The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: GM training  (Read 232 times)

jrizz

GM training
« on: September 09, 2005, 10:32:00 am »
I do not know if this is already posted or has been suggested in the past (I have been looking though). How does one go about becoming a GM in Layonara. I was a PnP DM for many years (15) and enjoyed the story telling, mystery building, hero challenging, RP interaction, Multi RP roles (NPC) that come with it. I would like to do this again online. I would need some hand holding in the begining in terms of the tools and of course the blending into the layonara overall story line.

Cheers,
John

IDii

RE: GM training
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 10:35:00 am »
When we decide to add more GMs on the team, we make a public post where we tell people how to apply. Usually it's been done by having people post their applications in the thread.

Then we have interviews and ask the applicants questions while the team discusses who should get on the team and in a while the decision is made and announced.

After that the new GMs can start learning. The older GMs will of course help traing them and give advice and so on.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
Wait....we get training for this?  Pah!  Who needs it!
  Just kidding. ;)
  Hey, what's this button do?..........*clicks*............ooops.

Zen

• Followers of Aeridin
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 11:34:00 am »
Dorganath - 9/9/2005  12:51 PM  
 Wow You made my day with that hehe haha hoho LOL  OK sometimes I am easily amused ;)

regnus

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 11:51:00 am »
Dorganath - 9/9/2005  1:51 PM    Wait....we get training for this?  Pah!  Who needs it!
  Just kidding. ;)
 Oh No!  Aether pressed the history eraser button!

jrizz

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 12:02:00 pm »
thanks for the info on this. I will be checking for that post :)

Cheers,
John

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 12:39:00 pm »
|Hey, what's this button do?..........*clicks*............ooops.|

errmmm, yeah, witnessed a few of those as a player... down in Haven once and all of a sudden the place fills with parlor music, with crazy piano and everything....  I was totally wierded out until the DM chimed up and said the button he was trying to use was apparently mislabled and to disregard the funky jive.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 02:18:00 pm »
WA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH... smiting ogers to elevator music..... BWA HA HA HA AHA HAHA

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 04:49:00 pm »
lol yea i was on that one... i was very confused by that.

Diamondedge

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 04:30:00 am »
That's why we love 'em. They screw with the environment and fiddle with the cosmos to figure out their jobs. :)

EdTheKet

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »

1) it pauses the server 2) it saves the server (and probably crashes it too) 3) it ports all players on the server to that spot 4) it turns the neutral NPCs hostile to all players  I believe those are the standard 4 that we all get wrong at least once during the first few weeks of GMness :) Despite warnings from the entire GM team not to do it, LOL.

Variable

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 01:52:00 pm »
EdTheKet - 9/11/2005 2:51 PM

1) it pauses the server 2) it saves the server (and probably crashes it too) 3) it ports all players on the server to that spot 4) it turns the neutral NPCs hostile to all players  I believe those are the standard 4 that we all get wrong at least once during the first few weeks of GMness :) Despite warnings from the entire GM team not to do it, LOL.

Lol Thats great, but you forgot the one that kills all players on the server ;)

Filatus

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 01:58:00 pm »

Heh, a couple of weeks ago, when I was on Central with Jacchri, Rolf, Vivian, Acacea, Dorena, Luna and Alantha, Otaking misclicked badly, resulting in all of us instantly attacking Jacchri. He sure ran away fast, because even Daeron hit him with a +5 AB.

Dorganath

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »
EdTheKet - 9/11/2005 3:51 PM

Somehow, I have avoided all of those...for now. :)

Diamondedge

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 09:38:00 pm »
I'd like to see the one where all the neutral's turn hostile. :) I'd like to see the factions altered again, so that Erag and what's-her-face start fighting. Erag cheats and uses a dagger. The cheater.

Vyris

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 10:17:00 pm »
EdTheKet - 9/11/2005  2:51 PM  

You forgot the 'Never have your mouse hovering over a player when you hit the "Y" button' rule, *raises his hand* I've done that, and paused, unpaused, paused, unpaused, all while typing merrily along... then attempted to save and crashed the servers. Fun stuff.  Vyris

Nuzatch

• Followers of Aragen
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 10:58:00 pm »
Back in the day when I as a GM, I mixed the "Kill" and "Goto" buttons up quite a bit.  I'm sure there are horror stories, but namely, in the midst of a deep RP session Icedragon was apparently having, I killed her.  Nothing like an untimely death to ruin the mood.

aragwen

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 03:03:00 am »
*looks at Daeron*
  That was not funny....not after you all wanted to kill me to get me of the ledge I was stuck on...but none of you could run fast enough to catch me.....hahaha...
  ...and if I remember well enough none of you actually hit me....
  ...but all jokes aside....not nice when your whole party turns on you...it was a scary couple of minutes...

Acacea

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »
aragwen - 9/12/2005  3:03 AM
and if I remember well enough none of you actually hit me....

Actually, Jacchri had Rolf's damage reduction which soaked them up, otherwise you probably would have been bleeding- even Acacea got a good one on you. (Har?)

aragwen

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 11:52:00 pm »
oh yes.... that is right....you guys hit me....but no damage...
  *mumbles*...with friends like that who needs enemies.....heh