The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Rawr? - And question.  (Read 430 times)

Lydyn

Rawr? - And question.
« on: September 29, 2007, 03:49:22 pm »
*Ahem* Mostly before I introduce myself to the forums ... how in the world do I download the haks? >.> I went to the 'official' place to download them and the links don't work? O.o I also tried NwN Vaults and the page refuses to load. *Cries*

Now that, that's over ... originally I was looking through PWs because I seem to be having trouble finding one I enjoy. I was at A Land of Dark Dreams (ALoDD), but they began to make chances I disagreed with and decided it didn't suit me anymore, though I played there for a year and a half.

I then moved to Aertheca. More of a role-play server for those who don't have the time to commit to leveling up for months through role-play, etc. Not a bad server, but I am beginning to feel discouraged. I had ideas for my character, plans, etc. but no one seemed interested nor willing to help me out .. and the DMs didn't seem to really pay attention either. *Shrug*

So, I searched. When I saw this server, how you could request personal quests, effect the server, subraces (I enjoy them. I'm shallow. :p Just kidding) ... my face was all like O.o ! (I'm enjoying these smilies.) Only one thing disappoints me, not that it's enough to really turn me around. No Silver Half-Dragons. :( Dragon Disciples.. they're restricted to Red only, right?

That being the case, I have to sit here and scratch my head for a good character idea.

-Lydyn

Lydyn

Re: Rawr? - And question.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 04:55:55 pm »
Oh.. well, the downloads seem highlight-able for me now! Hurrah! Still ... anyone have answers for the second question about Dragon Disciples? I assume it's no, but clarification is nice.

Edit: Also, I wanted to ask if a DM could.. PM me.. or something? I have a couple questions concerning any character applications I may put in.

-Lydyn

merlin34baseball

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 05:00:08 pm »
Welcome!

Under the new player tab at the top of the screen there is a section with downloads.  There's directions there on which ones you need, plus WinRar to unzip them.  I just downloaded them to a laptop the other day and they worked fine.

If you need to see what others have been doing for characters look in the recent approvals thread to get an idea of what is expected bio wise.

Again welcome to Layo!

//edit: eh ya beat me!  anyhow as far as dragon disciples it is a highly restricted (hard to get class)  If I remember right there was one one person who qualified for one.  Might be wrong about there even being one.  Put it this way I've been here about 2 years and never seen one//

s0ulz

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 05:02:44 pm »
First of all, hello!

You couldn't download them at first, because you need to be registered and logged in to be able to download the haks in the first place.

Secondly, yes we only have Red Dragon Disciples available. But RDD is considered a very very rare class which requires quests of epic measure (which you can fail very easily) and some top notch character development.

It's possible, but I wouldn't rely a character concept, especially your first one, around only the RDD class.

Xirion

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 05:03:16 pm »
Hello and welcome. Glad to hear downloads are working for you now.
Sadly red dragon disciple is the only PrC avaliable here as far as I know and its rather hard to have a RDD.

But anyway, its a great place to have fund and I am sure a DM can tell you more about the requiremens for that Class.

>Xirion>

Lydyn

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 05:03:53 pm »
Well, technically, I'm concerned about my ability to make something convincing ... I'll be open about it. I enjoy mysterious backgrounds, strange happenings that leave my character wondering and give room for a DM to do something mystical with them (I like surprises in that sense). I also.. usually feel uncomfortable having a new character on a new server 'knowing' these IC, simply because I have a better time learning lore, history, etc. while role-playing rather than droning through pages of written history.

I hope that makes sense?

Edits! RDD is originally Dragon Disciple in D&D ... one can choose between having a red, silver, gold, black, etc. ancestory and you usually therefore gain their breathe weapon (cold for Silvers, Fire for Golds), immunity to that type, and wings reflecting the ancestory (as well as a gleam, I'd assume from the small scales). That's why I ask.

So many replies. >.< lol. Aye, above is probably what I'll look for more than anything...

-Lydyn

s0ulz

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »
Quote from: Lydyn
Well, technically, I'm concerned about my ability to make something convincing ... I'll be open about it. I enjoy mysterious backgrounds, strange happenings that leave my character wondering and give room for a DM to do something mystical with them (I like surprises in that sense). I also.. usually feel uncomfortable having a new character on a new server 'knowing' these IC, simply because I have a better time learning lore, history, etc. while role-playing rather than droning through pages of written history.

I hope that makes sense?

Edits! RDD is originally Dragon Disciple in D&D ... one can choose between having a red, silver, gold, black, etc. ancestory and you usually therefore gain their breathe weapon (cold for Silvers, Fire for Golds), immunity to that type, and wings reflecting the ancestory (as well as a gleam, I'd assume from the small scales). That's why I ask.

-Lydyn

Layonara isn't quite like the original DnD, so that's one of the very many differences.

About character submissions, I suggest you first read about the rules in the respective forum, as there are a bunch. Some of them came to effect of player actions, some of world events.

Don't worry too much about submitting one. Even if you're lacking in some department, our very competent character approvers will guide you through it seamlessly. Of course you have to explain your characters past dependant on the complexity of the classes and/or multiclasses and can't leave too much blurry lines there- But nothing you can't overcome with slight effort.

Have fun!

Lydyn

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 05:20:09 pm »
Here's a good specific question. Are other 'subraces' of elves allowed (without bonuses, clearly)? Just such as ... say I make an elf that looks majestic and was found mysteriously with no parents or something to that effect. Would this be frowned upon?

-Lydyn

s0ulz

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 05:23:37 pm »
Quote from: Lydyn
Here's a good specific question. Are other 'subraces' of elves allowed (without bonuses, clearly)? Just such as ... say I make an elf that looks majestic and was found mysteriously with no parents or something to that effect. Would this be frowned upon?

-Lydyn

Due to racial restrictions and peculiarities of Layonara, we only have a limited type of elves. It doesn't matter if he was found in the woods or not, he still has to one of those races or at worst a mixture of them. So fool around with what we have, plenty of choice there.

Just saying he could be something special and making up a subrace will not happen. It's not frowned upon, it won't ever be allowed to happen in the first place :p.

Lydyn

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 05:30:42 pm »
Heh, seems a bit harder then I thought. I originally wanted a character who knows little of the world ... and originally more open then most of the other elves as well. I usually don't enjoy playing snobbish elves or whatnot but I enjoy playing elves. *Scratches head*

Edit: I must seem really picky by now. :p

-Lydyn

merlin34baseball

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 05:32:15 pm »
There are quite a few different elvish subraces.  Look in LORE for descriptions of them all.  As far as being found, not knowing his parents etc. the character approvers will ask that you state that he/she doesn't come from royalty, descended from gods etc.

Weeblie

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 05:36:32 pm »
There tend to be strict rules against power and heritage of a submitted character, nothing truly extraordinary can have happened in the past, nor can the said character be of noble birth (unless the ties are completely cut off, with no feasible option to claim his position later).

Having no parents is therefore not possible, because that would likely require a god or goddess to intervene in the "creation" of the character. To put it simply, deities do not actively mess with mortals, unless truly exceptional exceptions exist (for a single character, it's more about in the range of epicness). :)

The subraces are allowed on submission are the ones listed.

Are there exceptions to everythign I just wrote? The good news is... yes, there is. But those exceptions are more or less only available and discovered as a result of a World Leader Development Quest (more info here: LORE: World Leaders ), just as RDD is only available as such an outcome also! In those cases, the character is submitted as a "normal character" but later on that quest, rediscovers his past as "Something Strange (TM)". :D

Lydyn

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 05:36:39 pm »
Quote from: merlin34baseball
There are quite a few different elvish subraces.  Look in LORE for descriptions of them all.  As far as being found, not knowing his parents etc. the character approvers will ask that you state that he/she doesn't come from royalty, descended from gods etc.

Aye, I've read them and it's mostly the personality I look at. Most elves seem snobbish, heh ... but I don't enjoy such characters and neither do I enjoy- ... hm. *Gets thought* Anyways, I won't say... s/he's from royalty or anything. That's .. a bit arrogent on my part. Rather, I enjoy the DMs coming up with the reason why the mystery is there, you know? Like s/he having a ... wind-shaped scar that's oddly tattoo-like. I won't ever say why it's there, but I'd rather give the DM the chance to come up with why it's there ... that make any sense?

Edit: Yeah. It's not that my character wouldn't have parents, it's more ... that no one knows who they are. Again, I'm not as silly to make my character a creation of a god. >.>

-Lydyn

Weeblie

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 05:44:37 pm »
Ooh... roger! Orphan path instead!

Well, that's of course very possible, and actually quite a lot of characters are that. Cutting of their ties to their parents completely by having their parents die at very young age, alternatively having their parents leave the child. My own character is such a child. :)

Lydyn

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 05:48:29 pm »
You guys are starting to make me cry ... is it really that common for people to request for god-children and other ... various oddities that should really only be left for NPCs?

-Lydyn

Weeblie

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 05:56:25 pm »
As far as I know, there has never been any request of any "god-child" and the number of silliness among the submissions are as good as zero.

The majority of the submissions that the great character approval team doesn't approve directly only need some minor adjustments to fit the lore on the server. Most commonly in the form of explaining more and fleshing out the bio. Like... "what about his childhood?", "what significance and how did she get that scar on her arm?", "why did he leave his parents?", "why did she start that fight?"!

Lydyn

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 05:59:50 pm »
Right. So another question, if you don't mind (I know, I'm drilling them into your head by now :p) ... Development Journals and Discussion is where you generally post your Biography and  so on as important events happen in your character's life?

-Lydyn

Weeblie

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 06:09:09 pm »
The threads in that forum is usually refered to CDTs (Character Development Threads). It's up to onself whether one wishes to write such a thread, what the thread is going to be about, and which way it is written.

Some people use CDTs as a diary. Some others use CDTs only to write important events in the character's life. And many others simply do not write those threads. It's completely one's own decision. It's just for one's own fun. :)

... except ... For shifts and changes that requires DM attention, CDTs are generally required. For example, if one wishes to take a PrC, one needs to submit in the submission forum again (PrCs are never approved on character creation), to show for the approvers how much and in exactly what way your character is moving towards the PrC (training with other characters?).

Soo... Primary, it's for one's own enjoyment. Secondary, it's to show for others in what way your character is progressing. :)

Lydyn

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 06:13:01 pm »
Ah, so it's probably best to make one and keep it updated anyways. :p

Thanks a bunch everyone! I finally have a character idea through all the help and thinking. Probably won't play today .. or if I do, it'll be tonight. Waiting for approval, downloading, etc. No biggie though, I'm patient. :)

-Lydyn

P.S. - *Hugs for all those who replied.*

Dorganath

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 07:08:21 pm »
For what it's worth,  your idea sounds actually a lot like my main character when I first started here. I knew nothing of the world, and opted for an orphan with a mysterious, albeit mundane background and let him become whatever it was he was to become in-game, not due to some kind of plan.

So I can say with some authority that you can pull this off.  So good luck and welcome! :)

anything