The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Divine Relation:  (Read 392 times)

Krell Himmler

Divine Relation:
« on: March 19, 2008, 04:10:38 pm »
Now this may be a bit of a touch subject for some....but I'm going to say it anyways.

Now whilst I appreciate the fact that divine relation increases the deity aspect of RP, what I don't appreciate is how divine relation basically means that no evil deity worshiping psychopath is going to go undetected for long....at least if clerics use divine relation as much as they "should".

Well if you glance at a few of the good gods you will start to find many of them ONLY have CE opposition. That of course means that if such a cleric finds an enemy of their god they immediately know it's a real bad guy and the career/life of said villain is over. My point goes on to ask the question, how do any of these so called villains survive amongst the general populace when touching this person for the good cleric results in actual physical pain and when it is so easy to 'sense' their evil. It is not logical or cohesion building.

Now, when I spoke to some good aligned clerics OOC many of them felt frustrated with the manner in which the divine relations are carried out(yes there was many, not just one :P). Now I'm sure I'm about to get a strong opposition towards it, but my idea is to make divine relations much more subtle. In my idea/perception of it, when one is going to be raised by a cleric this cleric will have chance to then see the divine relation between themselves and the individual. Making relations important and never the less far more subtle. But under my idea, the whole divine relation spell would be gone from general play, forcing a bit of detective work to find out who they worship.....Divine relation makes infiltration of enemy churches virtually impossible, and I believe it should be....

Now I may be wrong and I just happened to talk to a few people frustrated with how the system is, but I thought I would at least give it a chance for discussion, as if many people feel a similar way about the divine relation system it may be time for an overhaul, after all, it's all about having fun and if something detracts from that then it may be time for it to go.

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: Divine Relation:
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 04:23:08 pm »
And No Flaming Please...  constructive Comments Only...

Hellblazer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:31:12 pm »
Well for playing a cleric ( although powerless at this point) the player can always check the deity relation. The opposing player or anyone around him, has absolutely no clue that it is being done and it can also be done before raising a dead character. The cleric on the other hand, has no idea who the character he just prayed on, specifically follows. He only see if he is allied, friendly, neutral, unfriendly or enemy. Hence if lex casted deity relation on Lucius, all he would know is that he is an enemy, he wouldn't know from which enemy God, but he would know who his enemies are. There for if he wanted to know exactly which it is, he would have to still make the research and tracking down. It's not all deities that requires them to exterminate the "evil" follower, and some will more likely require them to be charged forward in front of the law first.

What you are essentially proposing if I am not mistaken is that the spell be made an automation, hence more coding. Now you have to remember that the spell in it self, RP wise is not a spell, It's a feeling that the cleric has casted down by his god. Basically what I mean by that, is that if the cleric would approach some one that is evil, through his God, he would sense that this person follows an evil God. Call it constant communication between the cleric and his God.

Basically, as long as the Cleric and the opposing player remember that the spell is not a spell and can not be seen (even if there is a animation for it) it is very subtle. It falls to the player to then rp properly their deity relationship or suffer the consequences that their God have in store for such offenses.

You also have to remember the fact that anyone who decides to follow an evil god, knows from the start that it will not be easy and that their will be some repercussions to his allegiances. A follower of a God that is made illegal on many lands, should indeed fear for his life on a constant basis and in such the possibility of him being found out is very high.

Krell Himmler

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »
Quote from: Hellblazer
Well for playing a cleric ( although powerless at this point) the player can always check the deity relation. The opposing player or anyone around him, has absolutely no clue that it is being done and it can also be done before raising a dead character. The cleric on the other hand, has no idea who the character he just prayed on, specifically follows. He only see if he is allied, friendly, neutral, unfriendly or enemy. Hence if lex casted deity relation on Lucius, all he would know is that he is an enemy, he wouldn't know from which enemy God, but he would know who his enemies are.

What you are essentially proposing if I am not mistaken is that the spell be made an automation, hence more coding. Now you have to remember that the spell in it self, RP wise is not a spell, It's a feeling that the cleric has casted down by his god. Basically what I mean by that, is that if the cleric would approach some one that is evil, through his God, he would sense that this person follows an evil God. Call it constant communication between the cleric and his God.

Basically, as long as the Cleric and the opposing player remember that the spell is not a spell and can not be seen (even if there is a animation for it) it is very subtle. It falls to the player to then rp properly their deity relationship or suffer the consequences that their God have in store for such offenses.

What I meant was a move to greater subtlety, that is it would be impossible to walk up to a living character and determine friendly/enemy status. Only when dead and if they allowed it could you see the deity/deity relation. Maybe not so drastic..... But I mean, currently as its played I shake a clerics hand and he gets a bad feeling and nightmares, I mean...what am I lord of the nine hells :S.

I just think the relations need a *little* more subtlety in that determining the relation between yourself and them is not easy.

Although I think I should mention that this wasn't just relating to me but was a general statement from multiple players who expressed frustration in the manner in which things happened.

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 04:40:11 pm »
Eh you quoted me as I was editing my post :)

lonnarin

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 04:41:56 pm »
Well, nobody ever detects alignment with this spell, so clerics automatically assuming somebody worships Corath or Pyrtechon are making a huge leap of speculation.  Bear in mind that many LG gods are apposed for some reason to NG gods and that some, like Dorand and Grannoch, are the same general alingment but hate eachother racially.  So if somebody casts this spell and screams "corathite!" in the middle of town square, odds are they are metagaming still.  I'd love to see a layman Aeridenite for example who decides he looks more slim wearing black, and to have a Voraxian zealot charge him with being a Corathite.  Meanwhile Sulterio has no friends, so all those priests in Prantz see the enemy wherever they look... no wonder they just simply banned all religion except their own!  Rofirien likes them however, and if he be the god of justice, then justice truly be madness, heh.

The key thing with this spell is for clerics not to metagame past what it directly tells you and leap to a false conclusion.  All it states is how much YOUR god likes THEIRS, not even visa versa.  Hence Farros for example gets spat upon by clerics of Folian who refuse to heal him, when whenever Farros looks at them Xeen says she loves Folian.  I would suggest that clerics use this ability as a loose guide at best, for one, they could be looking down at a truly friendly person for little reason other than Shadon put the whoopie cushion under their god's butt 30,000 years ago.  Secondly, this spell will never determine alignment!  Remember that cleric alignments shift slightly from gods, and other followers of strong faith might not even have the same alignment at all... just look at all those CG and CN Voraxian Battleragers!  Plenty of Corathite Black Wizards are far more lawful than their brethren, and even a few could be labelled amoral rather than immoral.  There are even LE Rofirienites out there!  How does Toran ally with that?  Furthermore, there are millions of faithless out there spanning all the alignments... so dont for a second breathe easy if somebody turns out to be "neutral" to your god... lest you wind up with Ogzug who honestly should be enemy to every single god there is since he hates them all with a passion.

So yeah, while it shows one specific relationship it is hardly omniscience.  The clerics who think it tells all will be sorely reminded of their folly the next time they come across an evil rofirienite, a good shadonite, chaotic or evil Voraxian, etc.  David Koresh, Jim Jones, Hitler, Saddam Hussein and Reverend Phelps all WORSHIPPED the same God of Abraham... how LG were they?  Just because somebody worships the same god as you, doesn't make them any less dangerous to you.  In fact, those are often the bloodiest of conflicts, when sectarian violence breaks out and both sides consider eachother wicked heretics.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:42:30 pm »
Remember, Krell, yer also not playing a Worshipper of just any "evil" god.  Your Character is a follower of "THE" Evil God...  Corath...  Chaotic Evil...  Not too many worse Gods out there...  How a Toranite, for Instance would react to you would be understandably painful...  Corath and Toran or the Worst of Enemies...

Now Toran and Beryl, or Rofirein for instance, might make them feel bad, but Corath?  *shivers*  

Just remember, your an Extreme case

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 04:47:43 pm »
Meanwhile Sulterio has no friends, so all those priests in Prantz see the enemy wherever they look... no wonder they just simply banned all religion except their own! Rofirien likes them however, and if he be the god of justice, then justice truly be madness, heh
[LORE]Rofirein[/LORE] is Unfriendly with Sulterio, Lonn, just so you know ;)

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
Well, nobody ever detects alignment with this spell, so clerics automatically assuming somebody worships Corath or Pyrtechon are making a huge leap of speculation.  Bear in mind that many LG gods are apposed for some reason to NG gods and that some, like Dorand and Grannoch, are the same general alingment but hate eachother racially.  So if somebody casts this spell and screams "corathite!" in the middle of town square, odds are they are metagaming still.  I'd love to see a layman Aeridenite for example who decides he looks more slim wearing black, and to have a Voraxian zealot charge him with being a Corathite.  Meanwhile Sulterio has no friends, so all those priests in Prantz see the enemy wherever they look... no wonder they just simply banned all religion except their own!  Rofirien likes them however, and if he be the god of justice, then justice truly be madness, heh.

The key thing with this spell is for clerics not to metagame past what it directly tells you and leap to a false conclusion.  All it states is how much YOUR god likes THEIRS, not even visa versa.  Hence Farros for example gets spat upon by clerics of Folian who refuse to heal him, when whenever Farros looks at them Xeen says she loves Folian.  I would suggest that clerics use this ability as a loose guide at best, for one, they could be looking down at a truly friendly person for little reason other than Shadon put the whoopie cushion under their god's butt 30,000 years ago.  Secondly, this spell will never determine alignment!  Remember that cleric alignments shift slightly from gods, and other followers of strong faith might not even have the same alignment at all... just look at all those CG and CN Voraxian Battleragers!  Plenty of Corathite Black Wizards are far more lawful than their brethren, and even a few could be labelled amoral rather than immoral.  There are even LE Rofirienites out there!  How does Toran ally with that?  Furthermore, there are millions of faithless out there spanning all the alignments... so dont for a second breathe easy if somebody turns out to be "neutral" to your god... lest you wind up with Ogzug who honestly should be enemy to every single god there is since he hates them all with a passion.

So yeah, while it shows one specific relationship it is hardly omniscience.  The clerics who think it tells all will be sorely reminded of their folly the next time they come across an evil rofirienite, a good shadonite, chaotic or evil Voraxian, etc.  David Koresh, Jim Jones, Hitler, Saddam Hussein and Reverend Phelps all WORSHIPPED the same God of Abraham... how LG were they?  Just because somebody worships the same god as you, doesn't make them any less dangerous to you.  In fact, those are often the bloodiest of conflicts, when sectarian violence breaks out and both sides consider eachother wicked heretics.

True this is something I forgot to mention in my post. It is only what the God of the cleric that prays this, feels toward the God of the one being prayed on.

Krell Himmler

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 04:48:34 pm »
I know but using the book of vile darkness as a guide line, in order to inflict such feelings on good aligned clerics and paladins one must have done acts of great evil far beyond even just a few murders and so i ask myself, every Cleric/Paladin feels an evil presence when I walk by, why is not every single Corathite dead a LONG time ago!

I was just asking for more subtlety to make it a bit more interesting...right now clerics act like a divining wand *pun intended* against all evil followers. Some subtlety would increase the trechary and plot turns :D.

For example:

Method in which to rout all evil dieties from the land:

Get one cleric of Prunilla
Point at all citizens
Rinse and repeat until done, all oppositions of Prunilla are of course evil.

# Enemy:

* Pyrtechon
    * Shadon
    * Branderback
    * Corath
    * Baraeon Ca'Duz
    * Sulterio
    * Vierdri'ira
    * Grand

Aeridin

# Enemy:

* Pyrtechon
    * Shadon
    * Branderback
    * Corath
    * Baraeon Ca'Duz
    * Vierdri'ira
    * Grand

Lucinda

# Enemy:

* Pyrtechon
    * Shadon
    * Branderback
    * Toran
    * Corath
    * Baraeon Ca'Duz
    * Vierdri'ira

Now there may be more but I just clicked on a few and as you see, all enemies of these dieties are evil. (you will notice Toran on the list but naturally every Toranite will be decked in their gods apparel....all of the rest will not).

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:52:58 pm »
Remember that the "spell" STILL does not say anything about feelings towards a Character...  and also think about this...

Wouldn't  Corathite Priest get the same feeling from a Toranite as a Toranite gets from a Corathite?  I doubt it works one way...

And again, do not take something that might be unique to your situation and assume its true for everyone...  You know what Situation I mean...  Yer the only Corathite I know thats friendly with a Toranite...  Shiff used to follow Beryl, who Toran also hates...  It was a quite different situation...

Hellblazer

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 04:53:19 pm »
It's not just evil. If they say they sense you are evil without knowing who the char is then it is clearly metagaming. As it was stated before in other threads, and here by Lonnarin. It is only the perception of your god toward the players god. So basically the player only knows you are an enemy. But in his list of enemies, depending on which got it is, there could be a good God too. So it falls on the players shoulder to be careful on how he reacts to his own spell and make sure he is not using ooc information.

Also worth to mention that I have seen and talked to a Gm about Cleric being able to sense "Evil" and it is not permitted. Only the Paladin can do that.

Hellblazer

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 04:54:17 pm »
Quote from: Krell Himmler

# Enemy:

* Pyrtechon
    * Shadon
    * Branderback
    * Toran
    * Corath
    * Baraeon Ca'Duz
    * Vierdri'ira

Now there may be more but I just clicked on a few and as you see, all enemies of these dieties are evil. (you will notice Toran on the list but naturally every Toranite will be decked in their gods apparel....all of the rest will not).

err Toran evil?? :o

Krell Himmler

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:58:37 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
Remember that the "spell" STILL does not say anything about feelings towards a Character...  and also think about this...

Wouldn't  Corathite Priest get the same feeling from a Toranite as a Toranite gets from a Corathite?  I doubt it works one way...

And again, do not take something that might be unique to your situation and assume its true for everyone...  You know what Situation I mean...  Yer the only Corathite I know thats friendly with a Toranite...  Shiff used to follow Beryl, who Toran also hates...  It was a quite different situation...

I was actually talking about other situations not relating to myself in this instance.....I am actually on friendly terms IG with clerics of other gods also. Az'atta being one of them. Aerdin another and Lucinda yet another. But I conduct majority of my IG relationships with a degree of subtlety ;).

If you look at the list below you will see certain deities which have ONLY evil gods as enemies. The point I'm making is such a character will know your god is evil.

@Hellblazer
I know Toran was there, but I mentioned that it is quite easy to exclude Toran from the list and narrow it down to the evil do-ers as they tend to wear those nice big Ankhs and blue. The others are usually a little secretive.

But I'd rather not detract from the main debat....is it feasible/desirable to have more subtle relations? If one is to weight up the pro's and con's that is.

@Shiff
I do to some degree enjoy the dynamics of the relationship in which there are two juxtaposed ideologies/deities at work in what one may argue is a struggle for moral supremacy ;). I assure you, the event which sparked this post is completely unrelated to the event you are thinking of.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 05:00:40 pm »
Toran isn't evil  :P  Lucinda just thinks he's a butt head and hates him for it ;)

Hellblazer

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 05:00:50 pm »
Actually Krell, the player doesn't know you are evil. He knows your char follows an Evil God. There is a major distinction in there. Again it falls onto the Player not to go with ooc info unfortunately. The spells doesn't hand out the Alignment of lucius or any other character for that matter.

lonnarin

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 05:00:56 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
[LORE]Rofirein[/LORE] is Unfriendly with Sulterio, Lonn, just so you know ;)

Doh, could have sworn they used to be closer before.

In any case, you get the picture.  Sulterio likes Shadon for some reason, and the chart doesnt even mention how Shadon feels about Sulterio, Xeen loves Folian, Folian hates Xeen, Grand seems willing to take on Dorand, Vorax and Sulterio all at once even though Sulterio hates Vorax and couldnt care less about Dorand and visa versa.  Sulterio LOVES Pyrtechon who dislikes the little grubber in return... etc.  The whole thing is topsy turvey, so taking diety relationships at face value alone makes little sense.  Some of these relationships are from events millenia ago in the past for whom only the gods know why.

I always had a theory over why Xeen hates both Pyrtechon AND Rofirien.  Because whenever a firey dragon or Johnny Law show up at your front doorstep, the party is over. ;)

(just keeps picturing Sulterio following around Pyrtechon pestering him in the hells asking him over and over like an adoring hyperactive kid to let him ride his back, swim in his gold pile, help him kill Toran... with the Red Dragon dismissing him annoyedly like that Warner Brother's Sheepdog... "nah... *smack*")

Krell Himmler

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 05:03:45 pm »
Quote from: Hellblazer
Actually Krell, the player doesn't know you are evil. He knows your char follows an Evil God. There is a major distinction in there. Again it falls onto the Player not to go with ooc info unfortunately. The spells doesn't hand out the Alignment of lucius.

hehe :) if you check again I said they will know you follow an evil god

But great discussion so far, it's good to bring out some things to the open, I hope some others add to it :D.

Hellblazer

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 05:06:05 pm »
Maybe not so drastic..... But I mean, currently as its played I shake a clerics hand and he gets a bad feeling and nightmares, I mean...what am I lord of the nine hells :S.

meant it in relation to this and your other post.;)

Quote from: lonnarin
(just keeps picturing Sulterio following around Pyrtechon pestering him in the hells asking him over and over like an adoring hyperactive kid to let him ride his back, swim in his gold pile, help him kill Toran... with the Red Dragon dismissing him annoyedly like that Warner Brother's Sheepdog... "nah... *smack*")

thats actually a pretty funny thought.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 05:06:20 pm »
hehe :) if you check again I said they will know you follow an evil god

But great discussion so far, it's good to bring out some things to the open, I hope some others add to it :D.

I still don't know if thats correct...  All Divine Relation Says is that your a follower of an Enemy God, not necessarily Evil, since you could just as easily be an opposed Good God...  There are many instances...

anything