The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: TO GMs: May be gone for most of next to Months...  (Read 320 times)

Gilrod

• Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
TO GMs: May be gone for most of next to Months...
« on: May 23, 2007, 03:08:54 pm »
Hi,

It's Gilrod and my Characters Nathaniel Spellguard and Malik Kane will become increasingly rare (if even non-existant) for until August. :(

This is because I have just graduated law school and will be preparing for the California Bar Exam to get my license to practice law.  The exam is scheduled for three days in the last week of July and the preparation for the exam is INSANE.

I just wanted to let you know that I plan to play in the future (after the bar), but would appreciate my characters not be deleted or home repossessed in the interim (not that you were planning to, but just wanted to let you all know).

I definitely plan to return because Leanther and ALL the GMs make this fantasy escape from the rigors of law so fantastic that I do not think I can stay away! :D

Thanks again!

Nyralotep

Re: TO GMs: May be gone for most of next to Months...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 03:14:37 pm »
Good luck with that!

Ravemore

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 03:15:44 pm »
Good luck.. :)

OldBear

• The Angels Guild
    • Followers of Aeridin
    • Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:07:33 pm »
Having gone through a bar exam in Iowa, all I can say is study hard and good luck.  I am sure you will do fine.

Joyrock

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 05:04:53 pm »
    Quote from: Gilrod
    Leanther and ALL the GMs make this fantasy escape from the rigors of law so fantastic that I do not think I can stay away! :D

Thanks again!

So they aid others to escape from the law huh?

but see you when you get back!

Gilrod

• Followers of Lucinda
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:50:38 pm »
    Well, I took the bar last week.  The 18 hours of testing was not as bad as I thought but you never know with these crazy tests.  I have to wait until November 16th to find out if I passed and will be licensed (having met all the other requirements).  With any luck I will be a practicing attorney by Christmas.

NOTE:  I still might not be around very much for a while, I am scrambling to find work in law and it is highly competitive.  I should be ready to come back in a few months more. :(

Thanks for all the support guys!

Gilrod

Leanthar

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 12:54:44 pm »
    *crosses fingers in hopes that you passed*

Skywatcher

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 01:17:13 pm »
    I hope you pass.  And I hope you find a firm that will let you play while you're at work.  Umm... Probably not but hey ...If only RL could be a fantasy like Layo. :)

Pibemanden

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 01:26:13 pm »
    Good luck with everything Gilrod, I really hope you passed and that you will get a job really soon :)

Mooneyes

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 03:22:50 pm »
    Good luck on the results!  Hope to see you back soon :)

jrizz

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 03:33:54 pm »
    What area of the law are you focused on?

Gilrod

• Followers of Lucinda
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 03:44:55 pm »
    Jrizz,

I'm planning on focusing on criminal law, particularly prosecution. As a certified law clerk I was actually allowed to try juvenile bench trials by myself (or at least with a DA supervising me making sure I didn't sink the case).

I actually got to get a gangmember on a gang enhanced robbery (who also had a habit of intimidating victims/witnesses) off the streets and into a secured school program and get a 14 year-old prostitute into a court mandated counseling program. Even though I "convicted" these kids, I like to think that I was giving them one last chance to rehabilitate before they became adult offenders.

Some people don't like prosecution (or like it too much). I like it because you can get dangerous people off the streets (and protect the community, actually help other "criminals" with substance abuse problems and prostitutes get into court ordered treatment programs through probation, and bring closure for victims who feel powerless.

Don't get me wrong... Criminal Defense work is SO IMPORTANT and I wouldn't mind doing that (protecting a person's individual liberty to make sure due process of law is done and fairly applied), but Defense attorney's have too often to put up with CRAZY clients that are unreasonable and sink their own cases. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to truly help someone who keeps screwing themselves over dispite your best efforts.

Plus, criminal trial law is fun. You never know what a witness is going to say and things get interesting. It's not like "Law and Order," but it beats filing motions all day.

Too bad Layonara does not have a well developed legal system (not that I am asking it to), it would be interesting to role play a barrister in a medieval legal system that has VERY different notions of what is fair and what rights people have.  Imagine trying to defend a "PC killer" or litigate a "PC-PC contract gone bad" in a fantasy court with notions of fairness vastly different from the systems in the modern western world.  It would be crazy (although extremely hard to read all the in-game chat!)

Thanks again to everyone for all the support!

Gilrod

Shadowblade225

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 10:35:34 pm »
    Good luck with everything! :)

darkstorme

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 02:21:57 am »
    So now you're OFFICIALLY Lawful Good, is that it? ;)

Pseudonym

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 02:30:38 am »
    Darkstorme, he's becoming a lawyer!!! At the most generous that's Lawful Neutral. At the most generous.

PS. Congrats Gilrod!

Gilrod

• Followers of Lucinda
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 02:16:36 pm »
    Maybe I should have said I would be gone for the next years instead of "months."

I am now a practicing attorney.  I am a Deputy District Attorney with a County in Southern California and I have been VERY busy (no shortage of "business" these days).

I am a misdemeanor calendar deputy.  This means that I prosecute misdemeanor cases (including doing jury trials) and conduct Felony Preliminary Hearings (first stage prior to a felony trial).

I've been working between 60 - 100 hours per week over the last year so I have not been able to play.

I also got married last June, and almost all the time I am not working is spent with my wife (who once... a long time ago played a short bit in Layonara).

I still get a chance to play pen and paper D&D once every month or two with members of my wife's family, but they like the hack n' slash more than the RP of it all.

In sum, I am very busy and truely miss immersing myself in this fantastic world you have all created.

I bet my character "Nathaniel" and his house are long gone by this point, but the fond memories remain. ;)

It's good to know that this rich world keeps on rolling forward!

Gilrod

• Followers of Lucinda
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 02:22:47 pm »
    I've been gone too long!

Nathaniel has fallen off almost all of the "All Time Crafter's" lists but two (and he is barely on those).

I wonder all the new items he could craft? (sighs wistfully) :(

Link092

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 04:14:57 pm »
    how the time flies, eh?

Good to meet ya! it's always interesting meeting return players.

tlo2009

• View Profile
      « Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 04:24:53 pm »
      Maybe it's time to download the latest files and have a look around.