The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Scribing weapon names  (Read 660 times)

pejsaboy

• View Profile
    Scribing weapon names
    « on: June 24, 2009, 12:05:01 am »
    I've noticed every so often that when somebody kills a monster, it will say the name of their weapon finished the job, or something similar. Can someone point me to instructions and the proper items for doing weapon names? I bought the normal scribing quill and some ink from the general store vendor, but the quill tells me I can't use it on my weapon.

Script Wrecked

Re: Scribing weapon names
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:46:19 am »
    You need to be a fighter (or similar). Someone can do this for you, though.

Lily

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 02:43:59 am »
    As Script Wrecked already said, one needs to be fighter to name a weapon. The naming itself is pretty easy.

1. Use your quill on your ink of choice. Phyress picked red for her blades. I've seen other colors on blades already, like blue, green and yellow. Your choice.

2. Use the quill on your blade.

3. Type ~~titleWeaponname or ~~title Weaponname

There you go :)

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:39:53 am »
    Actually... Fighter / paladin / weapon master or duelist if i remember rigth.

Lily

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 04:57:04 am »
    Taken from the 3.2 release notes:

Titling Your Weapon ¶

* Paladins/Weapon Masters/Duelists/Fighters can name their blades with the quill and the ~~title command
        * If a weapon is titled there's a small chance that you will get a special kill message and bonus XP
        * You can name weapons for others, but they will only get an XP bonus if they are one of the classes listed above.
    So yeah ;)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:50:41 am »
    You could however ask you friendly neighborhood Weapon Master (or your angry neighborhood Weapon Master if you run into Tyra) to scribe a name on for you, and perhaps a nice fitting description.  ;)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 10:32:09 am »
    See [LORE]Weapon Titling[/LORE].

Nehetsrev

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 02:11:06 pm »
    The LORE reference posted should probably also mention that oxing a named weapon will also remove any weapon enchantments or enhancements on the weapon too.  ;)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 02:28:50 pm »
    That's what the link to [LORE]Oxen[/LORE] is for, I'm thinking... but it wouldn't hurt to provide extra warnings.

[LORE]Weapon Titling[/LORE]

pejsaboy

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:17:12 pm »
      Man, no love for the frontline hardened rogues of the land, eh? :D

Thanks for the answers!

lonnarin

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 08:22:19 pm »
      They can still title your weapons, it just doesn't pop up the message when you kill somebody with them.  Farros' axe is named "Skaldskaparmal".  Free pie to the first who figures out where that is from! (of course the prize may be a bit moot as I consistently hand out free pie slices to everyone I meet, lol!)

mixafix

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 03:30:46 am »
      It means thelanguage of poetry - and is about a dialogue between the Norse god of the sea, Aegir and bragi, the god of poetry or thereby..ish

pejsaboy

• View Profile
        « Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 10:17:32 am »
        I know they can still be titled, but the xp bonus would be nice to have as a rogue too. It's a little harder to come by combat xp as a rogue than the other 4 classes ;)

Alatriel

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 10:37:02 am »
        Rogues have other benefits though (I also play a rogue) and I think it was more of a way to give a cookie to the fighters for once.  There is always someone that's going to say "man... I want that too".  So, I don't think it's so much as no love for rogues as it is for giving an added incentive to play a non magic fighter or a faith based fighter that comes along with it's own challenges.

Zoogmunch

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 01:50:35 pm »
        Rockhead Howling wolf scrathes his balding head * rolls d20 for lore check and gets 55* Skaldywhatsit is it!

a dialogue between the Norse god of the sea, Ægir and Bragi, the god of poetry, in which both Norse mythology and discourse on the nature of poetry are intertwined perhaps as a rough guess.

two pecan pies if yer have please

pejsaboy

• View Profile
          « Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 03:39:58 pm »
          Quote from: Alatriel
          Rogues have other benefits though (I also play a rogue) and I think it was more of a way to give a cookie to the fighters for once.  There is always someone that's going to say "man... I want that too".  So, I don't think it's so much as no love for rogues as it is for giving an added incentive to play a non magic fighter or a faith based fighter that comes along with it's own challenges.

Good point.

lonnarin

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 04:31:18 pm »
          Quote from: Zoogmunch
          Rockhead Howling wolf scrathes his balding head * rolls d20 for lore check and gets 55* Skaldywhatsit is it!

a dialogue between the Norse god of the sea, Ægir and Bragi, the god of poetry, in which both Norse mythology and discourse on the nature of poetry are intertwined perhaps as a rough guess.

two pecan pies if yer have please

Mixafix beat ye to it.  And TWO FULL pies?  Of Pecan quality?  bah!  I was talking a slice of rhubarb. :P

And now reviewing both answers, I see that they are BOTH almost verbatim to the wikipedia entry.  Plagiarism!  No pie for anybody! *sticks his tongue out*

anything