The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: For all of those still trying to get the log rotator working  (Read 536 times)

Hellblazer

For all of those still trying to get the log rotator working
« on: December 03, 2007, 01:05:12 am »
Here is how I set it up on my computer and it is working fine.

1- once you downloaded the program and started the install, make sure to install the log rotator to your main nwn folder like so

2: once the program is installing it will launch the configuration tools. I personally choose the text mode with the date and time.

3: I then check the ask for text

4: I save and exit the configuration tool

5: You will now see on your desktop an icon that will be called NwN.

6: You have to take that Icon and put it in your main folder of NWN where the exe is. It will ask you if you want to replace the previous exe with that file. Select Yes.

7: Once that is done, create a shortcut of the new exe that you just placed in the Nwn folder.

8: Always start the game with the new shortcut. It will make a dos application start. DO not close that else your logs will not save. Once you close the game, it will pop you a box where you can enter the name of the log. Voila! tested and has been working for me for over a year.

Enjoy!

You can then change the icon image to one that fits more the NWN icons. Also if the game crash use debug to be able to save your logs

The following users thanked this post: Chazzler, jrizz, Masterjack, Lynn1020

Tanman

Re: For all of those still trying to get the log rotator working
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 03:20:58 am »
If you want to create direct links to the server using the Gnome Log Rotator, follow this link:

http://forums.layonara.com/501502-post4.html

Just double click the cmd file you created and it loads the GLR and also the server you want to log into.

I could see if i can upload the shortcuts to see if it makes it easier for players.

Hellblazer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 04:57:34 pm »
Someone might want to sticky this.

Weeblie

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:02:56 pm »
You actually forgot the most important steps when it comes to logging...

Enabling them in the nwnplayer.ini (or nwn.ini?) file!

lonnarin

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:30:11 pm »
Help!  Somewhere between steps 5 and 6 my waterfall turned into a cat!

:)

Honora

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 05:53:14 pm »
Kitty!

Oh, that wasn't the point?

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:14:16 pm »
To finish hijacking this thread (and I swear, the cat made me do it):

xkcd - A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language - By Randall Munroe

An explanation.

Hellblazer

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:22:47 am »
Quote from: Weeblie
You actually forgot the most important steps when it comes to logging...

Enabling them in the nwnplayer.ini (or nwn.ini?) file!

actually no. I never had too.

Quote from: lonnarin
Help!  Somewhere between steps 5 and 6 my waterfall turned into a cat!

:)

Wallmaster, little utility that changes my background every 5 minutes :)

and that pic is my defunct cat :(

Lynn1020

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 12:01:57 am »
Yay!!  With Hellblazer talking me through it I finally got this set up.  Thanks again for your help!!!  :)

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 05:40:53 pm »
Pleasure, anytime for anyone else too

lonnarin

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:01:54 pm »
What if it never allows you to click the box "ask for text" and the thing only creates a runtime error 53?

Not working at all here.

Hellblazer

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 08:50:56 pm »
I'll check into that, never seen that. Just for the sake of it, what os are you running? and did you install the log rotator into the nwn directory under its own folder? also are you starting the game with the exe provided by the log rotator?

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 02:12:40 pm »
Running an antiquated version of XP notorious for crashing.  the folder path is C: \\NeverwinterNights\\NWN\\Gnomish Log Rotator .

Starting via the other exe works per normal, but doesnt seem to be saving logs.

Hellblazer

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 02:21:33 pm »
If you don't start the game by using the exe provided with the log rotator, the dos application wont start and it wont save the log.

Undertowe

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 05:59:06 pm »
    Hi folks, this is the author of Gnomish Log Rotator. I'm sorry to see that you've been having trouble getting GLR to work. It's become a bit antiquated, I admit, so I'm not surprised. At any rate, I've released a new version called Gnomish Log Rotator 5000 which should do the trick.

Gnomish Log Rotator 5000 v1.0 -- Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault

Thanks for your support. If you find this new version useful, please vote for it on the download page.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 09:29:02 pm »
    Through the haze comes a knight upon a steed; what penitence will he ask for?

Thanks for the update!

Hellblazer

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 12:39:59 pm »
    Thank you mate for this update will try it out soon.

I will ofcourse update this thread witha  new walk trough just in case.

Hellblazer

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 01:38:07 am »
    Well with the new patch of Bioware for the game, it kinda skewed up the log saving.

1- (the most important I think) The server message window (where the combat stats appears) is no longer saved in the logs.It will also not save the transduction for the ears. What I mean by that is that beside the one writing the text, none of the others will have the transduction that appeared in the server message window saved anymore.

2- The time and date are no longer saved into the logs. So you get a big bunch of text from player talking, with no time reference.

This unfortunately is a big bug that, after talking with the creator of the log rotators, he has no control over.  Even if you manually rotate your own logs, if you look into the log file, you will not see any dates or any combat information. Undertowe posted that on the next installment of the log rotators, the option to manually name your log will be restored.

Tested with both the old version and the new version of the log rotators.

If anyone found a way of circumventing this, could you post it here please?

Dorganath

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 09:23:51 am »
    This may not be a 1.69 issue and may be more an issue of what .INI file settings you have in place.  I seem to recall you had to completely reinstall for some reason around the time of our upgrade to 1.69, which of course means all your previous settings were probably lost.  Here's some thoughts:

First, there's two INI file options for enabling logging, but you should use the one referenced in this thread to get the time stamps and the language translations:
    http://forums.layonara.com/general-discussion/93636-chat-logging.html

There's another option for logging that's just "EnableChatLogging=1" or something similar, but this only includes text that appears in the left hand window, and excludes pretty much everything in the right pane including server messages, translations and combat info.  It also does not log timestamps.

I'm guessing you have this second one enabled, not "ClientEntireChatWindowLogging=1"

I'm still using the "old" GLR (I think) and haven't had any problems with logging or rotation since moving to 1.69.

Hellblazer

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 10:01:13 am »
    Ah there you go, you were right dorg but you also need the clientchatlogon=1 to be there else it doesnt work. Wonder why I didn't have that before on my old settings and it worked??.. oh well. all back to normal now.

anything