The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Obsidian holding up its end of the bargain  (Read 258 times)

ItalianDDog

• View Profile
    Obsidian holding up its end of the bargain
    « on: December 07, 2006, 07:40:23 am »
    Anyone happen to take a look at the v1.03 patch notes for NWN2?     If not it is a good read on how far the game has already come since release.

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
      • Followers of Rofirein
      • View Profile
    RE: Obsidian holding up its end of the bargain
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:04:31 am »
    Yeah, well I'd argue that the game should have already been there at the release. It was released raw so actually making it playable after you've already sold the product isn't really anything commendable.

NEXUS7

Re: Obsidian holding up its end of the bargain
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 08:20:39 am »
    Played it throw and I must say there are some realy big bugs, a few times I was just stuck in the game talking to NPCS with no way out.
    Round and a round saying the same things. But its still good can not wait till Layo NWN2

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 09:01:39 am »
    @Rev: I agree that it should have been there on release. Though I do not personally fault Obsidian for that.
      @Nexus7: Unless they solve some rather major technological issues, the chances of an NWN2 Layo, at this point, are looking pretty slim.

ItalianDDog

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 09:06:09 am »
      Im sure if the community keeps bashing the 1GB issue. They will find a way to make exterior tilesets less demanding but still remarkable. Time will tell.  I hope for the best.

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 09:52:40 am »
      Exterior areas don't use tiles. They're "painted"...the terrain is deformed like a mesh and textured in a similar manner. The walkmesh is many times more complex than it is in NWN1. What they do not have, it seems, is a good way to stream that information to the clients effectively.
        Time will tell, however.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 12:27:02 am »
      Dorganath - 12/7/2006  10:52 AM    Exterior areas don't use tiles.  They're "painted"...the terrain is deformed like a mesh and textured in a similar manner. The walkmesh is many times more complex than it is in NWN1.  What they do not have, it seems, is a good way to stream that information to the clients effectively.
        Time will tell, however.
       You know, what would be uber neat is if they harness all the less active client's connections to help stream the info to the clients that are currently in need of it in a torrent-esque manner, thus lowering the burden on the server to stream all the information to the clients in need when they need it.  Hm, though if the goal is to not have to have a client side version of the module the only clients that would be able to help stream said information would be ones that are in the same area that the client in need is loading.  So.. it probably wouldn't work but it was a fun idea in my brain for about 30 seconds.

lonnarin

Re: Obsidian holding up its end of the bargain
      « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 02:53:50 am »
      Again I will say it... Obsidian was bribed by World of Warcraft to keep NWN2 OUT of the online gaming population...

There's no other explanation for this sheer incompetence.  Gothic 3 however...  it's not PW-able, but it's amazing.

SquareKnot

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 06:45:34 am »
      The best solution so far to the whole "walkmesh streaming to clients" issue is this program called Audolo. It basically uses something like rsync to compare the checksums between the client's version of files (.trx files) and the server's version. If the client is out of date, it downloads the changes. If it were built into something like a "Layonara Loader" then right before you went in game it would load up the changes and then you'd be good to go while logged in.  It's pretty slick and is gaining traction. But it's only one piece of the puzzle that is making NWN2 PW's possible. There are plenty of others. A 64 bit version of the standalone server would help as well.  Some info

anything