The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Troll King presents: The Explorer Series  (Read 2732 times)

miltonyorkcastle

The Troll King presents: The Explorer Series
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:36:39 am »
I'm introducing a new series for the rest of this month and the next month (and maybe longer) that highlights the dungeons of Layo, and especially the new content. Primarily, the purpose for the series is to allow for those that have yet been unable or simply won't be able to explore the various dungeons/adventure areas due to time constraints, since many of the dungeon areas require a significant time committment to visit.

This series is.....

.... regular adventuring but with added GM spice/help/porting in and out.
.... an effort to give our casual/family gamers who have a hard time committing five+ hours to adventuring a peek at what's out there to be explored.
.... an effort to help people develop new adventuring groups as well as play with their current one.
.... an effort to help new players become familiar with the world and with older players.
.... an effort to allow for slower and more directed, meaningful exploration, without the feeling that "if we don't rush through these areas, this will take ten hours instead of five."

This series is not.....

.... a set of conventional quests with plots and stories.
.... a way to gather CNR.

The format goes like this:

1) Name the area we'll visit and a starting location. Most locations will require multiple sessions, so often the session will end and start within the dungeon. Therefore, the primary duty of the GM is to port folks in and out for these short sessions.
2) Give level req's (I'll aim for high, mid, and low levels areas).
3) Each session runs for two hours, two and a half max.
4) No XP will be offered, save for maybe 500xp RP bonks. The payoff is the exploration and monster XP.
5) The party closes after it enters the dungeon. The party opens again when it's time to visit a new dungeon.
6) Gathering CNR during the trip is prohibited. However, dropped loot is kept and split by the party as usual. This doesn't mean that we can't go to places that have CNR, but gathering CNR is not the purpose. Exploration and PC interaction is the primary goal here.

The purpose of this thread, other than to explain the new series, is to allow for everyone to make requests on dungeons/areas people wish to explore. So, with that said, request away! You've got slightly less than a week to choose the first place to go.

Interia_Discordius

Re: The Troll King presents: The Explorer Series
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 11:45:16 am »
Silkwood spider cave... I've heard a lot of eerie things about it through Dorg and some other people in IRC. Maybe Hlint should be the starting point?

Level req wise... I honestly don't know what's appropriate there. It sounds a bit mid-ish

Aerimor

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:45:22 am »
Simple, but a good idea I think.  I'll make what of them I can and am level'd correctly for.

I'd make a request but I don't know of any areas to ask for that I have not been.  I know they are out there, I'm just not worldly enough to know of them.  I think there is someplace past the winter werewolves.  But I don't know if its an area or a dungeon.

Once again, sound sgood Milty.

~Aerimor

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:59:46 am »
The Silkwood Spider Cave...  good place to start.  I've been there and... well... haven't gotten to the bottom (I don't think)....

Word of advice...  Bring LOTS! of antidotes/wands of remove poison/restoration potions/bandages....  Or just bring like 7 clerics...  ;)

I'd say somewhere between levels 8-15 for that place.  Tyra, Maran, Fleur, and Willy survived most of it (with the help of Willy's 20 Cure Poison Wands)...

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:27:43 pm »
Two for the silkwood spider cave. And don't give advice, Shiff! Make everyone figure it out on their own! ;)

Asmodean

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:50:03 pm »
I vote for the Broken Halls.  
I was in there a LONG LONG time ago and it was very tricky.  It would make for some great RP.  

I also wouldn't mind Arindor's Demise, however my choice of characters for that area is limited by IC oath.

I would love to see some of the new areas north of Dalanthar, however this would restrict many lower levels.  I do not even know what caves/dungeons/crypts might be up there to request.

Andrios

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 02:51:31 pm »
Either the Broken Halls or the Spider Cave sounds fun.  I have never made it very far into the second level of the Broken Halls.  

I would also like to see what is on Alindor and the dragon Isles for future outings.  (Other than Kenku and Minotaurs, respectively, that is)

ystrday

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 02:57:03 pm »
I believe its called the Whitehorn forest, the area near Wayfare, past the satyrs. I have been farther back only twice where the wild magic is, and well not sure what is past the baddies there.

LordCove

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 05:02:19 pm »
Thats the Forest of Moans.... ;)

Bad stuff lives there. Really bad.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 05:18:40 pm »
*coughs* I want it to be known that just because I am hosting this series does not mean that I am responsible for TPK's and SS losses, since I'm letting you choose the danger you want to get into. ;)

jrizz

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 05:20:02 pm »
There is something past that deadly dark place? I am up for a look at that.

LordCove

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 05:27:40 pm »
The host takes all responsibility for the end scene.

Lets go there! *laughs*

But seriously... I know a few places that havent been touched upon in awhile... Enderal Dungeon being one. Hardly gets visited.

ycleption

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 05:55:10 pm »
Places that hardly get touched would be lovely...
I would love to go to the Dark Peaks of the Watchers.. (that place past the forest of moans), I've peeked in there a few times, and been scared at what I saw.

I don't know where Enderal dungeon is, so I'd be happy with that.

If there is something on the mid/low end, perhaps something that would require a bit more exploration than simply a dungeon... A tour of the Dragon islands, or maybe a romp around Vanavar (depending on the levels). I'd argue against something like the spider cave, because it's relatively small, and easily doable for a party without needing a break for porting out.

At some point, I'd love to have a long tour of the Spikes, or the kingdom of Ilarial... places that are difficult for people without a whole lot of time, or who don't often join the high level parties needed.

mumbles

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 06:22:33 pm »
The wild magic area Bye the crazy monks , is nice never made it to the bottom temple  but thats for higher Pcs ,

Lower lvls my choice would be Seilwood spider cave

Chongo

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 12:05:58 am »
Based on your 2.5 hour session reqs... I think I can think of a pretty solid 6-8 session venture that not too many folks know about.

;)

That one would be pretty stout for the sub-20 crowd though.  As for the request format... just put it in as the 'great traverse'.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 12:31:35 am »
Already planning on that one, Chongo. That will be a special case, though, and I'm hoping the next update hits before we try that one.

Chazzler

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 02:41:34 am »
I would say the Broken Halls for low-mid level folks, and the place at the far end of the Dragon Isles, where there is the *coughs* mean thing, the latter would likely be ~20th+ level place. ;)

Kenderfriend

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 08:17:24 am »
This sounds great, the kind of thing I'd really want to come along on! :D
I don't mind the place, as long as it's exciting, but Broken Halls sounds good, don't think I've really been there...
Anywhere I haven't been really, I'm not picky.

EdTheKet

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 09:51:28 am »
Quote from: Chongo
Based on your 2.5 hour session reqs... I think I can think of a pretty solid 6-8 session venture that not too many folks know about.

;)

That one would be pretty stout for the sub-20 crowd though.  As for the request format... just put it in as the 'great traverse'.

Please note Format item #1 that there can be multiple sessions for one dungeon. You then start where you left off the previous time.

Chongo

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 04:15:49 pm »
Quote from: EdTheKet
Please note Format item #1 that there can be multiple sessions for one dungeon. You then start where you left off the previous time.

Yep, it's the aspect I really like about this series idea.  We can break it into 6 sessions instead of not sleeping for two days.

;)