The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: NWN2 article with biggie screenshots  (Read 212 times)

SuperMunch

NWN2 article with biggie screenshots
« on: April 26, 2006, 03:46:33 pm »
I've seen some of the screenshots before, but there are a lot in this article...

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5397

I haven't read it in hopes of getting the elusive frist poast here on Layonara.  :D

Schmack

• Followers of Folian S'pae
    • View Profile
Re: NWN2 article with biggie screenshots
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:33:10 pm »
*drools* so much the awesome...

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 04:52:03 pm »
I hope they break up some stones in that cobblestone texture they keep showing off.  Make some crooked.  Thats way too straight to be realistic (especially incongruous with the buildings.)

Anyway, it looks awesome.  just complaining because making things look too perfect is one of my pet peeves.

Deacon

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 04:56:17 pm »
The story bit they revealed sounds awesome.  I might actually finish the story this time, especially since Layo won't be around for a while.

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 05:01:25 pm »
Those aren't cobblestones; those are brick pavers, which by general definition are straight. ;)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 05:39:54 pm »
Dorganath - 4/26/2006  6:01 PM    Those aren't cobblestones; those are brick pavers, which by general definition are straight. ;)
 yeah, then they break.  And grass grows through the cracks.  and each one jiggers to one side or the other.

Chongo

RE: NWN2 article with biggie screenshots
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 06:55:17 pm »
It's pretty easy to give it that look with placeables.  I figure I'd rather start with a perfect slate to be modified into whatever broken state is desired.  That and based on the tiles in things like the current supersets out there for cobble, I'm guessing there are tiles that offer more broken cobble and/or brick already built in.  That said, some of the buildings do look awfully modern.

Those dire boars look nice don't they?  The dynamic skies look to be well done as well.

Man this new computer is going to be expensive....

Speaking of which, modders are going to have quite the expense challenge supporting NWN 2 it sounds like.  I've read two articles so far that suggest current servers would be able to handle on average no more then 250 areas on a single PW.  That's a lot of servers supporting something the size of Layo.  I'm sure the brains have something hatched for this though.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 01:26:26 am »
this article is a poorly written excuse to post screenshots... I'm doubting whether anyone at obsidian was even involved.

ex.

"For those of you familiar to D+D, Neverwinter Nights 2 is based on the D+D 3rd Edition rule set, with a few h’officially approved upgrades and rule changes, so in effect its more like ‘D+D 3.5’. "
- all I can say is  ...huh?

Anyway I stopped reading it. heh.

I wonder if all the graphics are being passed through a filter in 2d form in realtime.  Looks kinda like its been done in the screen shots, especially to the leaves and vegetation.  Its most apparent at a distance.

@chongo - There aren't tiles anymore in NWN2 (except for some interior type areas where it makes more sense to have them)

Also, the NWN2 definition of "area" will likely be very different than the NWN1 definition.

Chongo

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 12:03:01 pm »
If I understand correctly, the system is closer to being tile based then otherwise even on the exteriors.

That said, I've never built anything using NWN 2... I've only speculated by reading, so what do I know?  ;)

Kuwanger

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 12:19:28 pm »
    Can't... wait... for... game...

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 03:38:12 am »
    Chongo - 4/27/2006  1:03 PM

If I understand correctly, the system is closer to being tile based then otherwise even on the exteriors.

That said, I've never built anything using NWN 2... I've only speculated by reading, so what do I know?  ;)

By the same logic, the game hasn't been released yet, so what do I know of how it will acctually end up?  hehe