The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Proud Dad  (Read 213 times)

jrizz

Proud Dad
« on: December 14, 2007, 07:06:14 pm »
My four year old son is sitting next to me playing his first PC game :) I go to help him and he says "no daddy I can do it myself" then he takes the mouse and starts playing :) HE ROCKS!

Lynn1020

Re: Proud Dad
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:09:19 pm »
I'm sure Mom will be just as proud. ;)

LordCove

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:11:16 pm »
I hope... and I pray... mine is the same.:)

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 07:24:16 pm »
Hooray! :)  And what's the game?  (As I recall, my first was something called Astro-Grover.  Happily, I upgraded from that to Carmen Sandiego fast enough.)

Mmmm.. old school PC edutainment.

Link 'cause I can.  Ahhh, nostalgia.

Falonthas

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 07:43:06 pm »
my first game was exodus on the vic 20
now i am showing my age

wait till he can beat you at your games though
my cousin does that on madden and i hate that

ycleption

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:02:06 pm »
Quote from: darkstorme
Hooray! :)  And what's the game?  (As I recall, my first was something called Astro-Grover.  Happily, I upgraded from that to Carmen Sandiego fast enough.)

Mmmm.. old school PC edutainment.

Link 'cause I can.  Ahhh, nostalgia.

*sighs with nostalgia*
Yup, I remember astro-grover... either that or Ernie's Magic Shapes was my first game, played on a good old commodore 64

ystrday

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:45 pm »
Gah.. I feel so old.. only games like that I played was asteroids.. I didn't know what computers were till high school!

lonnarin

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:42:09 pm »
The first real game that hooked me was for the old atari when I was around 3-4 years old...  Adventure. Adventure (Atari 2600) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  It was a maze for a little box-man running around slaying dragons with his lance that looked awfully a lot like an arrow.  He got to run around collecting items like a ladder which let him hop through walls/past moats, keys to open the gates, and trophies which he brought back to his castle to win the levels.

I also remember that that game was part of one of the first or second nightmares I ever had.  I remember walking around the rim of some bubbling volcano and trying to step over that guard-dog lizard that sat around Jabba's Palace in return of the jedi, thyen finally leaping over him and coming to this room where there were... *gulp* hundreds of little poorly drawn polygon dragons trying to eat me.  In retrospect, it was hilarious that one of my first natural fears were villains in a video game.  The crazy monster-muppets in Fraggle Rock also scared me that game... something about pom-pom-like googly-eyed monsters that eat fraggles scared the bejeebus out of me.  I tried to flee them while running on sand... and I remembered from beaches as a wee one that running on sand is slower, since the sand shoots out behind you.  That is why I hate sand to this day...  hard to run from muppets in.

Pseudonym

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 09:43:30 pm »
*hugs ystrday in joint oldness*

I remember my brother programming something on the Vic20 when I was maybe 10-12 and then no-one being allowed to touch the TV for 4 days afterwards cos' there was no way of saving his 17 hours of entering code (basic I think?). heh, the trepidation of all this time spent, crossing fingers and then typing 'run' at the end! If you were successful and hadn't made any errors you ended up with the dubious entertainment of two amphorous blobs on screen that bounced a slightly smaller blob between them.

@jrizz, it's when he has a higher level character than you running around Layo that you know you have completely fulfilled your role as geek father. I look forward to the next incarnation of Layo when character approver jrizz jnr asks his old man for a complete rewrite of a character concept. "No Dad, more elaboration on what his alignment means to him please".

Actually, that sounds more like Darkstorme's kid.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 10:37:37 pm »
Wow, I started on Asteroid, too. And Missile Command, Galaga...

Did the Xanth game when it came out, too.

But it was FFI that hooked me on RPGs.

jrizz

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 01:46:53 am »
The game is Cat in the hat on the Mac
His Mom is not happy about it :)
OMG Pseud you crack me up

EdTheKet

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 04:38:51 am »
Actually, that sounds more like Darkstorme's kid.
LOL, almost spit out my coffee laughing :)

Leanthar

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 09:02:52 am »
@jrizz, I know how you feel. When Raylynn said the same words to me I just walked away on a cloud. (for her the game was Bob the Builder)

"......No Dad, more elaboration on what his alignment means to him please"....."

Now that would be funny! :)

major6

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 09:45:16 am »
That totally rocks all of this.  I have a five year old nephew who I am already getting hooked on gaming.  He can already play on his own.  As for the first game I ever played, it was on the tv and there was this transparent film that went over the tv as an overlay and you had a blip (dot) that roamed around, there was a haunted house game, pong of course and a few others.  I also remember the commodore, my 80-88 computer that I owned forever (oversized word processor) and my first online gaming at Brown university that was all words and was passed from college to college.  The good ole days :)  Thank god they advanced!

anything