The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Donate to keep this server alive  (Read 1815 times)

Leanthar

Donate to keep this server alive
« on: November 18, 2004, 10:06:00 am »
Hi everybody,
  Well it has come down to where I need to ask everybody to donate to the world.  I can not continue to pay $250-$300 every month in order to keep these servers up and running.  I will pay some of it but no longer will I shoulder the full cost.  I am asking for us to get at least $200 a month in donations or I am going to have to close up.  I have been paying for this for 2 1/2 years now and can no longer continue to carry the full brunt of the cost.  So, please donate by clicking on the "Make a Donation" button on the top/mid right of the screen.  Without donations I will be forced to close up shop.
  I'm sorry to ask for this donation but RL has impeded and forced my hand on this issue.

RE: Donate to keep this server alive
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:37:00 am »
As soon as I can i will, check will be in the mail in december.

ZeroVega

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 10:39:00 am »
Unfortunaly I knew this day would come.....I just didn't think it'd be so soon.
  I'll be making a purchase or two from the shop this Christmas (as a present from my parents) and donate what I can scrape up and send you in the mail.
  I'm just curious though.....I know that if you (and us the players) can't keep these servers up we won't be able to upgrade layo to a different game but will the forum stay? I'm asking because if NWN 2 is as good as people say it's going to be, and we can keep sending in donations to build up for a new world on a new game, I think it'd help to keep the forums up. If this is costing you money also then forget it.
  Just thinking that I know a lot of great people here and keeping interest with forums n' such might help to keep em long enough to wait out the storm. :)
                                                  ZV,

Sakura

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 10:41:00 am »
    I have talked to Fenris about this and we are going to make donations, as much as we can afford.
    On a month to month basis, but we need others to help too.

This is more about keeping the server alive, then anything eles. We need everyone to chip in what they can every month.

With over 1,000 users we should be able to pull in something. Even if its one dollar a month thats over 1,000 dollars.

Just my thoughts just trying to help alittle.

Sakura

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 10:48:00 am »
    If its about life or death I think it should be made mandatory to donate every month. Just enough to keep the place running.

Harlas

PS: Gonna donate NOW!

Aryn Ravenlocke

• Followers of Vorax
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
    Mandatory donations are prohibited by the user agreement in NWN.

YT

steverimmer

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 11:03:00 am »
    Yep well I will try very hard to donate at least $50 - $100 per month (I'm online so much its only fair really...phew thank god the pound is so strong against the dollar at the moment :) )

Nyralotep

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
    I will dontate what money I can every month and already have sent some to Leanthar. 

Guardian 452

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
    NO ONE here has the right to say others "have to donate". That just plain isn't fair. Granted Leanthar can it's his world we all flounder around in.

If you can donate do it... if you can't then don't.

Those who can...... do so with out causing a stink for those who can't.

Those who can't.... I'm not trying to be a jerk here but we don't need to hear about how you can't afford to.... if you can't you can't.

Those who can and do donate. Just because you can swing a few bucks and some one else can't that doesn't make you any better than them.

Leanthar has literally poared his life into this game for over 2 years. Do the math people figure out what has payed in money... then figure the time he put in this game for us vs. time with his family... what does that cost?

Leanthar I hope Layo remains open for people to enjoy, with that said I don't blame you one bit for making this statement and I also don't blame you one bit if for at any reason at any time you have to pull the plug.

Bottom line .. if you can donate... do it.  If you can't Don't.

Andy
    G-452

Kethryc

• Followers of Rofirein
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
    Amen G, I'm in.

Keth

Gilrod

• Followers of Lucinda
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 04:50:00 pm »
    I agree to pledge a solid amount every month.  I will give no less the $5 dollars and no more than $20 (probably will be more like $10 a month)

The reason I say it like this is to give Leanthar a promise.  I might not give much, but my pledge will be consistent.  If enough people give a small amount in a consistent  manner, then Leanthar will not have to wrestle with the decision every month as to whether or not he will close the doors of Layonara.

I would recommend not giving more than $15 to $20 dollars a month.  It makes it harder to be consistent financially (unless your rich, then feel free).  ;)

I have one question for Leanthar though.  What would be a good day for me to set as a monthly due date?

I would like to put it in my budget spreadsheet so that I don't forget.  I'm going to pay for it by a minimum of not smoking one day (yes, I am one of those dirty smokers ... for now) ;) .  Or perhaps I will pass up one beer a month and say its a sacrifce upon the alter of Layonara (not to be sacreligious).

I hope more can give consistently, even in small amounts.  It would give others peace of mind to know that Layonara isn't going to be on the brink of death every month.

Just one final thanks to Leanthar, this financial announcement made me think about what Layonara must of cost him (or the small circle that started this wonderful world); and I estimate it was anywhere between $5,000 and $20,000!  Thanks a heap Leanthar (and maybe mysterious other benefactors) for creating this world.

HEY!  If we get enough monthly donators, maybe we could start an upgrade fund that gradely grows (with any money over monthly connection fees)!

Perhaps a tad hopeful.

Everquest and Cosmo Magazine Blow!  ;)   Donate to Layonara instead! j/k

IceDragonDuvessa

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 05:43:00 pm »
    Being pretty new here and falling in love so quickly with this server and the people on it I would be more than happy to give 5-10 bucks a month, thats about all I can swing but Im happy to give it. Should already have the first 10.00 :)

Thanks for everything everyone has put into this site especially Leanthar for giving so much.

Leanthar

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 06:05:00 pm »
    Gilrod, as to your question of "What would be a good day for me to set as a monthly due date?"  It does not really matter, so long as I can make the monthly payments that I am faced with.
      Thank you to everybody and I hope (*pray*) we can keep this going.

Kethryc

• Followers of Rofirein
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 09:36:00 pm »
    5-10 is absolutely perfect, says I!  I think if we all gave that then think of this:  L pays 300 bucks a month so we can all spend hours playing.  If you paid a quarter an hour, then in 20hr *.25= 5 bucks.  20 hrs a month is about 5 a week, one a day, I play 20 hrs a week almost (except on a work week).  I descided to give a set amount, in that range, and gave for November.  Now if only 29-40 people give in that range, guess, what?  No stress on L!  He's got a server we all share!!

Keth

nabokov9

• View Profile
      « Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »
      Leanthar,

please post your mailing address for personal checks please.  thanks!

NitaThompson

• View Profile
        « Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 12:28:00 pm »
        Leanthar's Address

Dan Scott
        40966 Quailview Drive
        Oakhurst, Ca. 93644

nabokov9

• View Profile
          « Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 09:13:00 am »
          thanks!

a check will be on its way...

Juzzo

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 09:43:00 am »
          New here but love it cant be having it go away right after I found it!! donation sent through paypal!

Fian Bearsark

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 09:53:00 am »
          I'm going to set a goal of $5 a month as a form of "membership".I realize we can't use words like that due to legalities, licensing ,etc. but that's how I'll think of it. Basically, I should be able to find that in the couch cushions, my jacket pockets and on the floor of the car per month. 500 dedicated donaters at this level would yield $2500 a month and $30,000 a year. That's how its possible. We've all listened to fund drives on Public Television and radio. Its simlpe math. Even $2.50 a month would yield $15,000 a year.

Perhaps I'm secretly being selfish because I love playing NWN on online and I would'nt want to have to find another world to start over in! I've already made friendships here and that takes time!

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »
          I realize this is my first post, but I had a suggestion.  My income floats higher/lower form month to month, depending on what is going on, so I know I would be unable to promise a payment every month.  However, I am not against making donations to repay all the hard work and money that goes toward keeping a server up.  

Would it be possible to put a goal for donations up, and then let us know how close you are to reaching it?  That way, I would know the months that you need a larger payment, or months that I don't have to feel guilty because I couldn't make a payment, since you already reached the goal.  If it was a month when the donations were down, and I wasn't able to make a payment, I would choose not to play for awhile.

Either way, I'm sure I will be making some donations, I just thought I'd throw that out there.

anything