The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Duelist Ajustment  (Read 402 times)

Teo

Duelist Ajustment
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:45:02 pm »
I recently began taking part in an rl group of historical fencers, and we are all pretty much medieval era geeks. But one thing i noticed that was different from the historically accurate fencing, and the PrC in Layonara, is that historically, a fencer would have used a dagger, his weapon's scabbard, a cloak, a buckler, or any other object that was handy and would give him an upper hand. Now I know that letting someone run around with all the duelist bonuses and a tower shield would be a very powerful class compared to a normal fighter, but maybe there could be a weapon sheath or cloak item that would give a defense bonus for the weapon sheath, or for a cloak, a smaller attack and defense bonus.

Just a thought,
Teo

Script Wrecked

Re: Duelist Ajustment
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:30:25 am »
It would appear that the Duelist is based upon classical fencing, rather than historical fencing.

Teo

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:11:08 am »
The classical fencing style is also used in the SCA, but since the SCA also has heavy armor combat, you can go against each other, and a fencer with two swords or a sword and shield or any variety of weapon is a hard fight against a waraxe or a sword, let alone just one sword. In a real combat someone with one, flexible sword would have trouble blocking a giants club, or a dwarf's axe.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:27:14 am »
Technically, when you block a giant's club, its called golf. ;)

When fighting such opponents, its probably less about blocking, and more about ducking and weaving.

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:28:55 am »
Quote from: Teo
The classical fencing style is also used in the SCA, but since the SCA also has heavy armor combat, you can go against each other, and a fencer with two swords or a sword and shield or any variety of weapon is a hard fight against a waraxe or a sword, let alone just one sword. In a real combat someone with one, flexible sword would have trouble blocking a giants club, or a dwarf's axe.

Which is why with a flexible weapon you don't block, you deflect and parry (ie circle out and around of the swing or thrust)