The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: NWN and NWN 2 server transition  (Read 157 times)

Filatus

NWN and NWN 2 server transition
« on: April 27, 2006, 10:14:40 am »
I think there was said that for a while the old server will probably be hosted alongside the new layonara in NWN 2.

My question is whether during that period events that take place in the old version, could still have an impact on the NWN 2 server with the future Layonara.

cbnicholson

RE: NWN and NWN 2 server transition
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 06:53:35 am »
On a slightly different tack -

I wonder if NWN2 is going to be money grab by the producer?  I mean, will there be a monthly fee to pay online in PW like Layo?  With all the other paid for online games like D&D online and WOW, wouldn't this thought have occured to the makers of NWN; hence the release of NWN2.  There's no good news on a Mac or Linux compatible version of NWN2 yet either, which has me concerned, not because I'm an open source zealot or anything, but because with the DRM that can be utilized in Windows, a monthly pay as you go scheme becomes even more of a possibility.  Just remember kids - the almighty dollar ultimately makes or breaks a game.  That said, I congratulate and commend Bioware (and the Layo team) for the work and effort I've seen in NWN to date, but I wonder about the future.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Philosopher

RE: NWN and NWN 2 server transition
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 06:55:28 am »
cbnicholson - 4/28/2006  2:53 PM

On a slightly different tack -

I wonder if NWN2 is going to be money grab by the producer?  I mean, will there be a monthly fee to pay online in PW like Layo?  With all the other paid for online games like D&D online and WOW, wouldn't this thought have occured to the makers of NWN; hence the release of NWN2.  There's no good news on a Mac or Linux compatible version of NWN2 yet either, which has me concerned, not because I'm an open source zealot or anything, but because with the DRM that can be utilized in Windows, a monthly pay as you go scheme becomes even more of a possibility.  Just remember kids - the almighty dollar ultimately makes or breaks a game.  That said, I congratulate and commend Bioware (and the Layo team) for the work and effort I've seen in NWN to date, but I wonder about the future.

Your suggesting if NWN2 maybe P2P online? Why would it? Only MMORPGs would do that. Unless I'm totally missing the point. :) (Quite a likely case)

Thak

Re: NWN and NWN 2 server transition
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 07:02:59 am »
@Filatus. That is quite probable. If these events are substantial and can influence a world at a later time. I dont know wheter Layo 2 will be 10 years ahead, 50 or even hundreds so... In substantial I mean something like: Hlint gets destroyed. I assume that NWN2Layo will only have ruins in that place then. ;)

@Cbnicholson
Bioware has again produced NWN2 (like NWN) as a SP game and has no intentions for a PW and therefore recurring monthly cost at all.

But of course Donations always help to keep Layo going and getting better. ;)

cbnicholson

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 07:36:52 am »
@Cbnicholson  Bioware has again produced NWN2 (like NWN) as a SP game and has no intentions for a PW and therefore recurring monthly cost at all.    But of course Donations always help to keep Layo going and getting better.

Good to know - but will NWN2 still work online if its unable to phone home and verify cd keys or ser#'s or whatever scheme it uses? That's the catch right there. Control of the pipeline. Layo may be its own server (s) but if Bioware decides to implement some sort of block of multiplayer based on a payment plan?? Its the switch from producing innovative content like the official expansion packs that players will pay for to charging a subscription -that's what all the bean counters dream about - a steady revenue stream. I don't want to freak anyone out, but that's my 2 cents on the future of all online gaming. As far as donating goes - I've done my share for now - ;) .

Oscar Wilde

Faldred

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 07:39:36 am »
In the end, we're the consumers, so we have the power.  If they want to sell a "crippled" game, then we have the option of just not buying it.

cbnicholson

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 07:43:40 am »
True enough.  
Bah, don't pay any attention to me, I think I must have been a dwarf in a past life or something.

Oscar Wilde

Chuckles_McChuck

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 01:12:47 pm »
Well I very much doubt Bioware would do that, for they have nothing to do with NWN2.  Its been passed on to Obsidian.

Personally i cant see how it will work.  Bad marketing to send out a single player game but charge monthly for its multiplayer aspects.  If I recall the polls on nwn.bioware.com (this was a long time ago) said that most people with NWN play SP, and I can assure most people who like it for multiplayer either wont buy it or will just play SP instead.  Then there are PW's like Layonara here, where Leanthar has to already pay a rather hefty sum to keep it running regularily, if they want to charge us for multiplayer then they better supply us the servers for free.

Its not something to worry about, they wont do it

anything