006  6:56 AM

you automatic wield a weapon two handed, if you dont use a shield or off hand weapon

This is just incorrect.

for emphasis:

NWN DOES NOT LET YOU CHOOSE TO USE A WEAPON EITHER ONE HANDED OR TWO HANDED.

I've corrected this in threads previously but as its still being stated I'll correct it again, and maybe the bigger letters will help.

The ONLY way the same weapon could be one handed or two handed is for CREATURES OF DIFFERENT SIZES.  Therefore for any given character all weapons are either one handed or two handed (or unusable.)

The only way for a human to use a bastard sword or a longsword as a two handed weapon is to become a halfling or gnome.

jrizz

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 12:12:20 pm »
thanks TV. That is perfectly clear.

There is no case where the same character can use a single weapon type (like a bastard sword) in both one handed and two handed mode.

Now I can go level my character and not take exotic :)

Niles09

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 12:27:54 pm »
bah! I really hope the guys at Obsidan makes a DND RPG out of nwn2 not another diablo clone as bioware did.

anything