The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Let this be a lesson to us all...  (Read 282 times)

Imperious

• Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
Let this be a lesson to us all...
« on: August 11, 2005, 03:52:00 pm »
Don't mean to make fun of the situation, really, but it is kinda odd and especially compelling for our little community...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6448213/did/8888579/

Filatus

RE: Let this be a lesson to us all...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »

Yeah, saw the news on the Belgium teletext. Don't think it's the first time it happened though. I remember something about an asian, don't know which country, doing the same a couple of years ago.

I do think it's important that you don't forget to get some movement during playing. I mean, for long distance flying, some airlines offer exercises to help circulate the blood. Could be something like that happened to him. The way one sits in a chair restricts the blood flow and can lead to a blocking in the veins.

General_Ski

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 05:32:00 pm »
    Food and water would not hurt either...

Vyris

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 06:55:00 pm »
    Or.. a life, but I guess thats a moot point for him now, being dead and all.

Vyris

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 11:32:00 am »
    Yeah, I had read it as well. Thing is, he died of heart failure, which is a chronic disease, not something you die of instantly. So he must have had it a long time already, the heart slowly losing its ability to contract. If it's not treated (medication, diet, lifestyle) you will die from it.
      Of course, sitting behind a computer for 50 hours isn't healthy, but you don't get heart failure from it. But "Man dies of heart failure" wouldn't have been headline news...

Shadowblade225

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
    Sleep deprivation leads to nothing more then cognitive impairment.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 12:50:00 pm »
    ..i tend to pass out at 48... so as long as i stay under 50... ill be okay?... GREAT!

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 02:08:00 pm »
    The problem that happens with sitting too long (has happened to several professional basketball players since they travel on planes between games so much) is that the bloodflow is restricted in the legs, and if it slows down too much for an extended period it can begin to clot (not sure if thats exactly why it clots, but thats what happens.)  Small clots form in the bloodstream and get carried back and implanted in the heart or brain causing heart failure or a stroke.

I'm betting thats what happened to this guy.

-TV

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 04:27:00 pm »
    wonder what game he was playing...

Ayreon

• Druids
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 10:47:00 pm »
    Intially I thought this was a bit funny...

But you're right,Imperious. Let this be a lesson...

I remember reading in gamepro once about some kid who developed some sort of "shaking" problem from the dual shock ps2 controllers. That was 3 years ago, so I don't remember details...

Basically this kid played ps2 for 6 or more hours every single day, without fail.

Too much of a good thing, I guess...

I really hope that things don't spiral too far out of control. It would be sad for every town to have a "Game-o-holics Anonymous" or two in every city. I think I remember reading about a similar idea being opened...maybe even in South Korea? Yikes...

lonnarin

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 02:27:00 am »
    24 hour cybercafes and possibly the most heavily networked region in the world...  at least he died happy.

South Korea has been the focus of most recent studies involving video game addiction that I've seen.  Their culture went through some massive changes with their techno-boom these past few years; something like 90 percent of homes in some cities are networked, from 1-2 percent just a few years ago.  

Their law enforcement is also vigorously trying to crack down on "cyber gangs", which are essentially like street gangs here, but they all meet in LAN games and extort other players for real money.  This basically includes in-game theft, extortion, griefing people who don't pay protection money in real life, stealing from parents or local businesses to pay for harvested items, etc... Also some cases of folk getting killed in the streets for things they did in game.

Odds are if you've ever seen an Ebay ad for a +6 bastard sword of wounding for an online game, it was made in Korea.

drakeyboy

• View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 11:02:00 pm »
      Getting serious... There are some heart meds out there that if you forget to take, you can kinda keel over...

I have to take mine pretty much on time everyday, if I don't I kinda start feeling a bit wierd.
      Ooo, that reminds me, I forgo...

[Slump]  Flatline...

Diamondedge

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 04:05:00 am »
      Wow... He tried to live the dream...

Acacea

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 04:33:00 am »
      My mother called me last week(ish), and told me that she'd seen an article I should read, and I interrupted after hearing "Some guy, in some place, doing something," somehow knowing that she was talking about this guy. Which she was. After that, it went something like:

"You see?" "See what?" "Those games." "What about them?" "He died from playing them for so long!" "It's not like the computer reached and sucked his brains out, unless I missed that part. They probably just thought the circumstances were interesting enough to write about it." "I'm just trying to help you!" "I know. Thank you." "Why are you being that way?" "What way?" "That way." "What?" "That." "What?" "That." "You're exasperating." "See?" "See what?" "That." "Argh." "I got the cutest birdcages at a yard sale the other day, and you need to help me unload a dresser I got." "You don't have any birds." "So?" "Right. I'm on it."

Imperious

• Followers of Lucinda
        • View Profile
      « Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 08:44:00 am »
      LOL...What I especially liked from the conversation is that I couldn't tell if that was Acacea (the RL person) or Acacea the character talking...  ;)

Sylance

• View Profile
        « Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
        O.o   ......I really dont know what to say about that..... :o

cappyra

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 10:06:00 am »
        Yep...  What Talan said.   To add just a little spin to things, remember this:

The media isn't a public service...  What?!?

Yep.  News is the original reality show.  Reality shows...  hmmm  reality?  Maybe... but a very VERY small slice of reality...  It's all about making money.  So with that in mind. . .  What do you think they are going to put in the Headlines...  or on the News...

Something to get your interest and attention to sell papers and to make money.

The News has commercials right?   The Newspaper has Advertisements right?

Computer Games have been getting a lot of bad press lately.  It is becoming what Rock and Roll was in the 50's.  It's Taboo, It's Evil and it's causing Teens to become violent killers!

Ummm  so you would think from the media and some congressmen/women etc.

The reality is... that violence among teens in the Untited States is the lowest in recorded history!

The LOWEST!  WOW  why don't we see this in the news...   and hey don't most teens play computer/console games...   Hmmmmm

Anyhoo I don't have the links to those statistics handy but the info came from FBI research and the graph I was looking at were showing violent crime for all ages over a 20 year period.

Just some food for thought. . .

Dark Jester

• Followers of Lucinda
          • View Profile
        « Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
        Did you know that 70% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

No wait.. 80%.

-Jester

Tedulas

• View Profile
          « Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 01:11:00 pm »
          He didn't have enough sleep, drink or food - Computer games I think cannot actually killed you - which the article is stating.
          They focused more on the computer killing the guy, then the guy drinking, eating and getting some fresh air...

Kapitän Awesome

• View Profile
            « Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 02:56:00 pm »
            In my opinion, if a man saves 25 people from a burning apartment, and a person dies, instead of saying, "MAN IS HERO, SAVED 25", odds are, it'll be more like "PERSON DIES IN FIRE CAUSED BY TOASTER" or something of the sort....The news seems to think people like seeing the negative things, so they show em.

About the video game violence crap, if you play video games and begin to think "Hmm...if the guy in here can kill people, why can't I?" Then, to say the least, they need to jump off a cliff. And if they survive, do it again. Idiots are giving gamers bad reps...I play wolfenstein, for instance. My parents always yell at me to get outside, or the violence will rub off on me or something....They don't seem to believe me when I say that I have never felt the urge to kill, and I probably never will; and I see worse stuff on the news, anyway.

And now, my tangent is done. Thank'ee for listenin.