The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: An uncertain welcome  (Read 303 times)

cbnicholson

An uncertain welcome
« on: April 13, 2011, 03:03:07 pm »
Daniel led the small girl with brown hair and a somewhat vacant expression through the front door of the Silver Buckle.  His expression was worried due to the child's increasingly withdrawn state as they had made landfall in port.  His blue eyes scanned the bar for a familiar face.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

The following users thanked this post: Anamnesis, Alatriel, RollinsCat

Alatriel

Re: An uncertain welcome
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 03:13:57 pm »
Bella looks at him across the room with a look of murder in her eyes.  She crosses the room and very quietly and with a certainty and intensity in her voice speaks.

"If you love your daughter, take her back there.  Now."

cbnicholson

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »
Daniel meets her gaze, his own face hardening with resolve, " I will not, Bella.  Far too long has she been allowed to wander in her mind alone.  This changes today." He keeps his tone carefully nuetral as he continues. "At least let us see how she reacts to yourself, her brother, Katelyn, and the others here.  This is a place of business true, but also a place of healing.  It is my hope that Lady Elohanna or others may be able to help her more than sitting in a stone room." Daniel turns his attention to Rebecca, gauging her reaction to seeing her mother again. "At least give your daughter some affection, if not myself, Beloved." He says a touch colder than he means to.

Oscar Wilde

Alatriel

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 03:20:52 pm »
Bella glares at Daniel.  "You're an idiot."

She then carefully takes her 8 yr old daughter by the hand and leads her upstairs.  If Daniel moves to restrain her she shoots him another glare and reaches for her blade at her hip.

cbnicholson

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 03:24:27 pm »
Daniel looks stunned at her words then he sighs relinquishing control, "Go with your mother, dear one, it is okay."  Daniel moves to the bar looking flushed. "A glass of juice, please?"

Oscar Wilde

RollinsCat

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:14:06 pm »
Michael nods, having seen, saying nothing at first.  He starts to reach for grape juice, then puts it back and pours pear juice instead.  As Bella leads the child upstairs, he pushes the glass to Daniel.

"I'll let Mister Reid know you're here - he's on a buying trip in the city but I can get word to him quickly.  I'm sure Miss Elly will come as well."

Alatriel

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:36:50 pm »
Bella returns a while later, ignoring Daniel, and looks at Michael.  Her expression is composed and cool.  

"Michael, do we got what it takes to make some oatmeal with a lil honey in it?  I'm gonna need a few things fer my room upstairs too.  And no, the Rofie ain't stayin with me."

RollinsCat

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 04:53:00 pm »
With one glance between Bella and Daniel, he nods.  "Miss Elly has jars of oats and we have plenty of honey.  HELLY?"  He raises his voice to carry across the tavern; they've all, the four of them, gotten good at that.  A few seconds later the pretty girl with the brown curls pokes her head out.

"YES MICHAEL?"

Rather than keep yelling, he waves her over.  "Can you get Miss Bella a bowl of oatmeal with honey?  And, um, some milk?"  The last question is directed at Bella with upticked eyebrows.

cbnicholson

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »
Daniel sips his juice, slumping into his stool slightly as if some of the air has been let out of him. "Nay, no need for that just yet, Micheal.  Please do see to what Bella has requested.  I have no plans to stay either." He adds in a slightly louder tone. " I will cover any charges, however."

Oscar Wilde

RollinsCat

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:55:41 pm »
To Daniel he only holds out a "just one moment" finger, with a glance that indicates he wants to say more.

Alatriel

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 05:00:24 pm »
Bella continues to address Michael.  "Milk's fine, an' put it on my tab.  I'll collect whatever I use an' replace it.  Ain' like I don' work here.  Jest put it outside my door an' knock once- lightly, but don' enter."

She turns and heads back upstairs, pausing once.  "Thanks Michael."

RollinsCat

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »
"Food's free to tenants, Miss Bella.  You're welcome."  Michael nods to Heloise; she nods to Bella, then Michael and on afterthought Daniel before retreating to the kitchen, quiet from the charged air around the bar.

When Bella has gone Michael turns and rests his elbows on the bar, speaking in low tones.

"Let me send for Mister Reid, sir.  You know how he is about kids, and he's a father too.  He'll want to hear about it from both sides, yours and hers.  You know he'll welcome the girl and he'd tell me to stall you if he knew you were here, so..."

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:25:19 pm »
Tyra comes in to the Buckle, curious about the commotion.  Dressed in a plain kimono, she comes upon the scene looking annoyed.  Before she says anything however, she notices Bella's and Daniel's confrontation and decides it would be best to be elsewhere, backing out of the Buckle without a sound.

cbnicholson

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 06:06:28 pm »
Daniel gives Micheal a penetrating look, then goes back to his juice speaking quiet tones, "Bella is remarkably disciplined and stubborn, Micheal.  Even Andrew's powers of persuasion will be put to the test on this one, I wager."

Oscar Wilde

RollinsCat

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 06:48:38 pm »
"I'm getting that about her, Mister Poetr.  I've been getting that since she moved in.  I wasn't thinking so much for her...  I'm a bartender, sir, and I know you two are friends, and well...you look like you could use a friend about now."  He tops off Daniel's juice and puts the bottle back.

cbnicholson

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 07:39:35 pm »
Daniel gives Micheal a wry look hoisting his now full juice glass, " I am not much of a drinker, so you will forgive me for not opening up to a bartender, easily, Micheal." Truth be told, she may be right. I should return our daughter to the Aerindinites perhaps." He sighs.

Oscar Wilde

RollinsCat

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:26:53 pm »
"I didn't take you for a tippler, sir."  Michael smiles.  "It's hard to know what's right and wrong.  Mister Reid always says you do what your heart says to do and trust that it's right, but..."He lowers his voice.  "...that seems to get him a lot of situations.  I'm less of a from-the-gut guy, myself."  He rubs at a scratch in the bar top, glancing toward the door.  "She'll be safe here, Mister Reid will take care of that."

RollinsCat

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 12:31:58 am »
Elly was in bed, Daniel gone, Tyra gone, Bella and Rebecca locked in their room and not likely to answer the door again.  He'd been through the place three times, making sure no one was lingering.  He had extra helpings of paranoid tonight.

The Buckle felt wrong.  There was a little pocket of joy by the downstairs fire; Ty's note was secure in his pocket.  But the upstairs still echoed dimly of love's sundering.  He didn't want to go upstairs.  Not yet.  He meant to go re-arrange chests downstairs and ended up sitting in the middle of the basement floor, necklace in hand, humming.  He didn't hear Paddy until the young man was beside him.

"Boss...?"  Paddy knelt, looking at him with a critical eye - judging.

"Yes?"

"You're not drunk, are you?"

"No, I'm not drunk."  A breath; Paddy didn't move.  "Bella is moving out.  She said she'd teach you a little more before she went."

Paddy rocked back on his heels.  "Why's she leaving?"

"We had some mis..."  For once, he didn't feel like being disingenuous.  "I was an idiot, and thought I could do something I could not.  I couldn't turn down a friend.  I should have, but I couldn't, and I screwed things up for both of them."

"All your fault then?"

He bristled.  "No, I was asked to help, and they'd been having trouble for some time, an....d...."  With a glance, he tapped his heart.  "Touche.  But still.  I should have said no."

"Hard to turn down a friend, Mister Reid.  Got you right upset though, sure you're not going to have a go at the bottle again?"

"I wouldn't put you through that twice, Paddy.  I am grateful for your help last time."

"Weren't any trouble, really...nah, I'm lying.  Brought back a bunch of memories I could do without."

He nodded.  "I'm sorry about Bella.  Did you two get along?"

"Well enough, I reckon.  She wasn't for chat, just 'do this' and 'move like that'.  I didn't take it personal."

"I think I did.  Our discussion, I mean.  It hit a few soft spots for me."  He stood and rolled his shoulders.  "That is the first and last time I act as council to anyone in matters of love."

"Fine sentiment.  My gram was always saying, don't get between a rooster and a hen, not never."

"I'll be living that.  What's funny to me, what I can't figure out, is how I could make such a hash of things and then Elly shows up shortly after."  He touched his necklace again.  "Maybe a reminder?"  A shrug.  "I'll see you in the morning, Paddy.  Sleep well."

"You too, boss."