The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Learning Elven...RP excuses vs. RP reasons – Food for thought  (Read 1499 times)

DMOE

Re: Learning Elven...RP excuses vs. RP reasons – Food for though
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2008, 01:35:18 pm »
Well they learn common simply because common is the 'trade language' and as such it allows them to communicate with pretty much all other races...

It's not that common is the language of humans as such....It is simply the most commonly used language

http://forums.layonara.com/histories-content/141302-common-language.html

I'd like to draw people's attention to the last paragraph...

"The old languages still were spoken at home and in their natural lands, being treasured by their peoples, but when venturing forth, most learned the Common tongue before setting out. Some of the less linguistically skilled mastered only a few words, but they were the words they needed to survive."

Treasured by their peoples....

Treasured does not generally mean.....Taught to every Tom, Harry and their dog...

darkstorme

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2008, 02:24:41 pm »
In addition, it's even easier to understand why a snobbish, self-centred elf would learn Common.

"Do you see, human?  I have a greater mastery of your own language than you do - in addition to my fluency in my native tongue.  I shudder to think what your barbarian lips would do with the delicate subtlety of elven - a language ancient when your ancestors were living in caves.  Now, be off with you!"

(Insults are far less cutting if you can't make your opponent understand you.)

LightlyFrosted

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2008, 04:19:31 pm »
There is, due to a lack of translation, an inclination to think of Common as English - and given that it is a 'common' language, chances are it's as much of a mutt as English is.  Assuming it wasn't simply created by humans - making it actually 'Human' by the language-naming-traditions we seem to follow - it's an amalgamation of the other commonly spoken tongues.  Or, at least, that would make some sense.

On the other hand, there's no linguistic spillover.  There aren't elven phrases which sound a lot like their Common equivalents.  Generally speaking, 'ale' in dwarven sounds much different from 'ale' in common.  Pretty much the only word that's the same in all languages is 'Al'noth' - and given that it's an elven word, one wonders why that has perpetuated so long.  Not everyone who uses magic likes elves after all.

This could well be a reason that many people are trying to learn Elven though.  If elves have so great an understanding of magic that their word has become the iconic one for 'the magical energy field around Layonara', chances are that many arcanists would learn Elven just to understand the reference manuals in the Great Library, or wherever.

lonnarin

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2008, 06:21:31 pm »
Bjornigar always jokes that dwarves taught humans the word "mine" the day the first group of human and dwarven adventurers went into a cave together.  The dwarf looked around at all the ore in the walls, grabbed his pickaxe and yelled at the humans... "It's MINE!  It's MINE!"

And then the word stuck for any cave with lots of ore. ;)

miasma_hemlock

• Druids
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2008, 12:01:43 am »
This seems really simple to me if you think about it.  You're talking about player character adventurers, who are a tiny, tiny fraction of the population of Layonara and who are usually much more worldly.  This is most often something that happens between friends, so the teacher isn't some random elf plucked out of Voltrex, but is someone who knows and cares about the student (and, who presumably lives in a human/mixed society).

If you were talking about thousands of elven Berlitz schools across Layonara that would be one thing, but isn't this all about interactions between a few PC adventurers?  I'd agree it's wrong if it happens overnight and between two characters who don't really know each other, but that's rarely the case, right?

anything