The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Books Recommendations As An Introduction to Fantasy?  (Read 1503 times)

SquareKnot

Books Recommendations As An Introduction to Fantasy?
« on: March 17, 2006, 10:07:25 pm »
I'm trying to introduce my wife to the whole fantasy genre. She's an avid reader, reading about 5 books a week (she has to do something while I'm playing Layo :) ). A lot of what she reads is the typical romance novel fare. But I've convinced her to try some fantasy novels. Now I just need some specific titles as a starting place. She's seen some of the LotR movies, but that's about it.

There are a lot of books out there, but I'm looking for something that doesn't assume you've memorized the Monster Manual and have a map of the Forgotten Realms tatooed on your forearm. If someone could recommend something with a romantic, but not too racey, theme, they'll earn bonus points.

From here, it will only be a tiny step before she's submitting a character. Booouuhhhhaaahhhhaaaa. * evil smirk *

So, any recommendations?

Nyralotep

Re: Books Recommendations As An Introduction to Fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 10:08:52 pm »
A good series to start out on in the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Leanthar

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:15:13 pm »
I highly recommend DragonLance! They are great reads and are just fun to read.  The Chronicles (the first trilogy) and then War of the Twins (the second trilogy)....After that pick up what you want.

There are a lot of good Forgotten Realms books as well. I like Clerics Quintet...but there are so many to choose from.

I also love Feist!!

KageKeeper

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 10:25:49 pm »
The Belgariad by David Eddings. *nods*

Real easy reading, great humor and a very nice story. It is a 5 book series followed by the Mallorean, another 5 book series.

Dragonlance is also a very good suggestion as well.

aragwen

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 11:16:34 pm »
Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan (11 books thus far one more to come)
  Magician, SilverThorn and Darkness at Sethanon - Raymond E Feist (his first trilogy, but he has written other books that is well worth it as well)
  And as noted before you have to read Dragonlance, I lost count but there is at least 4 trilogies I think.

vgn

RE: Books Recommendations As An Introduction to Fantasy?
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 11:26:35 pm »
I believe one of the best series for her to read would be the "Guardians of the Flame" series by Joel Rosenberg. Start at the beginning of course with:
The Sleeping Dragon
The Sword and the Chain
The Silver Crown

The series goes on from there, but that is a good place to start and she can continue if she enjoys them. They contain fantasy but also bridge to our world. There is romance as well as adventure.

If she likes those and Joel Rosenberg's style, I recommend another series he wrote called "Keepers of the Hidden Ways" and is comprised of:
"The Fire Duke"
"The Silver Stone"
"The Crimson Sky"

I do recommend the Guardians of the Flame first though and if she likes it then move on to more in that series and/or the Keepers of the Hidden Ways series.

I think these are lighter, while still being serious as opposed to comic fantasy. I personally think that while series like the LotR are good, they are heavy fantasy and likely too much for someone being introduced to fantasy.

I also second L's recommendation of the Dragon Lance books, specifically the first trilogy.

Also I recommend Terry Brooks for his strong mass appeal. His Shannara books are quite good, though they tend towards heavier fantasy, though not as heavy as LotR. On the other hand he has two other series that I think would make good starters for your wife. The Magic Kingdom of Landover and the rest of that series are great for a first time fantasy read. They are on the lighter side, but not horribly so. Also his Word and the Void series which starts with Running With the Demon is a great read. One thing about both of these series is like the Rosenberg recommendations above, they bridge our world with fantasy worlds. In my experience having a concrete base of "reality" helps in the introduction to fantasy.

Varnart

• Followers of Aragen
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 11:57:54 pm »
I agree with Dragonlance too.

War of the Spider Queen by R. A. Salvatore and another author for each one of the six books.

There's also a great series in Portuguese, but I don't know if it's already translated. I'll write it here just in case: "Crónica de Allaryia"(Chronicles of Allaryia in english) by Filipe Faria.

I also enjoyed Eragon and Eldest, especially the second, both by Christopher Paolini.

"Sabriel" by Garth Nix.

I didn't like LotR all the much, but that's just me.

DarkMerc_1017

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 01:14:28 am »
Forgotten Realms are good to start with. Try books by R.A. Salvatore and Ed Greenwood they have some realy good books.

Try The Cleric Quintet as L said its good or The Dark Elf Trilogy By R.A.

Or The Elminster books by Ed Greenwood

The Cleric Quintet
"Canticle"
"In Sylvan Shadows"
"Night Masks"
"The Fallen Fortress"

The Dark Elf Trilogy
"Homeland"
"Exile"
"Sojurn"
(First book may be a little slow)

Elminster
"Elminster The Making of a Mage"
"Elminster in Myth Drannor"
"The Temptation of Elminster"

and if you want to get a good scope of the world of Forgottne Relms I personly would read "Once Around the Realms" this book should alow you to get to know a good number of places in the realms and of the people and items in them.

-----
IN TIME THE STUDENT BECOMES THE MASTER
"a hero is no braver then an ordinary man he is just brave 5 minutes longer"
"courage is fear holding on a minute longer"
"he who fears being conqured is sure of defeat"

freemen2

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 02:51:11 am »
Just the Hobbit if she likes it she'll grab LotR on her own ;)
Light and funny, Brooks but not the Shanara series, those come a bit later to get her really hooked ;)
She's got a wicked sense of humor then go Pierce Anthony.
Else for a nice mix of personal stories and fantasy, Eddings as well as Kernn, the series by them :)

Weeblie

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 04:03:27 am »
Agree with KageKeeper. The Edding's books (at least those two series) are excellent for beginners.

Dragonlance, LotR and Wheel of Time are great too, but especially the later two are "heavier" to read than the Edding's books...

Aah... Hehe... And romantic part... It exists in the Edding's books too. :)

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 04:16:26 am »
"Mists of Avalon" she might enjoy.
Its King Authur.Through the eyes of the women who lived the times.

Honora

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 04:33:13 am »
DragonsBane series by Barbara Hambly.  Her writing is like eating a 7 course meal in a lush garden of flowers....full of sensations so wonderfully written you feel like you are there.  It's fantasy but character-driven, not fight fight fight.

Lilswanwillow

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 05:11:08 am »
as a GIRL

ok, she likes romance type novels, etc etc.  Get her onto Mercades Lackey.  The first ones, and best ones IMO for her to read will be the arrows trilogy (arrows flight, arrows fall, arrows of the queen)  its a little romantic, and it takes a 'orphan' into the highest courts of a queen.  Heck, I loved the book so much, and fell in love with the character, if my babies a girl, her name is going to be after the main character in the series.
for the romance in her, the next book out of Lackey's to get her would be the 'The last herald-mage' trilogy, which is oddly THE FIRST BOOK WRITTEN IN FANTASY about a gay boy and his relations... she'll BAWL at the end of each book, and in the middle of them all too. Same with the book 'Brightly Burning'

AND THATS looking at her liking romance novels: yes, the other books listed are good, and my first were dragonlance... but she may be more open to Mercedes Lackey than the others...

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 05:20:37 am »
*points up to Varnart* Yup, Chronicles of Allaryia is a great series and it's not even all done yet. :)

Haven't read any of R.A. Salvatore's books, though i did read the LoTR triology and recommend it, it's a nice one.

Ne'er

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 05:48:28 am »
The Icewind Dale trilogy is really good, as are a lot of the other Salvatore books.

merlin34baseball

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 12:19:24 pm »
The best books I have ever read, and I've read alot, are George RR Martins.  They encompass everything, combat, romance, intrigue, magic, wars, and politics, with some really powerful female figures to boot!  They are long but it doesn't seen that way when your reading them...

A Game of Thrones
A clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
and the newest: A feast of Crows

Niles09

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 12:27:39 pm »
- Dragonlance -

akata

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 12:31:48 pm »
you might wanna let her look into Terry Goodkind's sword of truth series *grins* but let her start with dragonlance it is the best fantacy book out there  ;)

deagle

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2006, 02:04:05 pm »
Fantasy novels are what got me involved in roleplaying....29 years later and I still enjoy the reading.

All the above are excellent books and authors. Eddings 10 book story of a boy that becomes a Scorcerer King is one of my favorites as well as Feist's Magician Series.

For a little twist on magic...Kurtz's Deryni stories are a great mix of magic and religion, I would also recommenrd the Death Gate Series.

You might also look at Donaldson's books..The Covenant Chronicles and The Mirror of Her Dreams.

To tie roamnce and fantasy, you might check out The Sunrunners Fire series by Melanie Rawn or if you can find it in print still...the Falcon and the Hound or Arabel's Saga.

I could go on with the library but the best is to pick a book and start and she will soon learn which authors she likes best.

Nyralotep

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »
Amending to my list....L was right with the DragonLance series, simply excellent.

Any of RA Salvatore's Forgoteen Realms books, all of these are excellent IMO.

For the more obscure, they are out of print but in collections at the store are the Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series.  Not exactly great books for someone new to fantasy but excellent fantasy as well as Fritz Lieber's Fafrhd and the Gray Mouser series.

I didn't like the Dave Eddings books but they would be good for someone new to fantasy I think.

And if you like funny fantasy then get the MythAdventures series from Robert Lynn Asprin, funny stuff!