The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: QUEST SERIES: What Lurks in Shadow  (Read 946 times)

EdTheKet

QUEST SERIES: What Lurks in Shadow
« on: April 01, 2005, 03:00:00 pm »
ATTENTION: WILL START AT 12:30PM GMT WHICH IS 3:30AM PST, NOT 4:30AM PST DUE TO DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME!
  Part 1 of "What lurks in shadow" will be run on April 2. This is a main plot related quest, in this case it involves the deals with the dragons, the shadow dragon in particular.  There is no party size or level limit, however, Ed's blunt interpretation of the Calem rule applies (Acting stupid will get you killed).  
  Quest will start inside Moraken's Tower. See you there.

Deacon

RE: QUEST SERIES: What Lurks in Shadow
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 05:11:00 pm »
Had lots of fun Ed!  Hopefully I'll be able to make the next quest in the series.

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 08:33:00 am »
Part II tentatively sheduled for April 17.
  I am open to PM's regarding plans of action and possible short in-between quests (like info gathering). Part I did not go well, and if you are to find him again, it will be the second time you will face him. Keep in mind that this will prove to the dragon that you need him really bad.  The stage is set, the stakes are high, come up with a good story :)
  See you then ;)

EdTheKet

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
Allright, you all now have my official permission to use this thread to discuss potential options or approaches, but please keep it in character, like you're having a meeting in the inn or something.

Pankoki

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 03:39:00 pm »
*triba moves everyone to a corner of the inn and pays the innkeeper some coin to assure their privacy. She asks Eldarwen to set some glyphs of warding around the windows and nearby doors and brings everyone to her attention*
  Ok, here's the deal. And this is just one of the many deals, but perhaps it will help us convince the shadow dragon.
  While trying to convince Fisterion to enter our fold, he gave us a very clear set of objectives. But one of them related to the Shadow monkey.
  The idea is kinda simple but its crazy. Fisterion wants assurance, that if the Shadow ever does agree to our plans, it will be under the Red's command. He wants his authority and he wants it bad. So I was thinking, if we could convince the Shadow to enter the fold under these conditions only so that down the line, and when Fisterion least expects it, he can show him truly how powerful he really is.
  *she lifts her hands up almost trying to avoid plates being thrown at her*
  Just an idea! And what Fisterion wants. I'll shut my mouth now.

Pankoki

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 12:33:00 pm »
*Triba looks around at the silent crowd*
  SPEAK UP PEOPLE!! WAKE UP!! WAKE UP!! WAKE UP!!
  *she rattles the cups on the table loudly and begins to scream at the top of her lungs for opinions*

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 01:06:00 pm »
* Kobal walks into the inn to get an ale and todays menu, when hearing and seeing Triba shouting from a table in the back of the inn. *

Hmmm. * mumbles something in dwarven about yelling halflings... then decides to walk over. *

What are ye yellin' about lass? Care to elaborate?

// unfortunately I could not make the first one. I hope to be on the next though. Care to explain what happened?

Pankoki

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 01:34:00 pm »
*she puts the cups down and smiles warmly at Kobal*
  Ah someone paying attention *she eyes the group around her* Hello Kobal. Well we're here discussing deals with dragons. See... it has become our duty as you know to unite the chromatics, the purpose of this you may or may not know, but its important we do. Trust me on that.
  In any case, after hearing of some rumours of an entrance to the lair of the shadow dragon deep within the Great Forest in Xantril a group of us decided to explore this possibility. Indeed we found an entrance that led deep within the caverns of the underdark.
  Here we fought a bazilion undead, another proof we were in the rightish place cause those who came before said undead were about. In any case, killed all the nasty skellies until eventually we found the dragon.
  To make the long painful story short, we came up with our story to the big scary shadow of how we needed to unite against blood, unfortunately he was a tad angry that we had killed his little bones so he wanted replacement.
  After a long long discussion, and basically not getting our point across, he decided to simply take some of our items in payment and then disappeared all huffy and angry. So basically we accomplished nothing.
  So we need a plan and a way to get to him that doesn't involve killing his little army and also a very smart plan to convince him to join us. And of course there's the matter of Fisterion *she retells Fisterion's condition*
  Soooooo any ideas?

blonde

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
*Ahndar stands up after listening to Tribas speech*

As i see this, the problem with the shadow dragon is that it has lived in isolation and relative safety in its underdark cave. It has not felt Blood's pressence as much as the others. It has not, to my knowledge, been attacked by Blood... Unlike for example the blue. If we were able to arrange a "meeting" of Bloods army and the dragon, it might see the wisdom in an aliance.

How we should arrange this, i have no idea. Blood have several generals with each their army, who of them we could manipulate into this i have no idea..if any of them.

I know this idea is next to impossible, but now it is on the table at least.

*nods to Triba indicating that he is done and sits down*

Milo

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 02:22:00 pm »
*still fanning himself as he walks in to investigate the source of the disturbance*
  What's happen...*sees Triba* nevermind
  *listens to the conversations for a bit*
  I believe the next time we visit Shadow we need to find a way to sneak around his guards, if that is all possible, so that he will be in a good mood (relatively speaking) when we speak with him.  It would be nice if the guard doesn't have true sight...
  Also we need to make him see that Blood is currently slowly but surely taking over the world, making him feel that Blood is a threat to him...
  *sits down and sips some tea*

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 02:44:00 pm »
Thank ye Triba. Ahndar told me about it just outside a few moments ago, and as I see it there will be little reasoning with that enourmous beast unless it somehow is made to feel that an alliance is not only a gain for us, but also to it. As Ahndar said, the thing has probably not been threatened for generations, and has grown in both power and arrogance.

Ahndar's suggestion with the army is a good one, if doable. Might not need an army, but a force sent by Bloodstone sufficiently large to give the beast a good scare.

On the other hand I am tiring of bowing and pleading. If we would not need these oversized bats that badly, they should be left where they are, until Sinthar eventually comes around to finish 'em all off. Unfortunately we cannae do that. If we cannot somehow come up with a plan that lures Bloodstone to act on the dragon, I believe we will have to do it ourselves. It is a gamble, but if we were able to dent the beast sufficiently - deal it a wound it remembers - maybe then our message would get its hearing.

The beast is powerful, and a mission such as I am describing would be deadly indeed, but what are our options? I am volunteering to try it anyhow. Hargranar once created a sword that might give us an edge. The recepe is from the old days. The sword is designed to glide off on impact, and might thereby move in between scales of for instance a dragon, thereby dealing it damage where other weapons might fail. Celgar holds such a weaopon, and others like it might be created.

A well equipped strike-force should sneak in, strike at the beast, and leave. If possible, the members of the group should wear uniforms of the forces of Bloodstone, and leave additional proof behind.

Wha' do ye think? As I said, its a gamble, but just going back to the beast? I think that the outcome would be basically the same - even though its forces are touched or not.

EdTheKet

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 07:42:00 pm »
Part II:
  1:30PM GMT / 5:30AM PST  Starting location: the Wild Surge Inn in Hlint. This is a main plot related quest.
  THIS IS ONE HOUR LATER THAN INITIALLY PLANNED.
  At the moment, I have not received a single plan or sugestion via PM yet, I hope you guys will have some kind of plan or direction tomorrow :)
  See you then.

EdTheKet

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
Part II has just been completed. Part III will be run on Sunday, April 24, see the calendar.
   Information has been gained by the party on part II, and it will need to be acted on.  Feel free to discuss here (then I can also prepare somewhat based on your plans).

EdTheKet

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 03:06:00 pm »
*bump*
  Bear in mind that this is open for all levels. But also bear in mind that if you're level 1, charging the big-bad-lvl20-troll (for example) is not the wisest thing to do :)

EdTheKet

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 01:53:00 pm »
Part III completed. __________________________________________________________________
  Ragrian the Bard is still busy scribbling her song in the Wild Surge:  And off they went on a wagon To bargain with a dragon Drinking from a flagon  Gold and items in their pack They set out on their trek. She looks up at a group of adventurers coming into the inn and she recognizes the ones that were going to go to the Black Dragon. "Back already?" she asks. "How did it go? 'tis for my song!"
  //please use this thread for further in-character discussion or to obtain information/clarification of events. Thanks. Watch the calendar for part IV.

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
After discussing all that has happened so far with various members of the quest Rawkwin comes to the following conclusions.  These may be obvious but I want to make sure I don't misunderstand any of the fundementals.  

(1) The goal is to get the shadow dragon to join with the other chromatics under the red dragon's control.
(2) We have determined from the black dragon that the shadow dragon once sought and may or may not still seek an item called Orn's Tear.
(3) We obtained the Tear from Jasmin of the swamp.
(4) The Tear is a large round rock.
(5) The Tear can be used for "seeing far" but is currently broken due to being cracked.

Is that all correct?
What are our options?

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 02:14:00 am »
I spoke to Triba, Yar, and Lariono tonight.  They seem to think we should use the Great Library to find out all we can about how to use and possibly how to repair the Tear before we consider giving it away.  I think I agree.  I don't know how long that research might take.  How long do we have?  Triba is looking into a way for me to get to use the portal to the library to do the research but maybe someone more schooled in Lore should do that.  I also gave some more knuckles to Jasmin like we said to thank her.  Any thoughts?

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 06:12:00 am »
*Toman listens, easily concealed in the dark shadows of the inn to what is accounted*

The Orn's Tear? I remember tha bleedin' hunk o rock, I was one o tha ones who did be recoverin' it if me memory be right. Mayhaps if someone be buyin' me a drink I may be able ta shed a bit o light on what they be wantin' ta know 'bout it.

*He mutters to himself and walks out of the Inn* First I be needin' ta be doin' a few errands I be thinkin'.

J-ser

• Followers of Shadon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 04:09:00 pm »
*Seeing a group of people with open pockets sneaks over to see if any of them carry any items he needs. As he gets close he hears the disscusion and decides that the Shadow Dragon's help is more important than filling his pockets so he joins in.*
You need any help from a rouge? I don't know much about the that rock and I dout I could find anything out about it faster than the rest of you but I could help you in just about any other way. Though if we get the rock fixed say the shadow dragon does not want it? Then what do we do? We might want a backup plan.

EdTheKet

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 01:12:00 pm »
When they reached the big black dragon, our heroes got a shock. He told them his so-called Shadow brother wanted a piece of rock. They left again to find the rock of which the black one had spoken, And when they found it, it had a crack so it is broken.
  "That's right, right? It being broken?" Ragrian asks as she puts down her quill again, looking at the gathered adventurers.