The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Is the 64-bit vista OS not compatable?  (Read 922 times)

Drizzlin

Is the 64-bit vista OS not compatable?
« on: October 24, 2008, 02:23:28 am »
Is the 64-bit vista OS not compatable?

I thought the 64 bit OS is the one I am running at home, which runs nwn just fine. I went out and bought a dang computer on this trip because i'm sick of not playing and missing you folks. However, I can't get nwn to work at all.

lolli_gagged

Re: Is the 64-bit vista OS not compatable?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 03:07:45 am »
Have you tried opening it and running it as admin? then sometimes you have to let the beginning show run through all the logo scenes and such to start it up.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:07:55 am »
I'm running NWN on Vista Ultimate 64-bit and it's running fine. You might try disabling User Access Control (that annoying thing that asks you for permission for everything) and/or running under the administrator context, but I don't think I'm doing the latter.

Also, be sure it's patched fully up to 1.69.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:15:27 am »
Yes, if it's not fully patched it won't run. Also, try running it not from the standard NWN, but from your NWN folder, the nwmain application, with disabling User Access control and/or running as admin

Weeblie

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:06:31 am »
Another peculiarity: Avoid 3D sound.

Without a high end soundcard with "special patching" to enable... say... EAX in Vista, you will be hit with "unexplainable" FPS drops.

Drizzlin

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 01:20:10 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
I'm running NWN on Vista Ultimate 64-bit and it's running fine. You might try disabling User Access Control (that annoying thing that asks you for permission for everything) and/or running under the administrator context, but I don't think I'm doing the latter.

Also, be sure it's patched fully up to 1.69.

Lets start here, who do i disable the Access Control.

Thanks

Drizzlin

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 01:20:51 pm »
Quote from: lolli_gagged
Have you tried opening it and running it as admin? then sometimes you have to let the beginning show run through all the logo scenes and such to start it up.

I right clicked on the properties and set it to run with windows xp settings and then clicked on a box that said run as admin. Is that what you mean?

Drizzlin

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 01:21:28 pm »
Quote from: Weeblie
Another peculiarity: Avoid 3D sound.

Without a high end soundcard with "special patching" to enable... say... EAX in Vista, you will be hit with "unexplainable" FPS drops.

How do I turn this off?

Thanks

Drizzlin

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 01:25:13 pm »
Quote from: LynnJuniper
Yes, if it's not fully patched it won't run. Also, try running it not from the standard NWN, but from your NWN folder, the nwmain application, with disabling User Access control and/or running as admin

I think she gets the genius award!!! As of right now it said I didn't have all the hacks, which I thought I had downloaded, but guess not. This is the second machine I have bought in 3 days. I had to take the other one back, there were dead pixels on the screen. I might have downloaded the hacks on the other one =P

Either way, it did start up by going into the folder and clicking the nwmain there.

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 01:43:41 pm »
Quote from: Drizzlin
Lets start here, who do i disable the Access Control.

Thanks

Control panel under "User Accounts"

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 02:11:50 pm »
I think if you type in msconfig into the "Run" option on the start menu it will bring up the User Access Panel (might be part of a large config option thingy)

Weeblie

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 02:12:38 pm »
How do I turn this off?

Thanks

Luckily, 3D sound is not enabled per default. :)

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 03:41:42 pm »
I had my choice between the 32 bit Vista that came with my 64-bit system, or the 64-bit version of XP I had for the past 3 years.  Gotta love incremental monopolistic bundling; almost like selling a guy a bicycle with one wheel, and only selling new wheels in sets of two! :P

In any case, you have it up and running per satisfactory functionality?

LynnJuniper

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 06:04:40 pm »
I think she gets the genius award!!! As of right now it said I didn't have all the hacks, which I thought I had downloaded, but guess not. This is the second machine I have bought in 3 days. I had to take the other one back, there were dead pixels on the screen. I might have downloaded the hacks on the other one =P

Either way, it did start up by going into the folder and clicking the nwmain there.

Awwww Shucks *blush* Nah, I just bought a new computer last month and went through the pleasure of killing myself to get nwn to work. Its a pain but once it works the first time you're pretty much golden :) 'Grats on getting there.

Drizzlin

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 10:54:57 pm »
Ok, found new issue. When i click the mouse wheel down in the game it minimizes the game. When i click the mouse wheel on my desktop, it brings up 4 screens, one is the desktop, one is the bar for the web cam, and the others are what ever windows i have open.

Any clue how to turn that off on a lap top with vista 64?

LynnJuniper

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 11:06:57 pm »
My best guess would be to play around in the Control Panel. Try the Ease of Access Center..thing, if you have it. Failing that, try Mouse, or Desktop.

Dorganath

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 11:13:18 pm »
That's a mouse setting.  Use the Mouse control panel to adjust the behavior of the wheel button.

Drizzlin

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 03:43:14 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone.

anything