The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Half Giants and Alignment  (Read 113 times)

Gulnyr

Half Giants and Alignment
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:19:17 pm »
I was looking at the server status page and saw the Half Giant character Han Woad is a Monk.  Since Half Giant Monks have been denied in the past, I searched for the character submission.  There I saw that Ice did not say Lawful Half Giants are impossible, but are very rare.

I checked out the Half Giant race page.  Under the heading "Alignment," it says that Half Giants are as diverse as Humans, but aren't likely to be Lawful Good or Chaotic Evil and tend toward Chaotic.  At the very bottom of the page, though, it still says Half Giants cannot be Lawful.

So, that's a little inconsistant and confusing.

lonnarin

Re: Half Giants and Alignment
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 12:38:24 pm »
On this server I always thought half giants had to start off as partially chaotic as well.  Of course giant species range across the whole spectrum of extremes, LE for Fire and Frost, CE for Hill and various oafish types, NE for Forrest ones, Goodly titans and cloud giants, CN Stone ones, and countless other variations of giantkin.  We'd have to specify exactly what type of Giant we're talking about here... ;)

I always wished there were a byline where you could be lawful if you took the feat for /5 Natural DR for either cold or fire, signifying which type of parentage you held.  Chaotic Rock types could take improved Fortitude, Goodly cloud halfbreeds DR /5 electric... etc, and must be chaotic without any feats for the now standard, Hill Giant descendant.  It'd make the half-giant race mirror Grannoch's faith and lineage more appropriately, letting the giantkin attune physically to their own elemental domains.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 01:02:00 pm »
huh....  yeah, that is a little confusing, gulnyr...

stragen

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 01:57:21 pm »

Here is something more confusing and possibly inconsistant.  Grannoch the mother of giants is a LAWFUL diety.  Almost all of her clerics are LAWFUL-something with a few TRUE-NEUTRAL, and they are usually [giant,] half-giant, or humans with giant in their ancestory.  So most half-giant clerics following Grannoch would be LAWFUL.  Expect that the Half-Giant race infomation states that Half-Giants must be NON-LAWFUL.

Something to think about.

-Stragen

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 01:58:39 am »
It is an unfortuante game mechanics thing whereby you make a Half Giant from a half orcs base calss and they cannot be lawful, so therefore a starting giant charachter cannot be lawful but I am sure if you asked nicely enough you could get that changed right?

Acacea

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 02:05:01 am »
Half orcs may be lawful. ...And thus the half giant monk which brought up the question.