The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Spells?  (Read 318 times)

Lydyn

Spells?
« on: October 07, 2007, 01:40:03 pm »
This is more out of curiosity than anything at the moment (though it's a small concern on my part). I was looking through the spells for wizards and sorcerers, just to check what need spell components and so on, and noticed that most (if not all) of the spells are at turn/level, even when D&D has them at 1 hour/level (Greater Magic Weapon for example).

I'm sure there is a reason for this, mind sharing? :)

-Lydyn

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: Spells?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 01:47:47 pm »
Because its not straight PnP DND.  NWN couldnt let you run around with all those spells on for an hour per level, aat level 18 you could rub around with Stone skin or GMW on longer then you'd even want to play the game...

PS - In Game Hours are like Turns.  (Ever notice the compass in game keeps track of time In World?)  Another reason

LynnJuniper

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:48:07 pm »
Balancing issues. Most spells on Layonara have been altered in one form or another to put them into accordance with the rest of the world. You'll find most spells cap around 21, with few exceptions.

Drizzlin

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 01:50:16 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
Because its not straight PnP DND.  NWN couldnt let you run around with all those spells on for an hour per level, aat level 18 you could rub around with Stone skin or GMW on longer then you'd even want to play the game...

PS - In Game Hours are like Turns.  (Ever notice the compass in game keeps track of time In World?)  Another reason

While you are right, Stone skin is 1 hour/level hehe.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 01:52:23 pm »
Quote from: Drizzlin
While you are right, Stone skin is 1 hour/level hehe.

Stupid NWN...  *slaps his computer*

Pibemanden

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 01:53:10 pm »
Turn/level = minute/level in RL terms while hour/level = 4 minutes/level in RL terms. This means that the duration is a lot lower but still reasonable compared to the rest timer that also scales with level although not excatly as 1min/level but in a bit more advanced way but this makes it so that you actually gain something as you level up in wizard duration wise since you with the hour/level would have a quite decent duration already at level 4-5 while you now gain something as you go up since you normally rest around every 10-20 minutes when you are out adventuring ((Not including RP time and extremly long rest timers here)) depending on level and how much you are dependant on mage levels. So having the system this way makes the progression more attractive as in duration increase compared to D&D, plus I guess the biggest reason is that it is nwn stardart anyway so it simply carries over from there... But at least that are the two reasons I think there are for it, some might know more...

Filatus

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 01:55:42 pm »
I thought an ingame hour was two turns, a turn one minutes, so an hour is two minutes.

Which makes an ingame day a total of 48 RL minutes.

Drizzlin

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 02:00:53 pm »
Quote from: Pibemanden
Turn/level = minute/level in RL terms while hour/level = 4 minutes/level in RL terms. This means that the duration is a lot lower but still reasonable compared to the rest timer that also scales with level although not excatly as 1min/level but in a bit more advanced way but this makes it so that you actually gain something as you level up in wizard duration wise since you with the hour/level would have a quite decent duration already at level 4-5 while you now gain something as you go up since you normally rest around every 10-20 minutes when you are out adventuring ((Not including RP time and extremly long rest timers here)) depending on level and how much you are dependant on mage levels. So having the system this way makes the progression more attractive as in duration increase compared to D&D, plus I guess the biggest reason is that it is nwn stardart anyway so it simply carries over from there... But at least that are the two reasons I think there are for it, some might know more...

May have to get a correction on this, but the 1/hour per level = 10 RealLife/level.

Xirion

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 02:03:41 pm »
Quote from: Filatus
I thought an ingame hour was two turns, a turn one minutes, so an hour is two minutes.

Which makes an ingame day a total of 48 RL minutes.

LORE: Round

A IG day is 96min. 1hour IG = 4min RL/4turns

>Xirion>

Pibemanden

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 02:03:43 pm »
Quote from: Drizzlin
May have to get a correction on this, but the 1/hour per level = 10 RealLife/level.

According to lore hour = 4 turns

[lore]Round[/lore]

Lydyn

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 02:07:02 pm »
... heh, alright. So the reason for this was...? Balancing issues? 4 turns is rather short to start with, imo as it is. I dunno about you, but ... *Shrug* I suppose it'd make more sense if you can rest in dungeons ... can you?

-Lydyn

Filatus

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 02:13:30 pm »
Quote from: Xirion
LORE: Round

A IG day is 96min. 1hour IG = 4min RL/4turns

>Xirion>

I had no idea it was doubled, heh

Xirion

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 02:23:56 pm »
Quote from: Lydyn
I suppose it'd make more sense if you can rest in dungeons ... can you?

-Lydyn

You can. Rest is only limited by the time see==>LORE: Resting

and ofcourse if enemies are nearby it is forbidden

>Xirion>

osxmallard

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 02:27:43 pm »
.. and some dungeons have large no rest areas (sometimes the entire dungeon is no rest)...

Lydyn

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 02:32:14 pm »
I suppose that makes more sense ...

Level 6 mage's spells last 6 minutes ... at which the end of it, he can rest. Of course this makes any sort of multiclass mage start at a disadvantage. Makes sense, even if it makes me cringe. :p

Now I only wonder why IG time moves so darn fast ... *Shrug*

-Lydyn

P.S. - 'Course, mages are always at a disadvantage in no rest areas, especially with a system like this because unless they're pure, their spells run out so fast ... or even depending on the dungeon, unless the mage is epic, their spells will poof before they can transverse the entire dungeon.

Pibemanden

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 03:12:05 pm »
P.S. - 'Course, mages are always at a disadvantage in no rest areas, especially with a system like this because unless they're pure, their spells run out so fast ... or even depending on the dungeon, unless the mage is epic, their spells will poof before they can transverse the entire dungeon.

Yes that is true, but however mages pretty much rules everywhere around 17-23 because there are so few no rest areas. And well no one says that you have to buff max up to walk around in a dungeon, and maybe it would be wiser to use damage spells over buffs in such situations, all in all I would say, yes multiclass mages has a disadvantage and mages has a disadvantage some places but really compared to many other things they are pretty decent if you just play them long enough, because as any multiclass they only really shine when you get really high level in one of the classes which might take at least 20 levels which again might be a very long time.
But one always have to remember that in RP it doesn't matter all that much if you have a super good combat build if you can't apply its skills to something usefull on a GM quest which can be seen as our equvalent to a table top game, yes the server is RP consistantly but the combat builds win the day to day fighting while the RP builds will win the day on a GM quest, this applies mostly and isn't really a hard rule but you can take it as a guideline.

This can be a usefull set of graphs to illustrate this, thank you Shadowblade225

Skywatcher

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 06:16:44 pm »

Now I only wonder why IG time moves so darn fast ... *Shrug*

-Lydyn

It's just a frequency difference.  :)  See, our mortal coil is at a different base frequency than the world of Layonara so time moves differently there.

This link explains it all:

http://forums.layonara.com/layonara-server/126742-cosmology-faq.html

This means that Layo is more positive energy than RL which makes lots of sense.  I feel much more positive when I play Layo than when I play RL.  Hope that helps.

Lydyn

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 08:59:26 pm »
Ha-ha, very funny. xD

-Lydyn

anything