The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Running NWN on a netbook(Asus Eee 900 linux)?  (Read 251 times)

Xiaobeibi

Running NWN on a netbook(Asus Eee 900 linux)?
« on: December 13, 2009, 05:39:08 pm »
Does anyone here have any experience running NWN on a netbook?

I am not intending to go fighting, but a bit of crafting and talking would be nice, and I was wondering if anyone had used a netbook (perhaps using linux like mine) to run NWN?

:)

Lareth

Re: Running NWN on a netbook(Asus Eee 900 linux)?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:16:55 pm »
I think the main challenge would be if the GFX card can support it, if I recall NWN needs 32 Megs.  I managed to make it run on an old laptop that's probably less powerful than a modern Netbook (Think it had 512Mb RAM + 1.4 Ghz proc)

darkstorme

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:43:28 pm »
I was looking into this the other day.  I'm not sure what (if any) equivalent is available for Linux, but the Windows solution involves installing 3D Analyze to leverage some of the extra processing power a modern netbook has to simulate a DirectX-compliant GFX card.

The crucial problem, as Lareth points out, is the lack of 3D support from the minimal on-chip graphics available in a netbook, so if you can find a program for Linux that (as with 3D Analyze) can emulate that card, you should be golden.

lonnarin

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 09:09:07 pm »
NWN still works well on my old 8 year old Dell Latitude with 32 mb VRAM, 256 real RAM and 1.04 centurion GHZ processor.  I think most netbooks should handle a game as ancient as this!  Though you may want to turn off all shadows, gets really choppy.

Xiaobeibi

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:21:46 pm »
Thanks!

:)