The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Werewolf origins in Layo  (Read 281 times)

ShiffDrgnhrt

Werewolf origins in Layo
« on: October 09, 2007, 04:49:43 pm »
Is there a link anywhere on LORe or the old handbook telling where werewolves came from?

Acacea

Re: Werewolf origins in Layo
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 04:52:54 pm »
I doubt there is an origin OOC defined at present. IC there are many tales of origins.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:17:48 pm »
oh good, I can make one up then for my other PC to tell.

Acacea

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 05:23:06 pm »
Well, I didn't say there weren't ones appropriate to character. They just differ depending on who is telling them. I know there have been quests in which they were told, though. I was just saying I don't think there exists an OOC entry anywhere at present that says "it was most definitely like so."

jrizz

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:23:10 pm »
No you cannot LOL. But I guess we had best work on one.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 05:30:15 pm »
Can I write one up?

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 05:31:18 pm »
Cause I dont know of any stories of where they came from from IC or OOC, so I was gonna make one up that sounded appropriate for a Folianite to tell

Eorendil

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 06:20:02 pm »
To clarify for jrizz: Your characters are welcome to tell whatever stories they wish.  There are likely more legends and superstitions that exist than even the GM team is probably aware of.  Players are not wholly confined to written Lore where story telling and such is involved.  If they were there are a lot of characters out there that don't exist because they didn't start somewhere that was cemented in writing.

So, feel free to tell stories, make up stories and perhaps even believe them if you want.  However, they may or may not be "The Truth" no matter how much the character(s) believe them to be.  Tall tales, Legends and Myths are just that way.  Just try not to pull too much from other sources and keep the world, in general, in mind.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 06:57:10 pm »
Oh, mine fit the world...  just havent tols it yet

jrizz

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 07:00:10 pm »
Thanks that sounds better.

Dorganath

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 08:34:03 pm »
Lycanthropy is a disease and one that can corrupt the form of those infected.  As for the origins of such a disease...perhaps it just evolved as such.

However IF such an official origin exists, it wouldn't likely be common knowledge.  So yeah, like Eor said, your character can have suspicions, and maybe they're true, and maybe they're not.  But if it makes for a good story, it may not matter.

EdTheKet

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 03:14:46 pm »
Nothing to add to Eor's and Dorg's posts :)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 03:18:32 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
Lycanthropy is a disease and one that can corrupt the form of those infected.  As for the origins of such a disease...perhaps it just evolved as such.

Well, is there a source for that view of it...  I know of lots of other views of Lycanthropy as a curse and as an actual race.

Like, if there isn't an official word on the origins, is there an official word as to whether its a disease, curse, race?  This might be redundant to ask but It'd just clarify it better for me.

lonnarin

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 03:25:29 pm »
According to SCUD: Disposable Assassain, if a lycanthrope lands on the moon he becomes an all-powerful demigod who quickly dies for lack of oxygen.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 03:29:44 pm »
Thats only if he doesnt get his Demi-lich friend to cast "Atmospheric Bubble" on the Werewolf before he gets to the moon

LynnJuniper

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 03:29:57 pm »
Shiff if you want to write something I'd suggest you do so and then show it to EdtheKet here for when he has time. If he likes it he can approve it as lore if he thinks it fits the world.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 03:30:57 pm »
I just might do that!

lonnarin

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 03:33:57 pm »
now just try explaining why werewolves are a bane of nature and werebears are a druid's best friend. :D

Especially since few things in nature are Lawful Good!

jrizz

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 03:41:13 pm »
Quote from: LynnJuniper
Shiff if you want to write something I'd suggest you do so and then show it to EdtheKet here for when he has time. If he likes it he can approve it as lore if he thinks it fits the world.

I really dont like that idea as we are in the middle of a werewolf series. I have ideas on where it is going and working on those concepts with another GM. I dont want to give any of that away at this time as it would spoil the series.

As Eorendil stated you are free to tell whatever stories IG your PC wishes to. He may get it right he may not. But I would prefer that no lore on werewolves be set at this time, especially by a PC involved in the series.

If you want to find out more about werewolves I have given you a in game way of doing that.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 03:44:20 pm »
Well, Latherian has his own story IC as to where they came from, being a Folianite.  ME as a player, has one too...