The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ropes/Grappling Hooks for Climbing  (Read 332 times)

Polak76

Ropes/Grappling Hooks for Climbing
« on: April 11, 2007, 08:44:05 pm »
I was wondering if it could be possible to have ropes offer a bonus to climbing checks if used or equiped.  Nothing is more frustrating when a member of the party has too little strength or Dex to scale certain areas.

I know on other worlds I've played there is a Rope and Grappling hook able to be purchased from vendors.  If these could add +3 or +5 to a climb check, it would make it more sensible to carry one around when adventuring.

After all I doubt many people would be crazy enough to free-climb rock cliffs in RL.

Cheers,
Polak76

MJZ

Re: Ropes/Grappling Hooks for Climbing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:13:25 pm »
*pokes her 9 and 12 str characters respectively*

I second this motion!

I wonder if it would be more time consuming than we might think to script? Maybe every climb would have to be modified?

Crunch

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:15:43 pm »
I like this idea.  Perhaps making them craftable would make a good use for some of those lower level hides.  It would also allow for varying levels of help based on level of resources used.  Kinda like the bandages.  You could make it exciting and give it a failure chance on use like picks and axes.

Polak76

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 09:19:28 pm »
I've been chatting among a few others and funnily enough we had the dreaded climbing issue last night where most people needed a 19-20 to climb.  They evetually made it after a dozen heal potions and 15min of RL time.

Anyway I like the idea of making them craftable as well.  How about somthing like this.

Rope1 - 1 use and grants +5 to climb check (not very good so you'll need to carry a few to make sure you get up that slope)
Rope 2 - 1 use and grants +10
Rope 3 - 1 use and grants +20.

I've been toying with the idea whether it should be use/day, 1 use and it disappears or if it simply needs to be equiped.  I think I like the idea of it being used up giving you one shot at it.  After all, how can you untie something when you're all the way down the hill, or perhaps the when you fail the rope frays on some sharp rocks and snaps.

Lastly having consumable means it can be a useful craftable item.  The GM's can then make some rock cliffs more difficult, whether it is due to height, snow, rock texture etc.

I think this idea has merit.  I know that if it's implimented my character will start carrying ropes when he goes adventuring.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 10:13:25 pm »
Agreed with more than the thanks button for emphasis.

I'm just so tired of waiting on the mages to not die horrible deaths, shattered on the rocks below. And those fighters who aren't smart enough to remove the armor. ;)

Ravemore

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 01:13:15 am »
I second this also... (or third, fourth, etc. Wherever we are at.) My mage cannot climb a mole hill without taking damage. I would definitely carry a rope for this reason when heading into the hills...

Witch Hunter

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 01:27:51 am »
I second this too and say make it 1 use/day.
 I carry a rope regardless because well, sometimes its nice on quests - but having an actual use for it would be wicked.

Weeblie

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 05:40:46 am »
Oh, dear... Not X use/day items...

The only result is that people are hording them like crazy. Just look at the Athus' Gloves and the Healer's Hugs.

If implemented, make it like the lockpicks: 1 use only

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 09:30:10 am »
One use only sounds great.

Masterjack

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 09:58:47 am »
I like the idea. Why not for realism give it charges like a wand? So say 5 uses and it is too worn to safely use again.

OldBear

• The Angels Guild
    • Followers of Aeridin
    • Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 10:28:04 am »
I don't climb, but I have friends that do a lot of rock climbing.  They have to change out their ropes after so many uses.  Not that they are necessarily frayed yet, but that for safety reasons, I believe the rope is rated for only so many climbs.  At least that is my understanding of what they have told me.

Acacea

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 09:11:09 pm »
Charges or one-use only seems a better option than the per day ones.

Polak76

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 01:16:42 am »
Very well, I'd say charges or one-use would be readily accepted by the community.  I think they should be craftable and perhaps as i mentioned before, different styles of ropes can offer more charges and better bonuses to rolls.

I like the idea of haveing more consumable items comming from the tailoring craft, even though i don't tailor at all.

Polak