The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: 06/06/06?  (Read 141 times)

Philosopher

06/06/06?
« on: May 06, 2006, 01:56:05 am »
What's everyone's view of 06/06/06?

I mean I was at the cinema yesterday and watched Mission Impossible 3, great film, but the film advertisements before were scary. One was about 06/06/06 when the "anti-christ" will rise... I was fine at first, but when I got back and started talking to my friend about it on Layo, he says it will happen etc etc....And I lost sleep over it over night.

But after some philosophising I don't think I believe in it...But I still do a bit anyway - but what are your views guys?

Edd.

Varka

Re: 06/06/06?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 02:05:49 am »
errhmm...gonna play golf today *picks his nose* so I dont really care.... ;)

silverdraco

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 02:29:27 am »
06/06/06 thats next month right? I have know Idea what I'll be doing but the world better not end. I have a Trip to the highlands of schotland planned in August.
and besides when did stuff like that actualy happend. I mean they planned stuff like that for the milenium, and we are still here.
And by the way what doe you get if you place that date upside down. ............. yes thats right 09/09/09.  

Just like I remember from one of the terminator movies: "Destiny is what we make of it ourself's." or something like that.
And movies are like stories they are made to to make the people beleave stuff thats often not true.

anyway don't let it get to you, just enjoy the good things in life.

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 02:45:06 am »
I think they should wait until after NWN2 comes out before they end the world.

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 02:46:25 am »
Well if it happens and we have like say 6 minutes to live i'll put on the 12 inch version of relax by Franky goes to Hollywood and quit smoking.

Filatus

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 04:20:48 am »
Will go away for the weekend with some friends four days later. If someone decides to end the world before that, I'll be very cross.

goldz8

• Druids
    • Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
RE: 06/06/06?
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 04:42:36 am »
Maybe that's when bird 'flu mutates and the chickens have their revenge.

I always take elderberry when I start feeling a cold or 'flu coming along - it's great stuff.

The astrological society I belong to reckon that June is a terrible month and advise people to take care. It's not a good time to get married or to start anything new.

ZeroVega

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 04:49:51 am »
Alright, here's what I've come up with.

1. Anyone remember September 9th, 1999? Or.... 9/9/99(1999) People thought it would be the end of the world too. *Cough*

2. In the day of Christ (since you mentioned the Antichrist) they thought it was going to happen in THEIR lifetime. *cough* 2000 years later...

3. If it is gonna happen, I can't stop it.

4. Isn't death supposed to be the next great adventure anyway?

I've kept this pretty neutral, not getting into much philosophy here, but it pretty much gets in to what you personally believe. I've got a book, we call it good, I'm partial to it rather than what Joe Shmoe heard from his budy's second cousin's wife's brother-in-law's friend's sister's baby daddy or that nerd who spends his time in his mother's basement simply to come up with possible dates for the end of the world.

Yosemite Sam

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 05:33:40 am »
    ZeroVega his it right.  Now let me add a quote "No man knows the day or the hour. Only the father knows".  If Christ himself doesnt know the time, you think it's gonna be as easy as 06/06/06?  Live your life like it could be today, live you life like it will not happen in your lifetime.

crazedgoblin

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 05:48:05 am »
    hehe its the same kinda question that this one is "what happend in 1961 that will not happen for a long time?"

LynnJuniper

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 06:08:11 am »
    6/6/06?

Senior Ditch Day *shrugs*  (Godda love us naughty Highschoolers)

Seriously..It's just a movie...

It's just like Y2K Really...Not gonna happen , In my honest opinion

Ne'er

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 06:57:56 am »
    Nah, the world can't possibly end on June 6th. The world is supposed to end on a Saturday, just before dinner. And June 6th is definately not a Saturday.

Nyralotep

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 07:49:19 am »
    I can't be the only one that watches this many movies and trailer.  The event they are hyping up os the re-make of the Omen, set to relaese on June 6th this year.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 08:05:27 am »
    Hey, it's a nice advertising ploy, I'll give 'em that.

Then again, there are reasons we're having all of these Good-vs-Evil-against-Armageddon flicks...

I'd give the end of the world as we know it another fifty years or so.

'Course, that could just be the day Coca-Cola stops endorsing McDonald's. We'd have some serious anarchy then!

Gulnyr

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 08:06:12 am »
    Try to remember that calendars are human inventions.

Way back when, in 325 CE, it was decided that the Spring equinox occured on 21 March.  By 1582 CE, it was occuring on 11 March.  So it was decided the Julian calendar wasn't working too well, and they decided to change over to the Gregorian calendar.  To fix the problem of all the holidays happening ten days too early, the Pope decided to skip 5-14 October, 1582 CE.  

Of course, not everyone listens to the Pope, so the new calendar was adopted in different places at different times.  For example, Britain didn't adopt the Gregorian calendar until 1752, though Spain had been using it well before then.  Because of that, it can be said that Shakespeare and Cervantes died on the same date (23 April 1616 CE), though Cervantes actually died ten days before Shakespeare.

So is 6 June really 6 June?  Does that question even have a meaning?

Of course, all this stuff is about two calandars.  What about all the other calendars that people have invented?  The only reason 6 June 2006 seems important is because it is in the calendar system you use.  Do you worry about the sixth day of the sixth month in the sixth year in any other calendar system?

And why would supernatural beings tie themselves to a human time-measuring system, anyway?  

Relax.

crazedgoblin

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 08:22:46 am »
    Gulnyr - 5/6/2006 4:06 PM  Try to remember that calendars are human inventions.  Way back when, in 325 CE, it was decided that the Spring equinox occured on 21 March. By 1582 CE, it was occuring on 11 March. So it was decided the Julian calendar wasn't working too well, and they decided to change over to the Gregorian calendar. To fix the problem of all the holidays happening ten days too early, the Pope decided to skip 5-14 October, 1582 CE.   Of course, not everyone listens to the Pope, so the new calendar was adopted in different places at different times. For example, Britain didn't adopt the Gregorian calendar until 1752, though Spain had been using it well before then. Because of that, it can be said that Shakespeare and Cervantes died on the same date (23 April 1616 CE), though Cervantes actually died ten days before Shakespeare.  So is 6 June really 6 June? Does that question even have a meaning?  Of course, all this stuff is about two calandars. What about all the other calendars that people have invented? The only reason 6 June 2006 seems important is because it is in the calendar system you use. Do you worry about the sixth day of the sixth month in the sixth year in any other calendar system?  And why would supernatural beings tie themselves to a human time-measuring system, anyway?   Relax.

to save time and effort :P

Nibor21

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 08:52:06 am »
    I thought the Ant-Christ was already alive and doing evil. Who invented soap operas?

feniox

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 08:54:28 am »
    Philosopher - 5/6/2006  1:56 AM

One was about 06/06/06 when the "anti-christ" will rise... I was fine at first, but when I got back and started talking to my friend about it on Layo, he says it will happen etc etc...

Lol. That was most likely an advert for the remake of The Omen, which is being released on that day, in the same way that they released the original on 06/06/76.

Nothing to be worried about, apart from a no doubt dreadful hollywood remake of a classic horror film.

Edit: Ah, someone beat me to it. I didn't notice the first time, heh.

Philosopher

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 09:56:47 am »
    Oh, some serious thinking today, it's just a lame day set up by Christians...because the number "666" was put in th bible.
    I read up on the internet, and Christians do believe that this will happen, this is Christians who believe in God...It shows they don't have a true belief in God, because if God did exist, God wouldn't have invented the "Devil" :)

My belief is even more re-enforced about the human calander - very valid point, if we didn't have a calander or sense of time, the 06/06/06 "Dilema" wouldn't have happened in the first place. :)

I know the world will end one day, it's inevtiable, and about death - I fear it because it is unknown to me...But I believe that my soul will move onto a new human body from birth, that's how we get dejavoo I think sometimes, but they say it's one side of the brain being slower than the other side :) But some dejavoo cannot be explained, but I guess it's similar environments....

Edd.

Emerald Skye

• Followers of Aeridin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 10:18:00 am »
    I prefer to lean on the BIG BOOK!  It's the greatest history book ever written. :) And I remember 9/9/1999.....we called each other all day just to say "you still here?"  :)

anything