The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: lore vs LORE  (Read 270 times)

EdTheKet

lore vs LORE
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:43:28 am »
I've seen some mixing up of the word 'lore' and the abbreviation 'LORE', so I thought I'd try and clear that up.

Here we go.

lore: That which is or may be learned or known; the knowledge gained from tradition, books, or experience; often, the whole body of knowledge possessed by a people or class of people, or pertaining to a particular subject; as, the lore of the Egyptians; priestly lore; legal lore; folklore. "The lore of war." So in our case, the lore of Layonara.

LORE: Layonara Official Reference Encyclopedia, our online wiki-like system that contains part of the lore.

So for example, character bios are reviewed against lore, not necessarily against LORE.

Hope that clarifies!

Ed

The following users thanked this post: OneST8, Chazzler, cbnicholson, darkstorme, Hellblazer, ShiffDrgnhrt, Link092, tlo2009

Chazzler

Re: lore vs LORE
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:16:10 am »
You sir, deserve a thank you via a button!

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:40:59 am »
w00t!

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:39:40 pm »
Thanks, Ed - this needed saying. :)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 10:52:52 pm »
I would like to point out though the clever use of the Acronym, given one of the purposes of L.O.R.E is to (eventually) store/display a large portion of the "public" lore of Layonara.

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:20:43 am »
Hehe, I like it, could have been simpler with L.O.R.E. but wouldn't be as easy on the eyes as it is now

Xaltotun

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:23:05 am »
Thanks. That's cleared up a query I was going to raise, so thanks.

OneST8

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:15:36 am »
The idea behind the usage of the LORE acronym was mainly for the acronym to become synonymous with the lore of Layonara, however in practice we've learned that it's rather difficult to keep LORE current with the actual lore of Layonara.

Thanks for clearing up the usage Ed, it was starting to bug me too :)

EdTheKet

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:43:25 pm »
Quote from: OneST8
The idea behind the usage of the LORE acronym was mainly for the acronym to become synonymous with the lore of Layonara, however in practice we've learned that it's rather difficult to keep LORE current with the actual lore of Layonara.

Thanks for clearing up the usage Ed, it was starting to bug me too :)

Yep, but it also contains more than just lore (like rules, server info, version info and the lot).