The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: craftable rings for Nature spells  (Read 1442 times)

LynnJuniper

Re: craftable rings for Nature spells
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 02:22:03 pm »
Ring of Nature's Splendor offers bonus Druid slots...

Hellblazer

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 03:01:30 pm »
Quote from: Gulnyr
To add an opinion on the Ranger vs. Fighter comparison, I think trying to compare them solely based on mechanics is not entirely fair.  Besides all the other arguments that have been made in various posts and threads, there are valuable, built-in RP benefits to being a Ranger that Fighters totally lack.  The ties to nature and "tracker" stuff can really come in extra-handy on quests and shouldn't be overlooked when calculating the "power" of the class.

That I do agree totally with:)

aragwen

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 05:43:52 pm »
Just to bring this back on topic.

There are craftable rings for druids that gives them extra spell slots, similiar to the other rings.

In my opinion it makes sense for druids, cause they can be classified as a spell casting class. Does not make sense for rangers, who I do not classify as a spell casting class.

As for the strength of rangers, well that is debatable but each class has its benefits, strengths and weaknesses. So really one should not try compare classes on only one aspect.

As an example, a stealth build ranger could explore the whole of Belinara which a fighter could never do. But then again a fighter could probably face more fights than a ranger and survive.

Each class has it own strengths.

Drizzlin

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 06:29:11 pm »
Druids have rings.

If you made a paladin or ranger ring, they should not be higher than level 1 spell splot bonuses for them. This is due to Rangers and druids only haveing 4 levels of spells. Giving a Ranger or Paladin bonus 2nd and 3rd level spells, would be like giving a wizard bonus 6th and 8th level spells.

pejsaboy

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 07:33:28 pm »
    Since the discussion between each class having its own benefits and rangers not being spellcasters has been gone over [and I agree], I've got one opinion on the ring idea:

Since they are not spellcasters, I think a ring for rangers [or paladins] should be restricted to level one spells due to the aforementiond reasons. On top of that, I think it should only grant 1 or at most 2 extra spell slots, also for the reason that they are not primary spellcasters and should not get as many slots as a wizard/cleric/sorcerer

Lynn1020

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2007, 10:18:26 pm »
    Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman

I see too many people, these days, complaining about how weak the Ranger class is, when it seems (forgive me if this seems harsh) that they just don't know how to play one optimally. It takes a lot of experience with, and understanding of, the system to make an effective build with a Ranger... But even with a truly worthless build, staying alive just isn't that hard.

Take it from a melee Rogue.

Wow! This is the first time I have heard this. O.o

Falonthas

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 04:19:56 pm »
    me too druids have druid rings? hmm somebody better start sharin

Drizzlin

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 05:08:13 pm »
    Quote from: Falonthas
    me too druids have druid rings? hmm somebody better start sharin

They have been in the game for a very long time. I would say around 3 years at least. As far as sharing, only Druid jewel crafters can make them. Just like only Wizards can make Rings of Wizardy. Clerics are the only ones who can make their rings of Divine and lastly only Sorcerors can make their rings of Sorcery.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 05:11:29 pm »
    //However, you forget all those rings require the Base ingredient which ANY jeweler can make.  Bronze with Feldspar/Gold Rings with Garnets/Platinum with Alexandrites

Desicardo

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 06:38:50 pm »
    Ok, so Druids have rings.. how bout something for rangers.. nothing major, maybe 1 or at most 2 spell slots of first level and a greater ring for spells of second level??  

On the question of druid rings.. are they made of a metal?  Does the druid no metal code apply to jewelry as well?

Drizzlin

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 06:42:52 pm »
    Quote from: Desicardo
    Ok, so Druids have rings.. how bout something for rangers.. nothing major, maybe 1 or at most 2 spell slots of first level and a greater ring for spells of second level??  

On the question of druid rings.. are they made of a metal?  Does the druid no metal code apply to jewelry as well?

You need to read this post completely. Rangers/Paladins can have rings as soon as they receive the BAB of a druid/wizard/cleric and have their hit dice brought down to a d8 or d6. That should just about make it balanced enough to start focusing on making a Ranger a spell caster rather than the melee that they are now.

EDIT: I didn't mean to not sound civil. I guess after reading it again it might sound mean, but in truth I was being a tad sarcastic and trying to run out the door to take Bakee to her birthday dinner! Sorry.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 07:44:35 pm »
    Sure, everyone wants Rangers to have more spells, but you dont need more spells!  Yer a Melee Class!  Same with Paladins!  What the heck do you need spells for?  Thats why there are Classes called Druid and Cleric.  Team up with your respective Countpart and Kick some Butt!

twidget658

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 07:50:25 pm »
    Shiff...*sighs* nevermind.

Edit: All right, I have to say it...how many clerics are 'melee' or 'fighting' clerics?

Dorganath

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 08:00:55 pm »
    Guys, keep it civil please.

*goes through his box of thread locks*

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 08:13:59 pm »
    Quote from: twidget658

Edit: All right, I have to say it...how many clerics are 'melee' or 'fighting' clerics?

Lots, and the same is true for most Druids...  So...  Whats the problem ;)

Drizzlin

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 09:31:02 pm »
    Quote from: Dorganath
    Guys, keep it civil please.

*goes through his box of thread locks*

I didn't mean to not sound civil. I guess after reading it again it might sound mean, but in truth I was being a tad sarcastic and trying to run out the door to take Bakee to her birthday dinner! Sorry.

Drizzlin

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 09:33:46 pm »
    Quote from: twidget658

Clerics get to wear plate, carry a shield, and have buffs out the wazoo. They receive the best Fort and Will save bonuses possible, and they have d8 hps. Clerics are very viable melee/fighting classes. Now they fail to compare to a Ranger/Warrior without their spells, but with them they are a force to reckon with, especially if you are undead.

EDIT: one of the reasons you don't see more direct melee from clerics, is due to the overpowered summons of NWN. Most melee clerics use summons while they follow them around. Layo has done a great deal to tone down the power of summons by limiting the durations.

twidget658

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 09:51:07 pm »
    I was responding to Shiff's comment about rangers being a melee class and why they should not have rings. I brought up the cleric class because they are some of the strongest fighters. They can wear and use everything a fighter class can. Having less hps is nearly a mute point.

Quote from: Drizzlin
    Clerics get to wear plate, carry a shield, and have buffs out the wazoo. They receive the best Fort and Will save bonuses possible, and they have d8 hps. Clerics are very viable melee/fighting classes. Now they fail to compare to a Ranger/Warrior without their spells, but with them they are a force to reckon with, especially if you are undead.

You say they fail to compare to a Ranger/Warrior without their spells, I have to disagree. You just pointed out that they can do nearly everything a fighter can do...with the clerics having more benefits.

Hellblazer

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2008, 03:09:18 am »
    There is one difference that is major between the Ranger and the Cleric. The bab. Ranger is main which means at level 20 he gets 5 attacks, the cleric only 3

Desicardo

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2008, 10:03:58 am »
    If you look at the bab and hp only, I agree, rangers make a fantastic melee class especially when coupled with duel wield.  But lets look at the whole picture.  To use Dual wield, it is done at the expense of the shield.  Couple this with light to medium armor, and there is no way a ranger can stand beside a fighter in melee combat and have a chance of keeping up.  If a fighter disagrees, I would suggest putting on some padded or leather armor and going against even 2 giants on Dregar with his sword only and see how long he lasts.  My ranger at level 15 can't take 2 giants at a time and survive cause while he is doing great with the one he is hitting, the other giant is smashing him to a pulp because he doesn't have the ac of a fighter.  Ranger advantage comes with the range of his bow, but take a shot at a mage in a small group and the whole group targets you at once.. again.. likely leading to death.  You can't just look at stats alone and say that a ranger is everything a fighter is because in reality it simply doesn't work that way.  Now in all honesty, I haven't been to Dregar since the update to see how the new spells effect things but I strongly suspect it will be a strong benefit so it may even out.  The problem is, in order to use the new barkskin, with only 2 spell slots, I have to bump out elemental protection, or cats grace, so either I am going to get fireballed in the desert, or my ab with my bow will be lowered.  
    I have been in parties and seen wizards, sorcerers, and even clerics of the same level as I am walk into a whole crowd of giants and walk away with little damage which is something I can't even think of doing.  I really doubt that one extra spell slot is going to make a ranger an overwhelming powerhouse in combat especially since few of the spell options are offensive in nature.  All I am looking for is an even chance for surviving with some of the other classes.