The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Summon Issues:  (Read 960 times)

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
Summon Issues:
« on: June 24, 2004, 08:06:00 am »
This thread is for people to post about Summons.
   Please include in your report...
  Spell Level.
  Diety or Alignment if a mage/other caster.
  Summon name.
  Specific issue, bug, problem, request, complaint or whatever.
    Example:
  Summon 9
  Vorax
  Summoned Legendary Dwarvish Hero
  Man, this summon blows.  Its beard should be BLACK, not RED! Are you stupid?
    You get the point.

Nyralotep

RE: Summon Issues:
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:04:00 pm »
Two things:  For the summons for Sulterio:  For MS 3  I am getting a dire wolf.  Is this the one I should be getting?  I would think this is more of an animal but I am not sure what summons Sulterio would get. 
  Also for the death domain it says that you get a shadow that scales with your level but after 5 levels it has yet to scale.  Is this a bio bug?  Thanks!

Nyralotep

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 06:59:00 pm »
And those are supposed to be all the summons from 1st to 9th right?  I ask because right now I'm getting a dire wolf for the MS3. 

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 07:02:00 pm »
Should all be elementals, yeah.  Are 1 and 2 elementals?

Nyralotep

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 07:15:00 pm »
No, no idea what one is but 2 was a celestial badger.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 07:21:00 pm »
Do you have the animal domain?

Nyralotep

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 07:28:00 pm »
Earth and Death domains.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 07:29:00 pm »
Alrighty, thanks, I'll track it.

Tolinar

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 05:50:00 pm »
    This is an actual bug:

Than summons a Greater Water Mephit when he casts his Summon Creature XI spell. He has the Animal domain so he should summon a huge water elemental since he is a cleric of Shindaleria. He was in Dregar at the time. Not sure if this bug exists in Mistone. Verified all my other summons upto that level are ok.

Regards,

Toli

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 11:53:00 pm »
    Which level spell? You said summon XI, which is summon 11... 

Tolinar

• View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 11:46:00 am »
      Tolinar - 11/6/2004  4:22 PM

Thangah is casting as a level 11 Cleric of Shindaleria with Animal and Magic Domains. He summons a level one/two creature for his level 6/7 creature.

Umm, he is casting Summon Creature 6. A Greater Water Mephit shows up. Not what he was expecting. He gets a Greater Water Mephit with a Summon Creature 1 casting.

Sorry for the confusion.

Toli

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
        • View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »
      Alright, VI then, I'll look to see what the problem is soon. Thanks.

Fenris

• View Profile
        « Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 08:15:00 pm »
        Cleric of Beryl, level 12.
        Summon Creature VI versus Astral Summon (same level summon spell comparison).

My Large Emerald Elemental seems to do three things upon summoning:

- Enter Power attack mode, after which he misses everything except skeletons and goblins.  When he does hit, the maximum damage I have seen from him is 17
        - Die very very fast if anything above a kobold is attacking him (I verified this in the Kobold encampment East and South of Hlint.  He killed three kobolds out of the 12 of so that spawn when I enter their area and I had to help him with the rest because he was down to 1/2 of his health.  Unbuffed, with an AC of 25 and slash resist 5/- and by myself I can walk in and take my time meleeing the 12 or so kobolds separately while they fire at me)
        - If unslain by ferocious anklebiters, he will last for approximately 2 minutes in duration.

His Plus side:  He has a natural immunity to poison and negative energy drain which I can use to buy myself about 20-30 seconds of time against spectres or spiders if I am frequenting the forest on West.  He also seems to fare a bit better when fighting giants in the Anarauch Desert on Central or any large or above type creatures, though, and seems to hit a bit more often against them. (this makes sense under 3.5 rules as the bigger you are, the harder they are to hit... I just wish in his case it wasn't so hard)

My Astral Summons:

- Will spend two rounds buffing himself with Stoneskin and Ghostly Visage
        - Will proceed to cast three hammer of the god spells on my enemies whether or not I am engaged ("Dewn Froak, Dewn!)
        - Will then divert and do one of three things:
          - Use negative energy to strength debuff and damage both the enemy and the front line of tanks (thankfully negative energy buff on the tanks will prevent this)
          - Use Flame arrow on selected frontal enemies (usually the one closest to me)
          - Cast fireball (thankfully I am able to buff the tanks and myself against spell damage)

If all spells are used, or if I am engaged, my Slaad will move forward and melee, and do more damage more frequently than my summon of Beryl (his max melee is 21 damage against an Oasis giant), and can hold back enemies for a good 30-45 seconds.  I have yet to test him against kobolds but have a feeling they will die very fast (I'd be more than willing to check that out tonight and edit the post accordingly).

If I recall correctly from my chats with Eight Bit (before he left), my Beryl summons should each have an increasing amount of Damage Resistance over the previous summon to offset their abyssal 18 AC, and should be capable of dishing out increasing amounts of good ol' fashioned melee damage as the type improves.  This seems to be lacking at present.  I believe the spell duration has improved by about 30 seconds from the lesser summon to the large summon.

His duration is a little shorter than that of the Voraxian Dwarven Defender series.  If it would help, I can precisely time it the next time I am in game.

I keep waiting every spell level for my Emerald Elemental to get tougher, last longer, and do some damage, but I have this sinking feeling that I will be using my Astral Summon long after I hit 17th.  Ah well.  Froak is a good pet, so I really shouldn't complain :)

The above post is in no way meant as a rant.  I enjoy playing here too much for that.  I am hoping it will be seen as constructive and hopefully a bit informative to Ghost as he balances out what needs balancing.

Sincerely,

Fenris

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
          • View Profile
        « Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 12:18:00 am »
        One spell uses a component and is shorter duration, one is longer and has no component and stages as it gets better.
          The Beryl summons are copies of the Earth elementals, and I have never had any problems with those, I use them myself. They are tanks. That's it. They enter attack mode and bash at things. They are more buffable since the duration is also longer.
            Its basically as designed.

Fenris

• View Profile
          « Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 01:49:00 am »
          Sorry to post again so soon Ghost, but I think you understood me backward.  My Elemental Beryl summons lasts for approximately 2 minutes. My astral summon (no longer requires a component gem to focus the spell with Eschew II) lasts for nearly 12 minutes.  On a side note, the focus gem was never consumed, even when I was level 11 casting the spell.

Beryl's Large Emerald Elemental (Summon Creature VI) just doesn't seem to have any damage resistance and dies very very fast.  He does not last long enough to justify buffing him in either case with a duration of just over 2 minutes.  His damage caps out at 17 - UPDATE!  He critical hit a wolf yesterday for 33!.  The same level Voraxian summon (Summon Creature VI) I have seen do 97 damage in one shot (unbuffed).  (Nice crit for a summoned unbuffed dwarf *grins*).[/i]

I tried the astral summon on kobolds to follow up on my earlier comparison.  Absolutely no contest. 3 rounds after combat commenced, the stoneskinned slaad was standing next to me.  one fireball = 10 roasted kobolds.  He got a little hung up with the two remaining ones who sniped him from out of his aggro range, but they really weren't doing any damage to him.

My apologies in advance for the color collage.  I just wanted to be sure you saw the points I was trying to illustrate.  Thanks as always for checking these posts out so carefully.

- Fenris

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
            • View Profile
          « Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 02:33:00 am »
          Then its the planar summon which needs adjusted, not the other. The spell should be only a round per level and be using a component. That its not is the issue.

Foxy

• View Profile
            « Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 10:21:00 am »
            Summon 9 spell.

Aeridin

Elder Water Elemental

Being the weakest of the elements, as well as the deadliest of the elements due to its Drowning capabilities in parties, I believe it should be changed to something that is infact useable. Perhaps a Planar creature that can use all the elements, something like this.

Ar7

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
            Evil summon IX

The Maralith has cure light wounds potions. When she is badly wounded she begins to drink them, it is useless for her to heal around 3hp while provoking countless attacks of opportunity. Half of the fights she would have won she loses due to these potions.

Leanthar

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 08:04:00 am »
            AR7, the Maralith has been fixed in the next update.
              Foxy, the change/update will be up to Ghost and if he thinks it is necisarry or is a bug.
              The Planar Summonging issue has been fixed.

Ar7

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 08:20:00 am »
            Thank you once again!

anything