The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: the meaning of life  (Read 804 times)

LynnJuniper

Re: the meaning of life
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 05:47:24 am »
Sorry but the Answer and the Question can not be known at the same time in the same universe. If this happens something even more confusing and weird will replace it.....

Which has probably already happened....

*grins*

Marswipp

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 02:52:46 pm »
*trying to be funny* Yep, I've happened, and so have many others!
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

OneST8

RE: the meaning of life
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 10:12:18 pm »
Wraithdur - 9/25/2006  11:27 AM

what is it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!????????!!!!!!??!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

My perceptions of life:

Life is a state of energetic vibration.
Vibration is the resonance of being.
Being is the basis for thought.
Thought is a pattern of energy.
Energy is the ability to effect change.
Change is the nature of growth.
Growth is the essence of experience.
Experience is a memory of existence.
Existence is the perception of life.

In answer to your question; I chose "to learn".

crazedgoblin

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 11:29:10 pm »
Marswipp - 9/26/2006 10:19 PM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_13 for forty-two. Four-sided triangle? I only know of a four-faced triangle.

wiseman say if you find four sided triangle you are a genius, or stoned....

d20mushroom

• Followers of Corath
    • Followers of Prunilla
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2006, 03:30:47 pm »
To be honest... what does every living thing do? Reproduce. So the meaning of life is to reproduce. What does reproduction gain? More life... thus there is no meaning.

OneST8

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2006, 05:46:33 pm »
d20mushroom - 10/7/2006  6:30 PM

To be honest... what does every living thing do? Reproduce.

Ever heard of Maslow's heirarchy of needs?

So the meaning of life is to reproduce.

Planets don't reproduce do they? does a planet live? what about the sun? is it alive?

So the real question is what is the meaning of existence?

What does reproduction gain? More life...

Reproduction does produce more life, but what if the offspring kill eachother off? How does that get factored in?

thus there is no meaning.

"Reality is relative to the perspective of the individual." - Einstein

This topic is so broad and vast in scope that entire religions have formed based on their own personal beliefs and understanding of their reality.

If there truly is no meaning to life then why are you bothering to post here? It'd be meaningless to express your opinion because life is meaningless. Why play Layonara at all? The joy you derive from it's entertainment is meaningless, life is meaningless.

Personally, I'd rather look at life as full of inifinite meaning. Under every stone is a story that bestows meaning to it's purpose as an assertion of it's existence.

Wraithdur

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 01:30:07 am »
OneST8, i think d20 mushroom was talking about us carbon based monkeys, as opposed to vast ecosystems
(i think he was also speaking about any other carbon based lifeform)
but then again, a d20 mushroom doesn't make much sense, in fact, wraithdur doesn't make sense, what is one? what is it's meaning?
i think i'll start a thread on the meaning of life

d20mushroom

• Followers of Corath
    • Followers of Prunilla
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 03:23:37 am »
"If there truly is no meaning to life then why are you bothering to post here? It'd be meaningless to express your opinion because life is meaningless."

Sure, it is meaningless. But that doesn't stop people from doing it. Of course, this is my opinion on things. Anyone who presents their opinion as a fact is a fool - in my opinion.

OneST8

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 04:30:53 am »
Anyone who presents their opinion as a fact is a fool - in my opinion.

Uh, you presented your opinion as fact.

I presented my perspective on reality.

Is there a difference? You decide.

I'm sorry for replying to your post on this thread in the first place, I didn't intend any offense. I have a bad habit of trying to persuede people out of their negative mantras when I should just be quiet.

d20mushroom

• Followers of Corath
    • Followers of Prunilla
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2006, 08:15:59 am »
OneST8 - 10/8/2006 12:30 AM  
Anyone who presents their opinion as a fact is a fool - in my opinion.
 Uh, you presented your opinion as fact.  
 I said "Anyone who presents their opinion as a fact is a fool - in my opinion."
  My opinion on the matter is; why does it even have to have a meaning? It's not a negative mantra. It's just a way of looking at it... just as you look at life as having infinite meaning.
  I personally agree with Ne'er; "There is no meaning to life. The question derives from the basic human need to rationalize everything that they do. Thus, humans cannot really except the fact that everything has no true meaning, and that life is here simply by coinicidence." - But then, that's just an opinion.
  As for the offspring killing each other off... if you look at life as having a meaning, would you say their meaning was to die? Or if you define life as having one single meaning, like 'to love' would you say their meaning has been taken away from them, seeing as they died before they had a chance to love?

OneST8

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2006, 04:19:26 pm »
d20mushroom - 10/8/2006  11:15 AM

As for the offspring killing each other off... if you look at life as having a meaning, would you say their meaning was to die? Or if you define life as having one single meaning, like 'to love' would you say their meaning has been taken away from them, seeing as they died before they had a chance to love?

Life doesn't have one single solitary meaning for me, as I state above, life has infinite meaning. Or, more clearly, infinite layers of meaning. It all depends on your perspective on what actually means anything to you at any given time. So if anything you have, had, held or hold dear has meaning to you; then in my books, life has meaning.

Linele

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 02:27:11 pm »
    d20mushroom - 10/8/2006  6:23 AM
    Sure, it is meaningless. But that doesn't stop people from doing it. Of course, this is my opinion on things. Anyone who presents their opinion as a fact is a fool - in my opinion.

Wait wait, so you can have an opinion but you're not allowed to think your opinion is right? In that case wouldn't the entire concept of opinions be useless, as it wouldn't make any difference which one you picked?

If so, my answer to everything is "cheese".

Wraithdur

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2006, 12:31:32 pm »
    so..........wait...........opinion.............fact................antidisestablishmentarialism....................nevermind

Marswipp

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2006, 02:55:27 pm »
    Why must I be thinking of babbling now?!
    Being what is not the isn't cannot be called can not; so, when does the halting begin where the stopping stopped? -- Does this have anything to do with forgetting to remember to be remembering how to forget to ...

J-ser

• Followers of Shadon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 04:25:08 pm »
    *sighs* You are thinking too deeply. This is in the "just for fun" section. So I will say it agian. 42. simple.

Fatherchaos

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 04:28:07 pm »
    To really complicate things . . . 21x2 :)

Marswipp

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006, 05:24:58 pm »
    6*7 = 52(base 8)

Pseudonym

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2006, 10:47:14 pm »

This thread is one of the least benightedly unintelligent non-organic anti-usual attempts to seek the answer from the question for which it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid reading.

Wraithdur

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2006, 08:52:42 am »
    too much seriousness, i'm becoming a vegetable ....................................................... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J-ser

• Followers of Shadon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 01:38:21 pm »
    Much better. Carry on with the randomness.