The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Some confirmed Prestige Classes of NWN 2  (Read 166 times)

fighting_cheese

• View Profile
    Some confirmed Prestige Classes of NWN 2
    « on: May 05, 2006, 07:41:36 am »
    Hey people I was just looking at the NWN2 website and these are some of the prestige classes reply with your opinions some of these are still from NWN and these expansion packs

Arcane Archer, Arcane Trickster, Assassin, Blackgaurd, Devine Champion, Deulist, Dwarven Defender, Frenized Berserker, Harper Agent, and Mystic Theurge.

ZeroVega

Re: Some confirmed Prestige Classes of NWN 2
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 07:56:41 am »
    Harper Agent - As I recal, fairly weak, more of an RP class (very much to be taken for the prestige end of the "class"), I like it.

Arcane Archer - Possibly a smidge overpowered as far as archer's are concearned, just at the armor piercing ability that it has, but difficult to level into so... meh. I'm fine with it.

Arcane Trickster - Looks interesting, don't know much. Could be fun, just hope it doesn't suck.

Assassin - Personally I'd like to see the ban (Must be Evil) lifted from the Assassin class and have it include CN and possibly TN as well. It's an interesting class that has a lot of possibilities.

Divine Champion - I've never played it, however I'd like to see a few more holy abilities before I'm satisfied with what I've read. If a "Paladin" was a weapon, they should be like a +3 Version, just my opinion.

Dwarven Defender - Having not played a dwarf one would have to work really hard at coming up with an RP reason to take this class, could get interesting though since the dwarven population is on the rise.

Duelist - *Prays that it's better* (Nuff said)

Mystic Theurge - I'm in the dark on this one, no idea what it is

Frenzied Berserker - (See, Mystic Theurge)

*Laughs manaically as he quits wasting his lunch time on web surfing*

Faldred

RE: Some confirmed Prestige Classes of NWN 2
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 09:13:13 am »
    Arcane Archer, Assassin, Blackguard, Divine Champion (as Champion of Torm), and Dwarven Defender are all in NWN/HotU.  I can't find specifics on Frenzied Berzerker or Harper Agent (renamed Harper Scout?).  As for the others, from WoTC's online reference for D&D 3.5 rules (no guarantee as to what conversions will be made for NWN2):  ARCANE TRICKSTER Hit Die: d4. Requirements To qualify to become an arcane trickster, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria. Alignment: Any nonlawful. Skills: Decipher Script 7 ranks, Disable Device 7 ranks, Escape Artist 7 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks. Spells: Ability to cast mage hand and at least one arcane spell of 3rd level or higher. Special: Sneak attack +2d6.  Class Skills The arcane trickster’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).  Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.  Table: The Arcane Trickster Level   BaseAttackBonus   FortSave   RefSave   WillSave   Special   Spells per Day 1st   +0   +0   +2   +2   Ranged legerdemain 1/day   +1 level of existing class 2nd   +1   +0   +3   +3   Sneak attack +1d6   +1 level of existing class 3rd   +1   +1   +3   +3   Impromptu sneak attack 1/day   +1 level of existing class 4th   +2   +1   +4   +4   Sneak attack +2d6   +1 level of existing class 5th   +2   +1   +4   +4   Ranged legerdemain 2/day   +1 level of existing class 6th   +3   +2   +5   +5   Sneak attack +3d6   +1 level of existing class 7th   +3   +2   +5   +5   Impromptu sneak attack 2/day   +1 level of existing class 8th   +4   +2   +6   +6   Sneak attack +4d6   +1 level of existing class 9th   +4   +3   +6   +6   Ranged legerdemain 3/day   +1 level of existing class 10th   +5   +3   +7   +7   Sneak attack +5d6   +1 level of existing class  Class Features All of the following are Class Features of the arcane trickster prestige class. Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Arcane tricksters gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.  Spells per Day: When a new arcane trickster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an arcane trickster, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.  Ranged Legerdemain: An arcane trickster can perform one of the following class skills at a range of 30 feet: Disable Device, Open Lock, or Sleight of Hand. Working at a distance increases the normal skill check DC by 5, and an arcane trickster cannot take 10 on this check. Any object to be manipulated must weigh 5 pounds or less.  An arcane trickster can use ranged legerdemain once per day initially, twice per day upon attaining 5th level, and three times per day at 9th level or higher. He can make only one ranged legerdemain skill check each day, and only if he has at least 1 rank in the skill being used.  Sneak Attack: This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th). If an arcane trickster gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.  Impromptu Sneak Attack: Beginning at 3rd level, once per day an arcane trickster can declare one melee or ranged attack he makes to be a sneak attack (the target can be no more than 30 feet distant if the impromptu sneak attack is a ranged attack). The target of an impromptu sneak attack loses any Dexterity bonus to AC, but only against that attack. The power can be used against any target, but creatures that are not subject to critical hits take no extra damage (though they still lose any Dexterity bonus to AC against the attack).  At 7th level, an arcane trickster can use this ability twice per day.   DUELIST Hit Die: d10. Requirements To qualify to become a duelist, a character must fulfill all the following criteria. Base Attack Bonus: +6.  Skills: Perform 3 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks. Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse.  Class Skills The duelist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).   Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.  Table: The Duelist Level   BaseAttackBonus   FortSave   RefSave   WillSave   Special 1st   +1   +0   +2   +0   Canny defense 2nd   +2   +0   +3   +0   Improved reaction +2 3rd   +3   +1   +3   +1   Enhanced mobility 4th   +4   +1   +4   +1   Grace 5th   +5   +1   +4   +1   Precise strike +1d6 6th   +6   +2   +5   +2   Acrobatic charge 7th   +7   +2   +5   +2   Elaborate parry 8th   +8   +2   +6   +2   Improved reaction +4 9th   +9   +3   +6   +3   Deflect Arrows 10th   +10   +3   +7   +3   Precise strike +2d6  Class Features Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The duelist is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, but no type of armor or shield.  Canny Defense (Ex): When not wearing armor or using a shield, a duelist adds 1 point of Intelligence bonus (if any) per duelist class level to her Dexterity bonus to modify Armor Class while wielding a melee weapon. If a duelist is caught flat-footed or otherwise denied her Dexterity bonus, she also loses this bonus.  Improved Reaction (Ex): At 2nd level, a duelist gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks. At 8th level, the bonus increases to +4. This bonus stacks with the benefit provided by the Improved Initiative feat.  Enhanced Mobility (Ex): When wearing no armor and not using a shield, a duelist gains an additional +4 bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity caused when she moves out of a threatened square.  Grace (Ex): At 4th level, a duelist gains an additional +2 competence bonus on all Reflex saving throws. This ability functions for a duelist only when she is wearing no armor and not using a shield.  Precise Strike (Ex): At 5th level, a duelist gains the ability to strike precisely with a light or one-handed piercing weapon, gaining an extra 1d6 damage added to her normal damage roll.  When making a precise strike, a duelist cannot attack with a weapon in her other hand or use a shield. A duelist’s precise strike only works against living creatures with discernible anatomies. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to a precise strike, and any item or ability that protects a creature from critical hits also protects a creature from a precise strike. At 10th level, the extra damage on a precise strike increases to +2d6.  Acrobatic Charge (Ex): At 6th level, a duelist gains the ability to charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement. Depending on the circumstance, she may still need to make appropriate checks to successfully move over the terrain.  Elaborate Parry (Ex): At 7th level and higher, if a duelist chooses to fight defensively or use total defense in melee combat, she gains an additional +1 dodge bonus to AC for each level of duelist she has.  Deflect Arrows: At 9th level, a duelist gains the benefit of the Deflect Arrows feat when using a light or one-handed piercing weapon.   MYSTIC THEURGE Hit Die: d4. Requirements To qualify to become a mystic theurge, a character must fulfill all the following criteria. Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks. Spells: Able to cast 2nd-level divine spells and 2nd-level arcane spells.  Class Skills The mystic theurge’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).    Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.  Table: The Mystic Theurge Level   BaseAttackBonus   FortSave   RefSave   WillSave   Spells per Day 1st   +0   +0   +0   +2   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class 2nd   +1   +0   +0   +3   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class 3rd   +1   +1   +1   +3   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class 4th   +2   +1   +1   +4   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class 5th   +2   +1   +1   +4   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class 6th   +3   +2   +2   +5   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class 7th   +3   +2   +2   +5   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class 8th   +4   +2   +2   +6   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class 9th   +4   +3   +3   +6   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class 10th   +5   +3   +3   +7   +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class  Class Features All of the following are features of the mystic theurge prestige class. Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mystic theurges gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.  Spells per Day: When a new mystic theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class and any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of mystic theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class or more than one divine spellcasting class before he became a mystic theurge, he must decide to which class he adds each level of mystic theurge for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Milo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 09:52:54 am »
    Woo! Mistone Alliance Agents in Layo-NWN2 ^_^

Filatus

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 10:05:37 am »
    I think the Changer of Shapes (read Shifter) is also in, but I'm not sure. It's hard to find an accurate list of what Prc's are in.

Shadowblade225

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 10:06:26 am »
    I'm personally not a big fan of prestige classes.  Glad to see shadowdancer isn't on the list, but I'm sure it will be eventually. *Shrugs* I think they're overpowered.  Argue if you will.  I doubt you could sway me :)

Divine champion - quoting ZV "Divine Champion - I've never played it, however I'd like to see a few more holy abilities before I'm satisfied with what I've read. If a "Paladin" was a weapon, they should be like a +3 Version, just my opinion." Ya, DC isn't too great.  The saving throws and the allowance of slightly more feats/lvl are nice and all, but they're seriously underpowered considering the nature of the class.  Paladin's are far superior though I'm sure from a character build you can compliment them well with DCs. But still the NWN1 version of champion - not too great.

I'm not familiar with the others to comment on them.  I've decided for now - (for myself) I'm not going to mess with PrC's.  Some are great, RP is enhanced, etc... but I've made some major mistakes with Mic that I don't care to repeat.

crazedgoblin

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 10:27:02 am »
    sounds interesting

Eorendil

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 10:49:59 am »
    Looks kinda nice. =-)
      My 2 cp on balance...  
      Eh.. can't have everything perfectly balanced to everyone's liking.  It just won't happen.  It's the GMs job to level the playing field if necessary and to use RP and sometimes the weaknesses of the character to further the plot line.. (not to defeat the character or the player though).  I like 3.5E a lot, prestige classes and all.. the only thing I might like better is Rolemaster.. and not the d20 remake.  I hate balancing for balancing's sake.  In an RP world RP is the great equalizer (and sometimes GM intervention) in many ways though if people abuse things you have to do what you have to do.  If you're playing Diablo II or EQ2 or something, *shrug* fine, balance away.
      I personally think they should have coded in all the PnP skills and left a switch for them to be turned on.. many of them could be used in a very nice RP manner, especially on GM'd quests.. Of course, nothing can replace player ingenuity. More times than I can count my players have gone so far left of center on things I had planned out but that makes things fun... hehehe

Lucius

• Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 11:13:48 am »
    Ooh, nice! No monk PrCs though, sadly. Comments:

Arcane trickster: never tried, but I like the idea.

Duelist: Let's hope it is worth it :)

Frenzied berserker: Barbarians are going to like this one, it hits horribly hard but takes damage from her Frenzy class skill. Recommend for mean trolls (lose hp, regenerate hp).

Harper Agent: Poor one, it sucks. Nice RP, but only that.

Mystic Theurge: If they make it like the D&D one, it'll be quite overpowered. It combines cleric and wizard spells in one character, with no conjurer loss. It's not very hard to get it as well.

Divine Champion: If it's like the FR one, it gets to smite everyone that does not follow it's deity. Cool.

And it's sad there will be no Archmages or Hierophants, they're my favorite PrCs for caster types. Good thing the Warlock class is not a PrC, I can still pray for one :P

Chongo

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 12:02:37 pm »
    Wondering what part of the NWN 2 site you got this information?

Most of these classes can be found at WoTC like Zero I think pointed out.  An alternative with how they did it in NWN 1:  http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/manual/

I'm pretty sure they're putting in the warlock and the ultimate ranger/ 3.5 ranger in as base classes as well.  I really hope that they find a new implementation of HiPS that ends up being object/ wall proximity oriented... kinda hard but it'd be nice.  I know the 3.5 ranger only gets it in outdoor areas, lvl 17 right?

At any rate, I wouldn't even start thinking about balancing yet.  It's the multiclassing that offers avenues of power, and I'm sure the team here will deal with that one in good style.

IceDragonDuvessa

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 12:10:06 pm »
    Woo Arcane trickster was my very first PnP DnD character *big smiles*

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 12:28:55 pm »
    Actually, all of those stats look like they were taken from a PnP site - they are verbatim to the source material. Also, NWN has Lore, not Knowledge [Etc.] skills.

A pity, that. I'd have liked the PnP requirements for Duelist.

ZeroVega

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 01:11:16 pm »
    ZeroVega's Class/Prestige Class Breakdown (Color coded for your convenience) Rules of the Various Classes 1. Prestige Classes are there to accent Base Classes. No matter how good the PrC is, you can mess up your character with a poorly build base class. 2. PrCs are made for exactly what the name says. You take them to enhance a central part of who your character is. When one takes a class they'll either be secretive about it (unlikely in most cases) or they'll yell, "Hey look at me, I'm special!" and wag their fingers at innocent bystander's screaming out words like "loser!" or "whimp!" 3. Keep the "essence" of your character in mind. When browsing through PrCs, try not to forget the core beliefs, abilities, and personality traits of your character. More than a few good RPers have been sucked into bad Base Class or PrC decissions by the allure of a nifty ability or title.  4. And remember, the goal during your character creation and development process, is to make a character that is fun to play. For some, that may be a powerful character, for others, a weak one, and still others, that really annoying hyperactive halfling that you hate to love and is just sooooo essential to your party (and is also good for comic relief). Base Class, Friend or Foe? Certain baseclasses multiclass better than others. Some Base Classes seem to be made for multiclassing and there's simply no way around it, while others are more powerful on their own. Each base class will come with a dillema of it's own when trying to pick a PrC to accent it. We'll run over some of the more basic base classes to give a few examples. Fighter - Fighters. Ah, meat-sheilds, tanks, walking pillboxes (Eg: The first to die). Wizard, bards, and sorcerers hate to admit it, but they're essnecial in any good adventure, and the possibilities for multiclassing are nearly limmitless!  The fact that fighters are so versetile is what draws a large percentage of the players to play them. Multiclass with a Rogue and deal cwazy fun damage by delivering "surprises" from behind. Multiclass with a barbarian and swing that club like Barry Bonds on steriods! (Err... wait) Feel a little magic in your blood? Though not advisable, multiclassing with an arcane or clerical class can be loads of fun to RP and give you an edge in the early/mid levels. Moving into PrC territory, there is the Weapon's Master. Swing that scythe like the Grim Reaper on Star Bucks Espresso; bring on the pain cause you know it's hamma-time; or watch the limbs fly as you dual weild longswords (that's for you Big-D). Then we have the Dualist. Everyone's seen 'that' James Bond movie, you know the one where the two dudes fence, yeah, pretty sweet right? (Huh? It isn't?) *shrugs* Well you could still be doing that! Then again, perhaps you're not the offensive or artistic type... maybe you have the body of a 350lb offensive lineman (or Sumo, we don't discriminate), there's always the Dwarven Defender (course the dwarven part is key). Just sit back and watch stuff bounce off your sheild. (Standard laws of physics still apply... look out! Dragon!) To sum it up, Fighters are quite possibly, the most versetile Base Class there is. Their physical prowess can be accented by many other Base and Prestige Classes that help to enhance their skills or add new ones. Plus it's fun it hit stuff. (Bring on the pumpkins!) Cleric - Feeling holy? (Six satisfying flavors, LG, NG, CG, LN, TN, and CN, and for our best customers, two all new flavors! LE and NE! Note: CE has been deemed a health hazzard by the Public Food, Underware, and Alignment Commitee of Layoanra) Clerics are quite possibly one of the most RP versetile baseclasses out there. You know that itchy feeling you get every once in a while? No, it's not lice, it may infact be a divine connection to a deity! Yes, that's right, you (yes you)may have the ability to commune with the divine and ask for intervention in sticky situations!  Clerics with their balance of offensive and defensive spells, including (but not limmited to) buffing spells, healing spells, summons, and "boom boom" clouds are among the most powerful spell casting classes in our world! Their prowess with weapons and armor, while not up to par with fighters, still gives them an edge over most other spell casting classes. Multiclassing for clerics must usually be based purely on RP; since clerics are almost totally self sufficent, this class truly needs no support or accenting PrCs! A follower of Katia? Feel the pull of Nature? You could always multiclass with the Ranger Class! (Only you can prevent forest fires!) How about you, oh great and powerful Voraxian; need more skill with that hammer? One too many broken fingers? Multiclass with the Fighter class and your prayers will be answered *waits for the drums to announce his pun*.  How about PrCs? Enjoy the Shadows? What about Harper Class? Feel like strumming a few bars, how about Bardship! (Note: The Bard class is so underpowered and truthfully useless that ZeroVega has taken the liberty of downgrading it to a PrC, thank you.) Feeling a little left out? Notvery many PrC's to choose from? Don't worry, you kick everyone's glutes without them! Wizard - Tired of pulling rabbits from a hat? Want to end your court going days? (Hey, we all know you thought she was going to pull her legs up... it WAS supposed to be a rubber saw anyway.) Perhaps it's time you thought about Multiclassing! Yes, I'm talking to you, and no, it's not impossible. A pure wizard's powers are nearly unrivaled, but you need a change of pace, lets run through some options, shall we?  Ah yes... that's what we call a sword. We could teach you to use one through the exciting Base Class of Fighter! *cringes* Don't worry, they can sew it back on. Perhaps something less... sharp? Fancied yourself an Undeader? (That be a undead-like wizurd persun fer ya'll proper folk.) How about the exciting world of PaleMaster-ship? Yes, it will kill your arm (and other extremidies) but you'll gain some fascinating new abilities (course you'll lose one as well)... Ah, squeemish are we? Not into that whole killing thing anyway eh? How about Arcane Trickster...? No, I don't know what it does either, go find out!
     Bard - Uh-huh, I realise that I classified it as a Prestige class, but it doubles as a base class, a hand-bag, and a haz-mat suit... alright not really but I'm running out of puns.
      To be quite honest, I would classify bards as one of the least (if not the least) powerful base classes out there. So why list them instead of, oh, Rangers, Paladins, or Sorcerers? Well, it's quite simple, they're also one of the most (if not the most) versetile base classes out there. Let's think about this for a moment shall we?
      To multiclass a bard with a base class, you could go a bit fighter. Bards already have fair-ish attack. I can't tell you how many bards I know that have a bit of fighter in them (seriously, I can't). Then again, if you're truly into the performing arts you could go a little Cleric. If you get into the religeous systems as a bard it opens up a whole realm of new opportunities for places to perform. *cough* Arcane Archer *cough* And of course, for the most exciting career opportunities, we ask that you consider a career as a Harper Agent! Yes, the name DOES stink, but the Health benefits are second to none, AND you get travel tokens!
      Well, I hope I've been able to instill in you what it truly important when deciding your Base and PrC class, epsecially when it comes to multiclassing. It isn't about the title, it isn't about the nifty abilities, it isn't about the development or the RP, it's about raw power baby! *cough* I appologies, it is NOT about the power, it's about the development of your character and the RP factor it has on him/her and the surrounding world.
      This has been a ZeroVega production. *bows*
      //Please note: I had time (all of the electricity went out). So I took the liberty of writing this on my laptop and decided I'd post it when it came back. Cheers!

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 01:12:44 pm »
    Stephen_Zuckerman - 5/5/2006  1:28 PM

Actually, all of those stats look like they were taken from a PnP site - they are verbatim to the source material. Also, NWN has Lore, not Knowledge [Etc.] skills.

A pity, that. I'd have liked the PnP requirements for Duelist.

What NWN has may or may not be irrelevant to what NWN2 will be

ZeroVega

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 01:17:33 pm »
    Wowzer... that didn't come out nearly as neat as when I wrote it. *Pulls out his +5 Scizors of Epic Editing and his +2 Vampiric Regenerating Art Paste of Uber-Stickyness*

PsychicToaster

• Followers of Lucinda
      • Followers of Mist
      • Followers of Rofirein
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 02:19:04 pm »
    I think I saw Eldrich Knight in the video from the IGN site.

Wizard + Fighter's BAB at the cost of any fighter/wizard bonus feats and 1 caster level.  Unless you still every spell you plan to cast, you're still a rag doll.  You're just a rag doll that actually knows how to swing that weapon everyone is carrying.  We all know how important BAB is in 3.0/3.5 D&D compared to prior incarnations.  

I'm also a fan of Mystic Theurges.  Keep in mind, because you need to take levels in both Wizard and Cleric before becoming one, you'll never be as good as a wizard character and a cleric character cooperating.  You're also limited to 1 spell per round (2 with haste) instead of 2(4 with haste).  With the limit of 10 MT levels before epic levels, even though you can become an MT at 3Wiz/3Cl, you'll be at least 5/5/10, so your caster level for each "side" is only 15 at level 20.  You also don't get all those free metamagic feats, your turning doesn't improve, your familiar is always weak, etc.  

So while on the surface you get *access* to all those spells, you sacrifice 4(?) free feats, 15 levels of turning ability, 15 levels of familiar improvement, and a whopping 5 caster levels which can count for a *lot* when facing monsters with spell resistence.  You also have to divide your primary ability score (int/wis) which is another blow to both spells per day, and DCs.

These two and Arcane Trickster are really just revivals of the AD&D tradition of the Thief/Mage, Fighter/Mage, and Mage/Cleric, revised for 3.0/3.5's uniform experience tables and multiclassing methods.

darkstorme

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 02:06:59 pm »
    Arcane tricksters ROCK.  I've played 2 in my D&D career, and I'm quite fond of them. :)

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 06:02:23 pm »
    Frenzied Berzerkers are awesome. I played one in P&P. Take the basic barbarian battle rage... and kick it up a few notches into a swirling death machine. He's like a bomb. Huge explosions of power but blow themselves up after. Heh.

Man... if they are Frenzied Berzerkers in... I already know what I'm going to play...

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 06:48:02 pm »
    Heh, I've always been a big fan of the Duelist, though Arcane Trickster's nifty, too; especially if your DM runs the occasional solo quest for you, or you get tied up often. And Impromptu Sneak Attack... Och. When you add in the SA from Rogue levels... It's like a landslide of d6.

Filatus

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 01:39:54 am »
    PsychicToaster - 5/5/2006  11:19 PM

You're also limited to 1 spell per round (2 with haste) instead of 2(4 with haste).  

There might be a chance haste will no longer give two spellactions in a round.

anything