The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Garent - How old IS he?  (Read 352 times)

d20mushroom

• Followers of Corath
    • Followers of Prunilla
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
Garent - How old IS he?
« on: September 09, 2006, 03:14:11 am »
Seriously, how long has he been around? Was there ever a different Captain?

ZeroVega

Re: Garent - How old IS he?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 05:46:14 am »
Hmm... I'd say at least fourty years in game time.

Pankoki

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 06:10:50 am »
I'm just going to say that he is a really fat elf that had an ear accident. Cause its been way past 40 years for him.

crazedgoblin

RE: Garent - How old IS he?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 06:35:23 am »
lol poor guy hes been walking up and down that path for so many years.....

ZeroVega

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 07:15:54 am »
I propose we retire Garent. Put him in the history books as have a super-human longevity but eventually choaking on a chicken bone and dying and move on. :)

Weeblie

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 07:17:55 am »
That's why poor old Garent was hiding behind the kitchen table when the demons were there... ;)

crazedgoblin

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 07:23:51 am »
ZeroVega - 9/9/2006 3:15 PM I propose we retire Garent. Put him in the history books as have a super-human longevity but eventually choaking on a chicken bone and dying and move on. :)

lol so harsh, i propose that erag kidnaps him and we must quest to recue him :P

jan

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 07:49:51 am »
crazedgoblin - 9/9/2006  4:23 PM    
ZeroVega - 9/9/2006 3:15 PM I propose we retire Garent. Put him in the history books as have a super-human longevity but eventually choaking on a chicken bone and dying and move on. :)

lol so harsh, i propose that erag kidnaps him and we must quest to recue him :P
 Hehehehe...the way people around here go to work with resques ,that would have the same endresult i think  :p

Acacea

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 07:50:48 am »
Bah... I had a whole "let's make our NPCs actually mortal instead of for some reason being granted the gift of eternal youth" renovation plan, but alas. Garent and the Postmaster can be in the cardroom bickering old-man style over Go Fish, Johan opened up a leather shop for his son to manage and sell tailored goods from... It came to me in a detailed vision! ;)

It's something in the Hlint water, I guess. And you thought it was the bindstones this whole time!

Leanthar

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 08:31:03 am »
All (likely 95%+) NPC's will be 'retired' when we move foward. The problem with this is manpower. Yeah I know, how long and difficult would it be? Individually not long or difficult at all but with all of the other stuff going on (wait till you see the next update--and you all know about the previous ones) with the module, teams, quests, side projects, then RL we have a difficult time getting to the NPC's.

They are working right now so we don't mess with them too much as we concentrate on new features or things that are not working.

I do understand (and appreciate) the question and thread...just so much we can do with limited time. We will get to changing them out though.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 09:31:24 am »
I don't see them as any sort of problem, unless you really and deeply RP such depth about the passage of time. That, in any case, makes Matilda about 60ish. Old, for a Paladin.

Acacea

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 09:48:27 am »
Eight-Bit - 9/9/2006  9:31 AM

I don't see them as any sort of problem, unless you really and deeply RP such depth about the passage of time. That, in any case, makes Matilda about 60ish. Old, for a Paladin.

You don't have to deeply count every hour, as the smaller the time increment, the more it is inadequate to use when you're actually playing... But with larger increments, the years and decades, when we have specific events it's different. When I can say, "My character was 23 when she was summoned and is now 40, but this character was 32 when mine was summoned and is still only 33" ...it makes little sense. We're for roleplay and immersion, but add very funky time stretches and gaps and warps, despite there now being a clear way to check the Layodate at any given time, with a list of landmark events that have happened throughout it.

"We play dynamic characters in a dynamic world!" with the history to show that, but many characters, player or otherwise, change only in levels or classes but live in a static isolated time bubble from the rest of the world. "I participated in this huge thing 50 years ago, but I'm only 32!"

I'm not trying to force anyone to be decrepit or anything, I just don't see how far we can fudge the age if we still want them to be a part of the history. I think it is better to make excuses for how well they are doing (such as it being a side effect of the bindstones and being constantly remade, which I feel is perfectly valid, though rough on the soul) rather than trying to change established and updated numbers.

The simplest answer is usually the best answer, and trying to come up with some weird reason why your character went back and forth through time or certain events happened at completely different dates than for the rest of the world, or is living suspended in time 20 years ago, isn't simple. It is much simpler to find ways for them to have weathered it and excuses for them to be still capable... these things affect only your character, rather than decide things for the world. ;)

ZeroVega

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 10:13:20 am »
I highly doubt anyone who plays on Layo for more than a year will give you a hard time about having a fourty or fifty year old fighter swinging a 12lb greatsword in 50lb fullplate armor... not when their 30-something year old is dual weilding 8lb longswords in the same armor.  ;)

Weeblie

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 10:39:52 am »
Ooooh!

*Snaps his fingers.*

I just found a completely valid reason for Alleina to call (almost) everyone old! ;)

d20mushroom

• Followers of Corath
    • Followers of Prunilla
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 12:30:27 pm »
Pankoki - 9/9/2006  2:10 AM  I'm just going to say that he is a really fat elf that had an ear accident. Cause its been way past 40 years for him.
 MUHAHAHA!! I like this explanation. *Grins.*

Wraithdur

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 12:40:41 pm »
poor NPC's, we should start a retirement home, and the reason garent keeps walking up and down the path: he was speaking to the quatermaster and agreed to the goblin ears quest for something to do (it's not all mile a minute fun), when he reached the gate he forgot why he was there, he felt bored so he was speaking to the quatermaster and agreed to the goblin ears quest for something to do (it's not all mile a minute fun), when he reached the gate he forgot why he was there, he felt bored so he was speaking to the quatermaster and agreed to the goblin ears quest for something to do (it's not all mile a minute fun), when he reached the gate he forgot why he was there, he felt bored so he was speaking to the quatermaster and agreed to the goblin ears quest for something to do (it's not all mile a minute fun), when he reached the gate he forgot why he was there, he felt bored so he was speaking to the quatermaster and agreed to the goblin ears quest for something to do (it's not all mile a minute fun), when he reached the gate he forgot why he was there, he felt bored so he was speaking to the quatermaster and agreed to the goblin ears quest for something to do (it's not all mile a minute fun), when he reached the gate he forgot why he was there, he felt bored so he was speaking to the quatermaster and agreed to the goblin ears quest for something to do (it's not all mile a minute fun), when he reached the gate he forgot why he was there, he felt bored etc. forever and ever and ever!!!!!

J-ser

• Followers of Shadon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 02:26:07 pm »
*grins* I figured out Jser is actually in his 50s now, and was considering trying to get his hair changed to gray and have him limp all over the place, but then I relized he's a half elf.

Guardian 452

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 02:35:31 pm »
At one time I was getting hung up on how old Enzo should be according to game time... but I shrugeed it off for the most part and play him as I see fit.  Not as a senoir citizen....  ;)

crazedgoblin

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 02:49:57 pm »
what about erag, is he brewing an imortality potion with his dark soul essences?