The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Possible new source of CNR (Semi-serious)  (Read 141 times)

darkstorme

Possible new source of CNR (Semi-serious)
« on: July 24, 2006, 07:23:04 am »
This would be unremittingly evil, most likely... but it's an interesting concept, so I thought I'd propose it in General Discussion and see the reaction.

What would happen if you mined a creature upon whom you'd just successfully cast Flesh to Stone?  What is the mineral content, say, of a petrified elf?  It would be a thoroughly evil source of CNR, but temptation towards alignment violation is always a good thing, IMHO.  So, minable enemies?  Thoughts?

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Possible new source of CNR (Semi-serious)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 07:27:28 am »
I think what the spell does is turn the object into a granite-like material.  If such is the case, then what would be mined would be a granite-like rock... so, nothing useful for our CNR system.  However, still useful in killing or displaying your enemies....

Dorganath

RE: Possible new source of CNR (Semi-serious)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:33:05 am »
Ahh...but you could make kitchen countertops out of them. *nods a few times*

LordCove

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:39:43 am »
Either that.....or use them as statues to adorn your home....that would be good. Turn a large Ogre into stone and have it as a decoration in your home.
Nice

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:41:48 am »
"Ahh, and here we have the newest addition to the house.  It's furnished with only the finest of marble from petrified illithid and drow.  Each counter top was molded from their torsos, while each of the side tables, as you can see, are supported by the creatures' lower appendages."

Faldred

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 07:41:59 am »
LordCove - 7/24/2006  10:39 AM

Either that.....or use them as statues to adorn your home....that would be good. Turn a large Ogre into stone and have it as a decoration in your home.
Nice

Yeah, right until someone decides to cast "dispel magic" or "stone to flesh" on your collection.  Layonara homeowner's insurance doesn't cover that kind of damage.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 07:43:44 am »
heh, that's why you drill a nice litttle hole in the throat of each statue, so that ~if~ someone restores them, they come back to life significantly damaged and don't actually live very long.

they also make lovely fountains.

darkstorme

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 08:27:24 am »
Or take the approach used in the Dungeon adventure "The Statue Garden", where the medusa responsible for the statues carefully snapped the head off each statue and then replaced it with a drop of glue to hold it in place.  However, "Stone to Flesh" would still be a messy spell to cast in such a well-adorned home.

Gunther

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 09:10:25 am »
two words.......lawn gnomes

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 12:10:35 pm »
eek!

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 04:56:55 pm »
A maralith can be my coat rack.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 05:47:54 pm »
Wow. "A bead of petrified flesh." How's that for an item name? A focus component for... Och, I dunno, Power Word: Kill?

Acacea

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 06:15:29 pm »
Flesh to Stone and Stone to Flesh ;)

Diamondedge

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 07:00:28 pm »
Reminds me of King's Quest, with the gingerbread people outside the witch's house.

Also, do people feel the time pass when they're petrified? I've never actually read up on petrification effects, and so forth. A cruel trick to play would be to flesh-to-stone someone, move them and cast a disguise upon yourself, stone-to-flesh them and tell them that it's two or three hundred years in the future and that everyone they love is long, long gone.

I like the idea of a garden gnome. Turor would probably buy petrified goblins to adorn his home or something. :)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 07:02:17 pm »
What happens when you cast Stone to Flesh on, say, a lump of granite?

Acacea

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 07:13:31 pm »
I think it's meant only to restore someone under the effects of petrification--not to turn any lump of stone into some fleshy pieces. So unless the lump of granite was a petrified brownie... probably nothing. Or maybe it turns mushy. But I doubt it. :)

Crunch

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 07:21:26 pm »
So a stone to flesh spell doesn't turn rocks into tasty morsels?  I thought that was where chicken fingers came from.  I guess I'll keep buying a bunch of cook's specials before I go adventuring.

Esi

Acacea

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 10:00:54 pm »
Stone to flesh... a mage's source of trail rations. Nice!

Dorganath

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 10:07:30 pm »
Adventurer 1: mmm...that smells good.  Whatcha cookin' up there, Frank?
Adventurer 2: This? Oh just some bricks from that ruined tower we passed about a mile back...Want a slice?

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 10:14:55 pm »
Totally doing that in my next PnP session, Dorg. Wow.

anything