The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A Very Metal LOTR Moment...  (Read 679 times)

lonnarin

A Very Metal LOTR Moment...
« on: April 19, 2007, 10:27:56 pm »
YouTube - Lord of the Rings - Ensiferum: Into Battle

Lord of the Rings as told in Black Folk Metal doom.  Equally as formidable as cheesy!  The laughing Gandalf is the scariest part, I think.

And I would be negligent not to add some sweet medeival celt metal Moonsorrow. ;)

YouTube - Moonsorrow - Jumalten Kaupunki

Kindo

Re: A Very Metal LOTR Moment...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 09:52:15 am »
I'm sorry, but when it comes to epic metal, nothing can beat Rhapsody of Fire. They even have legendary Christopher Lee with them on their latest album! Honestly, one of the coolest bands ever. Amazingly epic fantasy, unbelievable guitar-solos (just listen 8 minutes into the song), and fantastic singing!

Heh. I proudly admit I love them!

lonnarin

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 12:14:24 pm »
I Love Rhapsody of Fire and Luca Turilli with a passion, their orchestration is unmatched, just their vocals grate on me a bit sometimes. Of course my friend Adam can't stand the viking death grunts of moonsorrow, so it's a tossup... I've gotten used to them.  For operatic progressive metal vocals similar to Rhapsody, I like Kahn from Kamelot and Hansi Kursch from Blind Guardian.  Let me dig up some examples of them in action...

Hansi Live performing Valhalla live: YouTube - Blind Guardian - Valhalla
Lord of the Rings set to movie footage: YouTube - Blind Guardian - Lord of the rings

The Haunting by Kamelot: YouTube - The Haunting ( Somewhere In Time ) - Kamelot & Simone Simons
Forever, live: YouTube - KAMELOT - Forever
Center of the Universe, live: YouTube - Kamelot - Center of the Universe (live)

In my opinion, these two have some of the most extraordinary voices in the business.  Too bad my home country is more obsessed with lackluster American Idol kareoke stars than promoting any really impressive bands.

MJZ

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 12:35:09 pm »
*Shudders* You goinks LIKE Rhapsody of Fire? I... please, it makes me shoot red wine out my nose laughing.

Kindo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 01:25:38 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
I Love Rhapsody of Fire and Luca Turilli with a passion, their orchestration is unmatched, just their vocals grate on me a bit sometimes. Of course my friend Adam can't stand the viking death grunts of moonsorrow, so it's a tossup... I've gotten used to them. For operatic progressive metal vocals similar to Rhapsody, I like Kahn from Kamelot and Hansi Kursch from Blind Guardian. Let me dig up some examples of them in action...

Hansi Live performing Valhalla live: YouTube - Blind Guardian - Valhalla
Lord of the Rings set to movie footage: YouTube - Blind Guardian - Lord of the rings

The Haunting by Kamelot: YouTube - The Haunting ( Somewhere In Time ) - Kamelot & Simone Simons
Forever, live: YouTube - KAMELOT - Forever
Center of the Universe, live: YouTube - Kamelot - Center of the Universe (live)

In my opinion, these two have some of the most extraordinary voices in the business. Too bad my home country is more obsessed with lackluster American Idol kareoke stars than promoting any really impressive bands.

Awesome! I'll listen to them all later, but I'm finishing off an exam at the moment. Woo!

Quote from: MJZ
*Shudders* You goinks LIKE Rhapsody of Fire? I... please, it makes me shoot red wine out my nose laughing.
Pfft! You're just jealous of our honesty. You know you love it as much as we do. It's just not "cool" to listen to anything but modern pop, right?

MJZ

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 01:28:01 pm »
Excuse me? Me? I listen to Tchaikovsky and Leonard Cohen, Tori Amos and David Bowie and you're inferring I like "modern pop"? Excuse me, Mr. I-own-a-shakira-cd
:D

jan

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 01:49:22 pm »
Quote from: MJZ
Excuse me? Me? I listen to Tchaikovsky and Leonard Cohen, Tori Amos and David Bowie and you're inferring I like "modern pop"? Excuse me, Mr. I-own-a-shakira-cd
:D

*grins* Own a Shakira cd ...yup ...love the cover ...got a heavy metal cd in it thou :)

Kindo

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 02:17:18 pm »
Dude... Shakira is not to be bad-mouthed! *Hides*

MJZ

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 02:20:29 pm »
*Sincerely hopes that was said in sarcasm, cuz even Canadian Tire dollars are less cheap* ;)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 03:47:47 pm »
Wow. I feel unusually heavy in comparison to all of that. *Laughs.*

Witch Hunter

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 04:50:29 pm »
I dislike folk... *starts dancing to Finntroll*

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 10:14:48 pm »
Pardon me while I listen to Dark Funeral. It's just that it seems your ears might bleed, so I'll just put on headphones. ;)

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 01:22:56 pm »
Oh man oh man... just came across another excellent troll-metal/folk band...

Korpiklaani

easily the dorkiest of all!

YouTube - Korpiklaani - Wooden Pints
YouTube - Korpiklaani - Beer Beer
YouTube - KORPIKLAANI Happy Little Boozer
YouTube - Korpiklaani

Olde country sound with a New car smell!

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 01:29:03 pm »
Beer Beer was pretty good, but Wooden Pints made me not want to listen to/see any more. *Laughs.*