The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Question ( i know ..it gets boring :) )  (Read 967 times)

jan

Question ( i know ..it gets boring :) )
« on: April 22, 2008, 05:19:56 pm »
I am thinking on making another character and have some questions first to see what is allowed and what not :

If i get lucky and get the character up through quests , would it be allowed to have approximate the same lvl's in his/her "normal " classes and only a few in the ( hopefully ) prestige class that i want and then switch back to his/her " normal " classes ?

Would it be possible to have more then one prestige class ?

Is it allowed to have one character in one guild and another in another guild ?

With a good written biography , would it be possible to have one really low score on his/her stats ? ( for instance mutilation in captivity to explain a very low charisma score )

Can a character be an official follower of more then one Deity ?

I know i had more when i started this , so i probably ask more a bit later ;)

jrizz

Re: Question ( i know ..it gets boring :) )
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 07:02:30 pm »
1. The rule about five levels always applies. Prior to twenty you must have at least 5 levels in each class. if you take a new class after twenty you MUST take at least 5 CONSECUTIVE levels in the class.
2. Yes you can have more then one PrC (depending).
3. Yes you can have a PC in one guild and another PC in another guild. You CANT have two PCs in the same guild/group.
4. Stat min/max rules are as stated. I dont see an exception being made to them unless it happened in the course of the PCs life and with direct GM interaction.
5. As long as it is not a character of divine nature (cleric, paladin....) then multi deities should be fine.

darkstorme

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:30:26 pm »
Everything Jrizz said is accurate.

To clarify on a few points:
  • While it's possible to have more than one prestige class, it is not mechanically possible (in NWN) to have more than three classes, prestige or otherwise.
  • While a character can be a follower of multiple deities, they will not gain the advantages of being a worshiper of any one of the deities (ie. clerics of their deities will see them as being Neutral towards them.)

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 07:58:23 pm »
To clarify the clarification, one should really only have anything in their deity field if they are highly devout.  Someone who claims to follow the dogmas of multiple deities is probably not really "devout" but simply "observant."  In either case, having multiple deities in one's deity field does not impart benefits of both in a mechanical sense.

jan

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 04:58:54 am »
Quote from: jrizz
1. The rule about five levels always applies. Prior to twenty you must have at least 5 levels in each class. if you take a new class after twenty you MUST take at least 5 CONSECUTIVE levels in the class.
2. Yes you can have more then one PrC (depending).
3. Yes you can have a PC in one guild and another PC in another guild. You CANT have two PCs in the same guild/group.
4. Stat min/max rules are as stated. I dont see an exception being made to them unless it happened in the course of the PCs life and with direct GM interaction.
5. As long as it is not a character of divine nature (cleric, paladin....) then multi deities should be fine.

So to sum it up :

I could go for say : fighter ( x )/ weaponmaster ( 7 ) / skald ( 5 ) and then go back to taking fighter levels because with 5 skald and 7 weaponmaster i opened up everything in the prestige-classes that i might find interesting ?

a PLAYER can be part of as many guilds as he/she has characters but a CHARACTER cannot be part of more then one guild/organisation ?

It wont be approved on creation , with a well explaining biography , to have one score lower then 8 ?

Having multiple Deities in your Deity field sooner takes away the advantages ( less costs for clerics raising you by way of the same Deity ) then that it gives them ?

Pen N Popper

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:14:53 am »
Quote from: jan

It wont be approved on creation , with a well explaining biography , to have one score lower then 8 ?

From LORE: Character Submission
Characters may not have more than one ability stat below an 8 and no more than two ability stats that are 8. No ability may be lower than 6. This includes subrace adjustments so keep that in mind when creating your character.

This means you can have an 6, 8, and a bunch of 9s.

I just noticed that jrizz' "character approval" standard message is actually incorrect.  It states, "Only two ability scores can be less than 10 and only one can be less than 8 after racial adjustments."

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:22:42 am »
A) Well, I don't think you can take Skald levels without Bardsong. So, no, that wouldn't work. But Fighter, Weaponmaster, Duelist would. (As an aside, that would be SICKENINGLY powerful at high-high levels.)

B) A PLAYER can be a part of a theoretically unlimited number of organizations. There's a realistic limit around 18, but...

- Player Bob can NEVER have more than one character in the same Organization.
-Character Jane might be in several Organizations, provided those Organizations are not in competition with each other (i.e. an exploring guild and a trading guild would be okay, but not two trading guilds).

C) As per the min/maxing rules you could have a character with an ability score under 8 - just not more than one, and not more than two under 9. Do remember that you will have to play all aspects of a given ability, though. Ugliness isn't all Charisma's about, for example.

D) You cannot have multiple deities in your deity field. It just doesn't work. You'll show up (in the code's eyes) as an invalid deity, and will be considered Neutral to everyone.

Pibemanden

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:38:13 am »
Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
A) Well, I don't think you can take Skald levels without Bardsong. So, no, that wouldn't work. But Fighter, Weaponmaster, Duelist would. (As an aside, that would be SICKENINGLY powerful at high-high levels.)

I think the fighter/wm/duelist isn't allowed based on this fact. I seem to remember Chongo or Osx writing something about testing a such character and finding that it was a bit too much for the Layo setting as it is.

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 11:22:28 am »
Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
A) Well, I don't think you can take Skald levels without Bardsong. So, no, that wouldn't work.

This is correct.

Chongo

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 12:16:41 pm »
Quote from: Pibemanden
I think the fighter/wm/duelist isn't allowed based on this fact. I seem to remember Chongo or Osx writing something about testing a such character and finding that it was a bit too much for the Layo setting as it is.

Well... it's not that it's not allowed, but yes, based on balancing principle I would do everything in my power to make sure this was never approved.  That's not to say it's an impossibility.  *Points to his desk* The buck don't stop here heh.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 12:47:09 pm »
Eh, a fighter/wpnmstr/duelist isn't quite as dangerous as a rogue/duelist/wpnmstr, but both of them take a long time to develop. Your character would be pushing 25th level before he peaked with the former (fighter), and with the latter (rogue), he'd be pushing 30th.

Granted, if you have a ton of playtime, manage a good number of quests, and don't perm (since frontliners tend to die much more often), it's feasible fairly quickly.... but then what? you have this crazy good damage output character... and what for? after you've killed the upteenth monster.... how does the character fit into the world? I personally don't care much about build power if your character is interesting and integrated into the world. If it's just a powerhouse character and not much else, though, why waste the time?

Chongo

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 02:20:54 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
Eh, a fighter/wpnmstr/duelist isn't quite as dangerous as a rogue/duelist/wpnmstr, but both of them take a long time to develop. Your character would be pushing 25th level before he peaked with the former (fighter), and with the latter (rogue), he'd be pushing 30th.

Granted, if you have a ton of playtime, manage a good number of quests, and don't perm (since frontliners tend to die much more often), it's feasible fairly quickly.... but then what? you have this crazy good damage output character... and what for? after you've killed the upteenth monster.... how does the character fit into the world? I personally don't care much about build power if your character is interesting and integrated into the world. If it's just a powerhouse character and not much else, though, why waste the time?

Actually, since the feats overlap it's super easy to be fully developed pre-epic.  And you know... to be fair a duelist/wm makes perfect sense - more sense then almost any other combo in the melee arena perhaps.  But having 83 AC and doing 150 damage at a 12-20 range by level 21 is something that I don't think we should allow mechanically.

Anyhow, no more thread derailing from me.

:)

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 02:47:10 pm »
I always enjoy playing bard/arcane archer combos when I play solo campaigns or mods.  Pretty good attack bonus, no wasted wizard levels on tiny little lvl 5 powered spells, a nice healing, singing, markmanship combo with decent social skils, etc.  I'm suprised I haven't seen any played thus far, seeing as how well it'd mesh with Ilsare's faith.

Now if skald somehow got into the mix and the character could just terrify the bejebus out of foes, then send volleys of arrows into their backs... that would be truly devastating.

If I ever made a character like that, it'd probably be Celith Xillow's neice, Willow Xillow, lol.

Weeblie

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 02:53:32 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
I'm suprised I haven't seen any played thus far, seeing as how well it'd mesh with Ilsare's faith.

If things go as planned, that will be changed. :)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 05:18:28 pm »
Yeah, Chongo, I actually played a rogue/duelist/wpnmstr in the NWN2 single-player expansion when it was released a few months ago. I had all the weaponmaster stuff by 20th, and most of the duelist stuff, but his damage output wasn't awesome until closer to 30th after grabbing a few more feats and more sneak attack. This was mostly due to the fact that I made him a finesse fighter in order to get the rediculous AC. If I had let go of the dex (and AC) and went strength, by 20th he'd have been rediculous in terms of damage. But his AC would have been 1/3 as good, and either way his will save still stunk, heh... actually, his fort save was bad, too. Death magic and mind attacks would obliterate the character in Layo unless he was in a balanced party (mage and cleric).

Which is why you should all play weaponmaster/wizards so you can laugh in the face of an illithid that tries to gut your mind, then turn around and gut the illithid with your sword. ;)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 05:51:46 pm »
I did a basic ftr/dul/wm build in my character notes thread... Dunno how you were getting 150s of damage without going STR build. Then again, the one I did was a fairly balanced-out character, rather than focusing seriously on damage or AC. Really matured at about level 22, but picked up some nice stuff post-epic.

Crazy hitpoints; I couldn't figure out what to take in late levels other than Epic Toughness. xD

Mr. Erth

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 12:11:27 pm »
Sorry if I'm further derailing this thread, but I simply gotta know: Are there specific combinations of classes that aren't allowed? And I mean both in terms of rules and what DMs what actually approve.

ycleption

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 01:17:58 pm »
Well, monks, druids, and paladins have restrictions on their multiclassing:
[lore]Restricted Multiclassing[/lore]

Beyond that, I think there are two types of multiclassing that would be at least suspect, if not outright disallowed. First are the obscene powerbuilds, like weaponmaster/duelist mentioned above. The second would would be builds that just don't make RP sense, Rofi cleric/assassin, undead slayer/palemaster, etc.

Mr. Erth

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 01:34:26 pm »
So a build such Fighter/Weaponmaster/Duelist, which makes perfect sense IC, wouldn't be allowed on grounds of being too effective? Even with extensive CDQs, journal writing and IC reasons?

Pibemanden

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 01:47:58 pm »
The problem is that the server isn't geared for "powerbuilds" while there is plenty of challenge for strong characters, the direct powerbuilds would simply dance all over monsters because they are build for semi rp build characters.
Furthermore it should be noted that only a few churchs, Aeridin and Toran I believe are the only, supports the undead hunter class. Other religions have other things that are way more important so their dieties doesn't grant the blessings needed or something along those lines...