The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Player Housing  (Read 1010 times)

darkstorme

Re: Player Housing
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 03:53:26 am »
The minimum time for player ownership expiry is ninety days.  Most of the time, the team will let it sit for six months, just in case.

Dorganath

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 12:18:16 pm »
Quote from: Acacea
One also must take into account that many houses are shared with others, and the primary 'owner' may no longer be the name on the door.

This is exactly why more houses haven't been returned to the marketplace.

Ravemore

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 12:43:23 pm »
Perhaps sharing should no longer be an acceptable reason to keep houses off the market? Could multiple players be put on a deed at purchase, and after all have not logged on for the set period, the house goes back on the market? This would of course eliminate all of the squatters, (errr I mean shared occupants) keeping houses occupied forever. It would also accomodate those people sharing in the purchase of property...

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 01:32:59 pm »
Well, you buy a house through a conversation with a vendor, just like you'd buy a Crafting Certificate. You get a key (mayhaps a deed as well - never bought a house, myself), and the door gets your name on it. And they get a bamzillion True.

Though this thread just reminded me a nifty way to earn True... :)

Hellblazer

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 02:11:52 pm »
you dont get a deed just a house key.

Witch Hunter

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 02:27:27 pm »
Quote from: Ravemore
Perhaps sharing should no longer be an acceptable reason to keep houses off the market? Could multiple players be put on a deed at purchase, and after all have not logged on for the set period, the house goes back on the market? This would of course eliminate all of the squatters, (errr I mean shared occupants) keeping houses occupied forever. It would also accomodate those people sharing in the purchase of property...

Oh yes oh yes please!

Dorganath

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 02:28:48 pm »
Houses only have one owner, in the database at least.  It's just not structured for multiple ownership.

Honestly, it would be best if more people shared a purchase. It's how my character got his house (shared purchase between four characters), and they all left the world (well, one was banned but same effect). So I think that sharing needs to remain a viable thing...and perhaps be encouraged.

That said, people do need to be responsible with this...when the same character owns multiple non-guild or special-use properties, that's really not being considerate to other players/characters.  I know the reasons why people do this, but to be perfectly honest, they're not a reasonable justification for doing so.

Ravemore

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 02:34:56 pm »
One housekey that cannot be reproduced? Perhaps the key is an item that cannot be given away? I am assuming that entry to houses is a transition that is logged, so no use of the transition in the timeframe, house goes back on the market? Would be a pain in the butt if you have people living with you because you would have to let them in whenever they needed something, but it would eliminate some of the housing issues. It would be as easy as looking at a log I would assume, but I'm not a programmer....

You get five people "paying rent" (or imaginary rent) to someone that has not been on-line in a year and you essentially get a house market where property is just being passed along, which inflates the demand, and reduces choices. Particularly when the most desirable locations are on the west server, higher level PC's are generally the only ones who can afford them, and lower to middle level PC's should not be going to east or central anyway, eliminating use of those markets by said lower to middle level PC's...

Just some thoughts being thrown around.. Not sure if this has all been talked about before. If so, the link to the thread would be cool. :-)

osxmallard

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 03:03:31 pm »
Quote from: Ravemore
Particularly when the most desirable locations are on the west server, higher level PC's are generally the only ones who can afford them...

Housing on West is suprisingly very cheap compared to central actually.

Gulnyr

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 03:20:46 pm »
It's a strange reversal of the laws of economics. *nods*

Tialle Dianesis

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 02:14:16 pm »
    Quote from: Nibor21
    I would however like to take this moment to remind those people who do own housing that a PC can only own one piece of housing (two if one of them is a functioning main guild office).

Why not alter the rule?

One house per player .

This way more players get the chance to own a house and a few homes are freed up from players who own multiple houses with different characters.

Or was this the true meaning of the rule, already?

Unless there's already a way to check for this maybe the Housing Forum idea should be considered. http://www.layonara.com/nwn-ideas-suggestions-requests/115512-suggestion-housing-forum.html#post475750

Laldiien

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007, 02:27:23 pm »
    Quote from: Tialle Dianesis
    Why not alter the rule?

One house per player .

This way more players get the chance to own a house and a few homes are freed up from players who own multiple houses with different characters.

Or was this the true meaning of the rule, already?

Unless there's already a way to check for this maybe the Housing Forum idea should be considered. http://www.layonara.com/nwn-ideas-suggestions-requests/115512-suggestion-housing-forum.html#post475750

There are many long-term players.  While I think having multiple structures for one PC is a bit out of whack, I would not begrudge "Bob" from playing 'Whiz McBang' and 'Thug McSmash' each to the point where they both can afford a house.

That's just me though.

merlin34baseball

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2007, 02:34:07 pm »
    Yep I agree with that, especially since no two characters of one player may have a key to the same house.  Once you bought a house for one character all the others you ever created would be inelligable to own a home.

Laldiien

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 03:04:37 pm »
    Quote from: merlin34baseball
    Yep I agree with that, especially since no two characters of one player may have a key to the same house.  Once you bought a house for one character all the others you ever created would be inelligable to own a home.

I understand what you are saying, but how are you prepared to enforce it?  Are you willing to refuse to do business with the PLAYER?  Are you willing to organize others to shun them?  Will you be the one to scour the houses across the servers and make these players publically known?  

We need to think a second. I like rules. I like structure. Rules and structure are very comforting to me as a person. But I am not comfortable making the GM's into the Goonsquad. They spend enoung time doing other stuff. I'd rather have them creating quests or making content.

Would I support an initiative that says "from this point, here are the rules" yes. Would I walk up to an active player (of two PC's) and say "pick the house you have to sell", no. Niether would anyone else.

merlin34baseball

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 04:15:59 pm »
    Hee! I was agreeing with you Laldiien, maybe I didn't make it clear.

I think that individual characters should be allowed to own one home each.  Not one home per player...

Hellblazer

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 04:58:33 pm »
    Quote from: Tygular
    I have kept an eye open for rooms for rent but haven't seen any available except for the one you mentioned but don't know where that is. Is there a certain place people post?

What about making it possible to rent like storage boxes in the craft houses where people can store the crafting tools they need, or store crafting resources.

Maybe someone can come up with a workable soluction to allow a way to store items just for crafting.

Contact Elohanna IG, she is Handleing the Angels room rental services. We may have a room left available to rent.

Laldiien

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2007, 06:20:37 pm »
    Quote from: merlin34baseball
    Hee! I was agreeing with you Laldiien, maybe I didn't make it clear.

I think that individual characters should be allowed to own one home each.  Not one home per player...

EEP!  Someone is agreeing with me?  
    *looks for the rain of toads*

Aye, I was talking with the Missus and we came to that conclusion, but I couldn't get my Blackberry to edit the post.

anything