The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Please No More Cut Scene  (Read 342 times)

Yllyrryon

Please No More Cut Scene
« on: April 02, 2007, 03:39:37 am »
[SIZE=13]This past evening, my character died solely on account of the soul mother cut scene that appeared when another character lost their tenth soul strand. With the exception of two breaks of a few weeks each, I have played in Layo since June of 2005. Only once have I seen the cut scene actually work, and even then everything froze and I had to re-log.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13]I have heard of many other instances in which this cut-scene freeze has cost other players their characters lives. Fortunately this evening, Krys didnt lose any soul strand. I hope none of the other players characters lost any strands. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13]I am making this post to implore the team to re-develop something that works and doesnt cause others to crash - usually during fights where crashing proves fatal.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13]Heres a suggestion.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13]Player A has a character, Z who has lost 9 soul strands. A group with whom Z is journeying finds itself in a tough fight in which Z dies and loses his last soul strand. No cut scene occurs and the difficult fight is allowed to continue unabated. Player A receives the regular death options menu - nothing different than before. If for whatever reason player A chooses to Wait for help, any cleric examining Zs corpse will get a message that Zs soul has departed forever to the Plane of the Lost, and perhaps beyond, into the arms of Zs god. Please indulge me for the sake of this example, as a much more prosaic version of this message can easily be developed. Any form of raise/resurrection is impossible.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13]Effectively, the respawn option is the only one available to player A at this juncture. The respawn takes character Z to the death void or some similar area where player A witnesses some Soul Mother Scene alone in a place where it wont disrupt any other players game play.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13]Once Z is respawned, a grave stone appears where the corpse was located. Again, an apt inscription could be developed later, but for the purpose of this example, let it say, Rest in Peace Z.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13]Thanks for considering this. The soul mother cut scene is highly flawed and has an established history of injuring players interests by causing the deaths of characters who would not otherwise have been affected by the death leading to the cut scene. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13]So if you are looking to improve Layo, getting rid of the cut scene and replacing it with something that works - not only makes sense, but is long over due.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13]Respectully,[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=13]Yllyrryon[/SIZE]

Weeblie

Re: Please No More Cut Scene
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 03:51:00 am »
A new cut scene is already "under construction" to replace the old one.

Just have a little bit more patience... :)

Yllyrryon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:52:19 am »
Glad to hear it.  :)

osxmallard

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 04:50:03 am »
I also died during the cut scene and I was nowhere near the creature that killed the person to cause the scene in the first place.  In fact I was the one closest to the exit away from the creature, yet when the 'scene' was over, which I still have yet to actually see btw, 2 hits and I was dead (And the creature was still not in sight or at my location at the time of my death).

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 08:51:35 am »
*points to what Weeblie said*

The current cut scene seems to have most of its problems either during periods of huge lag or when one or more player drops/crashes due to the cut scene itself.  Several problems have been identified with the cut scene and a new one has been created for inclusion in the next update (I believe)....one that should be less susceptible to problems such as these.

Nibor21

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:13:52 am »
Actually the new cutscene isn't a cutscene. Cutscenes have a nasty habit of making people crash, so we have actually done away with it and replaced it with more a sort of bit of live action!

In addition we have also fixed the issue where people who had 10+ DTs and also had Soul Mothers Defense could fire the perm custscene even if they hadn't reached their 15 DT limit

Hellblazer

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 09:55:11 am »
that is good news, thanks to the dev team.

Laldiien

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 11:42:46 am »
Sounds great!  I'd love to see the new work.  Now...to find someone with 9 DT's and get them to group with me.....

*walks off to find a party*

anything