The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Layonara, NWN2 and Beyond...  (Read 1070 times)

orth

Layonara, NWN2 and Beyond...
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:46:33 am »
As we near the campaign end and we push on with the magical world we've all helped create, we come to a set of crossroads for the future of our second (or in some cases, first) home.  For those of you who deeply care about where all these fantastical stories are forming, there is indeed a much more elaborate future, perhaps even beyond your wildest dreams.

This future extends well beyond NWN2, even beyond a computer game, to paths you may not have even considered.  The massive volunteer effort over the years and the persistent dedication by our World Creator has opened realms to pursue that even Leanthar could have never dreamed of.

It is at these crossroads where I'm finding myself taking another route, pursuing an exciting future that will expend many of my energies. It is at this moment where I hand the torch over to the fully capable hands of Dorganath to manage the remaining days of NWN1.  My presence as a developer here fades for the time being, my focus moves to alternate pursuits and roles for Layonara.

With that said, the transition to NWN2 will be something I will get deeply  involved with to help things go as smooth and painless as possible.  The planned September release date for Bioware, plus the inevitable time to get a world up to speed with our vision will probably mean a target of Jan/07 for Layonara NWN2.  NWN1 will continue to exist over this period of time and perhaps overlap, until we start phasing out servers as the community and modules are no longer actively maintained.

The decision on character wipes or character transitions from NWN2 has not been solidified, we are examining every possible route but we've yet to come to a conclusion on the best path and feel there is no need to rush at it quite yet, especially with this campaign yet to end.

Now, the community needs to be well aware that the ability to maintain the level of world you've come to enjoy so much on NWN2 will require a lot of costs.  The confidence that it's worth our time and effort over this period will be increased with any donations you can provide to help offset the high costs of hardware and server fees running the world.  It would be a sad shame to spend months  developing and Leanthar just not being able to afford to serve the world.  More details on how you can help with this will be coming soon.

We can't guarantee any of this is set in stone, life has a strange way of twisting and turning, but these our are best plans.  I am confident that Layonara can be a part of many of our lives, beyond a game... in essence it's own genre.

Sound exciting?  Stay tuned...

Harlas Ravelkione

Re: Layonara, NWN2 and Beyond...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:00:20 pm »
*nods* Sounds very exciting. Donations will be made.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 12:04:02 pm »
ANTICIPATION!

*explodes*

Thak

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 12:04:17 pm »
Tease ;)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 12:09:23 pm »
Count me in.  I'm already setting aside moneys to help Layonara in the future.  Whatever road Layo takes, I'll be here to travel down it.

crazedgoblin

RE: Layonara, NWN2 and Beyond...
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:22:15 pm »
I will be donating cash soon but just one question, will we have to start our characters again or will theybe transferd?

OneST8

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 12:30:02 pm »
crazedgoblin - 4/23/2006  3:22 PM

I will be donating cash soon but just one question, will we have to start our characters again or will theybe transferd?

orth:

The decision on character wipes or character transitions from NWN2 has not been solidified, we are examining every possible route but we've yet to come to a conclusion on the best path and feel there is no need to rush at it quite yet, especially with this campaign yet to end.

crazedgoblin

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 12:30:52 pm »
ah yes *slaps self with wet fish*

Weeblie

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 12:32:47 pm »
Niiiiice!

orth - 4/23/2006  8:46 PM

Edit: Gaaah! Too slow... *sighs*

Ar7

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 12:43:58 pm »
Sounds very exciting, though I still don't like the possible wipe *sighs* but it is not for me to decide.

Philosopher

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 01:03:32 pm »
Ohhhh....OHHHHH! *Excited gasps all around*

NWN2...I'll try to set aside some money for it, but I'll probably won't beable to play it for long...as I have to save for university fees and buy several things for college next year. I have a job but I'll see what I can do ;)
But when I'm at university, I doubt I will beable to play Layo NWN 2 at all, as I also have internet fees which will cost a bomb to play NWN2 online. When I get back from Uni? Who knows! I'll probably have my degree by then, I'll get a better job and back to Layo :P
Will it last that long though....? I sure hope it does...

Gulnyr

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 01:04:20 pm »
Ar7 - 4/23/2006  3:43 PM

Sounds very exciting, though I still don't like the possible wipe *sighs* but it is not for me to decide.

That's what I would have said, had I said it instead of Ar7.  It's kind of sad thinking of losing Jennara before I feel like I've finished developing her.

But huzzah for exciting futures.

Honora

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 01:06:06 pm »
Layo is set as a monthly payment for us.  We used to send more money to Sony for a lot less fun.

Looking forward to NWN 2!

Honora and Laldiien

Filatus

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 03:50:25 pm »
*smiles* I can wait until 2007 or later for the NWN 2 conversion. That's plenty of time to develop one's character.

SuperMunch

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 03:59:21 pm »
*pulls out credit card and types in the numbers, a shame I'm not logged into paypal*

A few months delay is good, games usually take 3-4 months to hit brazilian shelves (except Civ4, it took 3 weeks).

You guys managed a fantastic world with a fantastic player base, and whatever twist things take, you can count me in.

BTW, a character wipe wouldn't be that bad for me, then I'd start another character with 25% less caffeine.  I might even start a paladin, who knows?  :D Then again bards in the 3.5 rules got a lot better...

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 05:03:33 pm »
Although I havn't been playing Layo that long, I'm in for the NWN2 version, Layo is simply the best PW I've ever been on (I've been on a few)

dekard

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 05:05:51 pm »
    i agree, layo tops ALL other PWs ive ever played on.  Im looking forward to seeing it on NWN2, its going to be worth the wait.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 09:20:00 pm »
    All I can say....

Son of Weston....

MU HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *cough, choke, gasp*

s0ulz

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 12:00:23 am »
    Doc-Holiday - 4/24/2006  7:20 AM

All I can say....

Son of Weston....

MU HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *cough, choke, gasp*

Hmmm.... yes. I agree.. son of Weston...

Anyhow... sounds very exciting and hopefully things will only get better with NWN2.

Godspeed to the coders!

Eight-Bit

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 12:10:29 am »
    Can I send money orders? I do not keep checks, and paypal kind of freaks me out.

anything