The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: MINI games  (Read 261 times)

NEXUS7

MINI games
« on: December 25, 2005, 11:03:00 am »
Other than the demon cards is there any chance of any other Mini games like the ones found in FF7 and other such RPGS.
Just an Idear

lunchboxkilla

Re: MINI games
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:01:31 am »
There is a Bioware module where you can play poker and black jack to gain small ammounts of gold......can't bet more than 50 gold a hand

ItalianDDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 09:37:38 am »
    o0o0 texas holdem in Layonara? Silence would be rich.

CHAzz

• View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:18:14 pm »
      it'd have to be character versus NPC, though.   Unless there was a loooooot of very determined anti-metagaming going on, which would be quite fun, but the posibility of abuse is massive.  We already have the skills to roll for bluffing and reading, but to play those properly and avoid looking at the numbers and skills being rolled would be tough.  Not to mention using the die roller as an extra bluff would also be metagaming.

trillex

• Followers of Katia
        • View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »
      I remember back in the days, there was some sort of chess game with monsters. I can't remember if it's an early version of the demon cards, though.

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 05:48:54 pm »
      Bioware Chess is already developed - I'm working on an AI to go with it (an adaptation of SimpleChess) - I suspect it'll get a lot more done on it over the break.  But it could easily be a pvp game to add to the Leilon Arms, perhaps.  Or the Great Library - I can't think of a better place to play chess...

Chongo

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 06:38:02 pm »
      There are a lot of gambling scripts out there.

I remember back when LoA was up they had a death system where you were basically stranded in Sigil until a cleric raised you.  And the only thing Sigil had in it to keep your attention were blackjack tables.

All of my characters were broke.  What a cruel cruel idea that was.

Witch Hunter

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 09:22:56 am »
      Why not include plenty of simple games? stuff like Liar's Dice is really fun to play and the amount of effort requires to create them is minimal.

darkstorme

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 01:27:17 pm »
      But Liar's dice isn't really realistic to script opponents for, which means you'd have to wait until another person was around.  The computer, after all, knows PRECISELY how many of each value turn up.

Edit:  As an addendum, if you have ideas for mini-games, build them as a .mod or .erf, and provide them wholesale to the design team.  Worst thing that happens, they don't include them, and you have a mini-game of your own to play with friends.  Best thing that happens, they decide, because of the time you've saved them, to include the new game.  You are surrounded by yesmen and hangers-on, desperate for a taste of the fame you acheive.  Women (or men) swoon before you, and national holidays are declared in your honour.

(Well, at least the game will be included.)

Witch Hunter

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 06:33:14 pm »
      Well no one said games should be scripted for NPC's!

Weeblie

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 03:19:27 am »
      Remember that more mini-games means more lag too.

I would say that an area with mini-games are creating more lag than several "normal" areas (due to the extra need of scripts, etc). :)