The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Spell: Endurance  (Read 214 times)

Strykr

• Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
Spell: Endurance
« on: August 30, 2006, 09:51:22 pm »
I am curious as to why I died today in Saudiria after my endurance spell wore off.  I was in a badly wounded state with 30+HP at the time, then my empowered endurance spell wore off and I died on the spot.  Wouldn't it seem more likely that I should be left with 1HP not dead?  Is this working as intended or is there perhaps an issue?  I couldn't take a screenshot, although there was nothing really to take anyways.  But I'd really like to know, otherwise I'll have to burn through more bandages before resting if I do get a beating.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
Re: Spell: Endurance
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:04:27 pm »
well its easy to tell how much exp you will lose. So just find how much you will lose before you rest.

And as far as i know, it is how it should work.

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:13:27 pm »
That's the way it works.  You have to be careful about running around with low HP and buffed constitution.  Same thing can happen if shape shifted into a form with high constitution.  You can kill yourself by shifting to another form.  When you lose constitution modifier you lose the extra HP that comes with it and if that's all you had... Then there you go.  I wonder if that counts as killing yourself or being killed by another player.  Can you get a SS taken like this?

Strykr

• Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:23:30 am »
I'd say, yes you could get a SS taken this way.  It rolled the save vs soul mother when it happened to me.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 01:14:49 am »
it counts as dieing from your wounds, like a Barbarians rage. A lvl 20 Barbarian get +8 to con when in rage.. so thats +80 hp, wonderful for a last kill as many as you can before you die thing. Think of buffing endurance as an addreniline rush, when the rush is over, you stand, or fall.

Makes me want to dust off my old Barbarin.. Mmm

Drizzlin

RE: Spell: Endurance
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 12:47:55 pm »
This is the reason I do not ever cast that spell on me or allow it to be casted. Be glad NPCs don't dispell you while you are low on health with endurace up....sucks.

crazedgoblin

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 01:28:55 pm »
ive done that in the campaigns, after fighting desther and ending up on like 1 HP with endurance up, i sat back in my chair, (as it was my 4 attempt) let aout a sigh and died as the spell went poof. Sods Law NWN style :(

Weeblie

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 01:35:00 pm »
Drizzlin - 9/2/2006  9:47 PM

This is the reason I do not ever cast that spell on me or allow it to be casted. Be glad NPCs don't dispell you while you are low on health with endurace up....sucks.

It's an extremly useful spell. An extra 30 HP or so -is- useful... :)

One just has to make sure that one has enough healing kits/potions...

Drizzlin

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 02:07:25 pm »
Weeblie - 9/2/2006  1:35 PM  
Drizzlin - 9/2/2006  9:47 PM  This is the reason I do not ever cast that spell on me or allow it to be casted. Be glad NPCs don't dispell you while you are low on health with endurace up....sucks.
 It's an extremly useful spell. An extra 30 HP or so -is- useful... :)  One just has to make sure that one has enough healing kits/potions...
 I don't deny the usefulness of it, I just am not willing to take the risk of not paying attention or having it dispelled off of me. I have a DT because someone cast endurance on me and then rested while I was in the middle of a fight.  Now if I see that spell on me, I  right then and there.

Chongo

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 02:08:31 pm »
The great thing is when you're in that huge fight and the dwarven defender is in stance and down to low HP and the last enemy is almost dead and he knows exactly what's going to happen and let's out a grumble or a goodbye right before he falls over dead.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 04:18:17 pm »
I've seen Ogre Berserkers with only a few HP left die right when thier rage went poof. I kept wondering why I wasn't getting XP when they died... Then I noticed the poof of yellow over thier heads.

steverimmer

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 04:34:04 pm »
Its worse if you are a druid and are fighting in another shape, because you can't use bandages or targetable potions to heal yourself.  If you change out of animal shape you die.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 04:37:19 pm »
Keep some normal potions handy, then.

Weeblie

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 02:03:13 am »
Drizzlin - 9/2/2006  11:07 PM  
Weeblie - 9/2/2006  1:35 PM  
Drizzlin - 9/2/2006  9:47 PM  This is the reason I do not ever cast that spell on me or allow it to be casted. Be glad NPCs don't dispell you while you are low on health with endurace up....sucks.
 It's an extremly useful spell. An extra 30 HP or so -is- useful... :)  One just has to make sure that one has enough healing kits/potions...
 I don't deny the usefulness of it, I just am not willing to take the risk of not paying attention or having it dispelled off of me. I have a DT because someone cast endurance on me and then rested while I was in the middle of a fight.  Now if I see that spell on me, I  right then and there.
 Hehe... In my opinion, that doesn't really make sense.  I mean, yes, endurance might make one "suddenly drop dead". But without endurance, one would have died earlier anyway. :P  Of course... This is only my own choice. :)

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
    • Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 05:41:04 am »
I like Endurance because it gives me more HP when I need it, so I survive until I can heal myself *after* combat.  It's a simple matter of keeping track of how long your spell lasts. ;)

edit:  yes, I have had the unfortunate event of dropping into negatives when the spell wore off happen to me...

Varka

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 05:47:50 am »
Endurance is a really good spell.
If you use it you just have to be aware/carefully of the "suddenly drop dead" possibilities.

And let me add...(most for barbarians)
I also use rage as a temporarily "heal spell" as sometimes clerics are not able to heal me quickly enough.
Trust me - it has kept me alive many times

anything