The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Happy Pumpkin Day!  (Read 198 times)

Lalaith Va'lash

Happy Pumpkin Day!
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:11:24 am »
[SIZE=24]Happy Halloween All!!!!! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16]Beware the spooks and other unworldly horrors ;)
[/SIZE]

--- [SIZE=10](Yes, I'm aware this isn't celebrated widely.  But, for those that do..)[/SIZE]

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Happy Pumpkin Day!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:04:54 am »
And a blessed Samhain to you all. <3

(Off of work! Bwahahah!)

Leanthar

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:47:38 am »
Enjoy the day with the family! :)

Rowana

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:49:46 am »
Happy New Year to certain folks! Happy Halloween to most of the rest of you! *winks*

~row

LynnJuniper

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:23:27 am »
I wish I could enjoy the day with my family. I have work and school ugh.
Row, I thought it was "Happy Year's End", isn't "New Year" Tomorrow with this as the eve of it?

[/11th grade Wicca Wannabe-ness]

Falonthas

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:51:12 am »
but lala, we are the spooks and unworldly horrors

lonnarin

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:50:37 pm »
This used to be my favorite holiday as a kid, but then I went to college, then got a job and got older.  Now that I have to cook for myself and buy candy any time I want, I can safely say that Thanksgiving tops the list.  Between both my parents, they must have at least 40 cooking skill levels.  I always come back home with at least 3 extra pumpkin pies and 20 lbs of turkey and sides in tupperware that last another week!  Once you move out to live on your own, those Thanksgiving leftovers become more prescious than candy.

I still look forward to dusting off my television set and watching all the Halloween marathons though, I have the script to the Halloween that Almost Wasn't embroidered into my skull.

"Teeny tiny bat, teeny tiny bat, teeny tiny bat, teeny tiny bat..."

Lynn1020

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 01:36:40 pm »
Happy Halloween!!! :)

Ellis

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 02:40:57 pm »
Happy Halloween everyone!

Polak76

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 11:39:51 pm »
I know you guys in the states celebrate this day but in australia we basically ignore it.....until yesterday.

As I was driving into my driveway last night I was wondering why there were so many kids door-knocking.  Then when I was half naked getting out of my work clothes a bunch of kids came to my door "Trick or treat!".  I have to admit i was totally gobsmacked!
We don't really keep sweets in our house so I had nothing to give them.  I was nearly going to offer them a whiskey.
Anyway I felt so bad when I had to tell them "Sorry kids, I don't have anything to give."
I said it quietly as I was embarrassed, then one of the kids in a shrill, ear-tearing bellow echoes out to his mum "Mum, he's got nothing to give!".

Man I felt bad.

Next year I'll set a reminder on the calendar to purchase sweets prior to Halloween.  It seems it's becoming a little more popular over here.

Cheers,
Polak76

Tanman

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 12:12:32 am »
Polak76, maybe that was the trick! :)

Mooneyes

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 12:31:54 am »
It is kinda fun to see who shows up at the door:)  But I'm with ya on the thanksgiving thing.  My favorite too. Have a Happy One everybody :)

deagle

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 12:48:11 am »
Happy Halloween to All !!!

I usually spend the evening dressed ghoulishly at my sisters place where we have it all spooked out for the little goblins coming around for treats.
 We get them from miles away to come and see what has been added each year.
 Its alot of fun, but its quite draining as well. Its become a family thing that I think their kids will continue on as they get older...I really think they enjoy halloween more than Christmas.

Anyways...as Elvira would say..."Unpleasant Dreams"

Polak76

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 01:14:37 am »
I usually spend the evening dressed ghoulishly at my sisters place where we have it all spooked out for the little goblins coming around for treats.

You must be talking about lonnarin and his mates.

ycleption

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »
Y feliz Dia de los Muertos!

Falonthas

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 03:05:22 pm »
but there is a nagging question noone has been able to answer though

halloween is celebrating the dead and spirits , you collect candy and have a party and wear a costume you dont wear any other time during the year

easter is celelbrating the spirits, you collect candy and have a party and wear a costume you dont wear any other time during the year

only diff is one is pink with a bunny in the daytime on a sunday
and the other is black and orange at night with the pumpkin at the end of the month

so why is it people get so bent out of shape when i say they are the same thing

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 03:48:45 pm »
Well, they're both celebrating the passing on of a male deity-figure from this life to the next... Though why the Christians synched up their celebration of that event with the pagan point when that deity is about to ensure his continued existence past this life...

Well, I can see that. Jesus was coming back from the dead, albeit to heaven, so... I guess Easter fits both Samhain and Beltain, though I think it would fit Samhain and Yule (the birth of the male deity) better.

Interesting stuff.

ycleption

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 04:29:04 pm »
(forgive me if this is overly serious; I think holidays and stuff are important)

Well, one derives from harvest festivals, and in Christianity from a remembrance of the dead (all hallow's eve).
The other derives from fertility/sowing seed type festivals, and in Christianity from a remembrance of resurrection and life.
So, really they are completely opposite; they are intended to reflect each other in certain ways, yes, but celebrate very different things.
The modern consumer take on the holidays really is why holidays become similar: when you cover everything with a plastic veneer it becomes difficult to tell anything apart.

Falonthas

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 05:04:19 pm »
dang that plastic veneer

but the candy coating still tastes good

Lalaith Va'lash

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:13 pm »
Quote from: Falonthas
but lala, we are the spooks and unworldly horrors

SHhhhhhh, Falonthas, You'll let them all know our secret!

Sorry, while I'm all for serious and an appreciation of who, what, where, when why, and how things are celebrated, I'm hijacking this thread and and nudging it into the spirit it was intended! ;)

anything