The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Player Housing and Estate Agents  (Read 136 times)

Nibor21

Player Housing and Estate Agents
« on: April 25, 2006, 04:11:19 am »
My PC Karana Elksoul and a group of hearty companions have essentially got tired of sleeping around camp fires or sleeping in flea ridden inns. Even a barbarian likes the odd creature comfort, like a bath once a month or so.

Therefore we have decided to club together and buy a house. However none of the Estate Agents on Mistone seem to have any property for sale. There are no houses available. I can't even get an idea of how much money I need to save. Is it 10gp or 10,000,000 gp?

So my questions are this. Is there any player housing available on Mistone? How much is it likely to cost? How do Estate Agents with no property keep in business?

Also do the GM's feel that it stunts the economy by not having player available? As a crafter I would love to have some more storage space to hold bits whiles other required components (my Ox would really like it too :D ). Of course the flip side is that PCs who don't spend large amounts of cash on housing spend it on bigger and better bits of equipment which again possibly upsets the game balance.

Thanks

minerva

RE: Player Housing and Estate Agents
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 04:26:39 am »
If the Estate agents are empty then there currently are no houses available for sale. No new housing will be added to Mistone. There are plenty of houses available on Dregar.
  From time to time players do sell their houses or houses belonging to players that have left the server are released, so checking the agents occassionally is a good idea
  Price wise, on Mistone the cheapest houses are in the 50K range and go as high as 110K I believe. Ones on Dregar are in the 100K range.
  The alternative to buying a house is renting a room in an existing player's house or at the Leilon Arms or the other player run boarding house.

Nibor21

Re: Player Housing and Estate Agents
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 05:47:40 am »
Dregar is on Central?

If so doesn't mean that characters below lvl 10 are in effect excluded from owning property?

As a matter of curiousity have the GMs thought of any moves to encourage higher level PCs to sell houses on Mistone and move to Dregar?

Player hosing is one of the 'sells' of Layonara and yet is obviously extremely difficult for newer PCs to get hold of and will act as an annoyance. The prices are not too expensive at 50K for a smaller house, but lack of availibility is a problem

Weeblie

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 05:52:42 am »
Well, I can't see the problem with lower level characters having house on Central (except for the money part, that is).

House Portals put you in Pranzis, so no need to fight a single monster to reach your "home" from Hlint. ;)

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 06:11:32 am »
Nibor21:
  Dregar is on Central, yes. And housing on Dregar is generally 3 times more expensive than that on Mistone. Level 10 characters and below are not excluded from owning property; lower-level characters are not physically excluded from any of the other servers. The problem is simply that housing is limited, and Mistone has reached its limit. For various reasons, we simply will not be adding more player houses to Mistone.
  Having said that, as Minerva said, occasionally players sell their homes as they move to Dregar, or occasionally they leave the world or are banned, in which cases we eventually go through and place their homes back on the market.
  Also, as Minerva stated, you can often find someone willing to rent you a room in their house, you may rent a room at the Leilon Arms, or you can join a guild and utilize their facilities for your extra storage.
  This issue of housing comes up ever few months or so, and the team understands the frustration, but also please understand that it is just not possible or practical to offer housing for every player who wants it. Technically speaking, the lag would be horrendous. Also, our module sizes are already way off the chart; West alone is over 80MB, and that's without the HAK packs.
  Understand that we're not trying to exclude anyone, but there have to be practical limits.

crazedgoblin

RE: Player Housing and Estate Agents
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 08:20:31 am »
cheapest ive seen is 75k for a house

Olme

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 08:41:13 am »
talk to Ireth IG, she might have a room for rent in fort Llast

Gulnyr

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 10:06:00 am »
Nibor21 - 4/25/2006  8:47 AM

If so doesn't mean that characters below lvl 10 are in effect excluded from owning property?

Central is not as deadly as people like to believe; there just aren't roads everywhere showing the safe path.  Last night, I took two new players/characters (levels 4 and 5) to visit Pranzis via Fort Velensk and Karthy.  The only combat we saw was in the Broken Forest, where someone else was fighting zombies.

As a matter of curiousity have the GMs thought of any moves to encourage higher level PCs to sell houses on Mistone and move to Dregar?

Have you considered any long-range planning, whereby you start early and buy a house in Pranzis so you will be ready when you begin to spend a lot of time on Central?

One of the great things about Layonara is that characters of all levels interact.  If high level characters are forcably relocated to Central, there would be fewer reasons for higher level characters to interact with lower level characters.  With everything integrated rather than segregated, characters of all levels have more chances to accidentally meet and interact.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 10:30:01 am »
Even without a portal, the trip to Pranzis can be relatively free of danger once someone shows you the route(s) in-game.  However, Hlint to Pranzis is a bit of a jog without a portal.  Also, while it will never be quite as lively as Hlint, there is often plenty of good RP to be had in Pranzis, even for "low-levels"

EDIT:  yeah, so, gulnyr beat me to it, :P , and prolly said it better, too

Nibor21

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 09:44:07 am »
So onto the next stage of questions!

I have wandered over the world and realised that really Pranzis is the only easy option. So here is a couple of questions for when I eventually buy a house.

1.) Can we sell houses back to the estate agent if we wish to upsize?

2.) I realise that a house portal will move us free of charge from the house to North of Hlint. At present the only options to get to Pranzis (the biggest city in the world) for me is :

A.) Run from Hlint to Hampshire.  Boat to Point Harbour. Run the entire length of Rilara to get to Karthy. Boat from Karthy to Lorindar. Run from Lorindar to Pranzis. Doing this seems bad RP if you are doing just to pop home!

B.) Portal to North Point at a cost of 300gp and then run the entire length of Dregar. (dangerous)

C.) Run from Hlint to Leilon. Boat to Hurm. Run from Hurm down most of Dregar to Pranzis (dangerous)

Would we have any portal means of movement back to Pranzis without buying another house?

As an aside I wonder how many veteran PCs own multiple houses, not to use to live in, but to make portalling easy, simple and free. Would it not be better to set a new portal up that went to say Pranzis, and drop the usage cost down to around 100gp if you are a house owner/part owner (the return option should also be available with a portal in Pranzis). In addition it may well free more player housing up if PCs feel they no longer need multiple houses

Black Cat

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 01:04:51 pm »
Well, if you ask 'nicely' *smiles* I'm sure we could arrange a little trade. We lend you a key to our house on Mistone and you lend us a key to your 'future' house' on Dregar.
Promising not to use each others house for anything else but using the portal.
Hmm, I'd better ask our Mighty Leader' first. But since he's a friend of yours, I'm sure he will agree.

//not sure if this is good RP though. But I'm sure will not be the first ones to do that

Xandrian of the Farstriders

anything