The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Favorite cookie recipes from around the world  (Read 515 times)

Pen N Popper

Favorite cookie recipes from around the world
« on: April 04, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »
With such a diverse group, how about we share some favorite cookie recipes.  Post your recipe here and be sure to indicate the country of origin.

LynnJuniper

Re: Favorite cookie recipes from around the world
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 05:15:01 pm »
Wow that was fast...Unfortunately if I post any of my recipes here my mom will somehow find out and threaten me with the spatchula. :( Besides, my recipes are more like guidelines....Sometimes I just say "Hey this isn't working lets throw in more ____"

Witch Hunter

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »
Heres mine...
 Go to the nearest supermarket... purchase a bag of chocolate chip cookies... unwrap them and viola!

ycleption

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 05:34:51 pm »
Biscochitos, which are from New Mexico:

Combine 6 cups flour (sifted), about 3tsp baking powder, and 1 tsp salt. Cream 1.5 cups sugar with 1 pound butter (purists will use lard here), and add lots and lots of anise, and two beaten eggs. Slowly combine the two parts. Stir in 1/2 cup cheap brandy or port (for some reason, the cheaper the alcohol, the better it turns out). Refrigerate the dough, especially if you live in a humid climate. Roll out very thin, cut into your favorite shape (purists only allow fleur-de-lis), dip one side into a cinnamon-sugar mixture, and place that side facing up, on a baking sheet. Bake @ 350 for 10ish minutes.

CAUTION: Spanish words are notoriously regional. Do not mention these cookies in foriegn countries, or you my be subject to strange glances, if you're lucky.

Mooneyes

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:48:58 pm »
Okay here it goes!

Congo Squares

3 cupes of sifted flour
2 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Cup of shortening or 2 sticks of Butter  (I use the butter)
2 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar (1 box)
3 eggs
1 pkge of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. of vanilla extract

Mix and sift flour, baking powder, and salt.  (Set aside)
Melt shortening or butter and then add brown sugar.  Stir well until mixed!
Allow to cool slightely and add eggs 1 at a time beating well after each egg.
Stir in 1 tsp. of vanilla
Now add the dry ingredients (flour Mixture and chocolate chips)  Stir until well mixed.
Pour into a greased 10x15x3 inch pan
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.

I cook them just until they are a golden brown and a still alittle gooy inside. Let them cool for a bit and then cut into squares.

These are soo good! Even with a cold glass of milk or cup of coffee.

Oh and Drexia?  These are the ones I was making when Peanut first met ya. hehehehe

Oh this is from the good old USA

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:48:33 am »
Nice straightforward Chocolate Chippers:

1 cup soft butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 tsp vanilla (but you know you want to add more)
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Beat together butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and eggs.
Add the other ingredients (save the chocolate chips) stirring continuously for an even consistency.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop in rounded spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake eight to ten minutes.
Enjoy!  (With milk, for preference. :) )

oneqtbebe

• Followers of Beryl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 02:35:35 am »
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies:

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups (12-ounce bag) milk chocolate chips, not semisweet
Nonstick cooking spray or parchment paper

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray or line them with parchment paper.

Using a mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Beat in the white and brown sugars, a little at a time, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, then mix in the vanilla and pumpkin puree. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.

Slowly beat the flour mixture into the batter in thirds. Stir in the chips. Scoop the cookie dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cookies are browned around the edges. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and let them rest for 2 minutes. Take the cookies off with a spatula and cool them on wire racks. And chow down on them :-D

Faldred

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 08:55:29 am »
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
My wife calls this the 2+2+2... recipe -- it's 2 sticks of butter (I suggest replacing one with shortening for less thin cookies), 2 eggs, 2 cups of sugar (half white, half brown), 2 cups of flour, 2 cups of oats, and 2 cups of chocolate chips.

• 1/2 cup Butter
  • 1/2 cup Shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  • 2 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 2 cups Flour
  • 2 cups Quick Oats
  • 2 cups Chocolate Chips (or chocolate chunks, M&Ms, whatever)
Cream butter, shortening, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.  Combine salt, baking powder, and flour; add to butter mixture about 1/2 cup at a time.  Mix in oats, and finally chocolate chips.

Bake cookies at 375 for appx. 8 minutes (depending on your oven and cookie size)

DMOE

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 09:29:36 am »
Oaty Cherry Cookies

250g/9oz Butter
50g/2oz Caster Sugar
100g/3 1/2oz Light Muscovade Sugar
150g/5 1/2 Self-rasing Flour
225g/8oz Porridge Oats
200g/7oz Glace Cherries
50g/2oz Raisins

1. Heat oven to 180c/fan 160c/Gas Mark 4.  Line 2 or 3 baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.  In a bowl, beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.  Stir in the flour and oats, mix well.  Roughly chop 3/4 of the cherries, then stir these, the whole cherries and the raisins in.

2. Divide the mixture into 18 equal portions.  Roughly shape each portion into a ball.  Put on the baking sheets, spaced well apart to allow for spreading.  Lightly flatten each biscuit with your fingertips.

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cookies are pale golden around the edges, but still feel soft in the centre.  Cool on a baking tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

MJZ

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:07:04 am »
**Drools profusely all over the print-out**

Mine.. ALL MINE!! This shall be official Layo-fare, *nods* yes it shall. Move aside, tub of yogurt, instant noodles, and glass of red wine!

oneqtbebe

• Followers of Beryl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 06:20:16 am »
My other favorite cookies/ sweets: ladyfingers! Ohhhh *drools*

2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted flour
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg whites, beaten until stiff
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 baking sheets with 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons of flour. Mark parallel lines in the flour across the width of the tray about 4 inches apart.

Put the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl, and with an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk beat on medium-high speed until the mixture is pale yellow, thick, and has tripled in volume, about 8 minutes, using the mixer. Add the egg whites, remaining 3/4 cup flour, salt and vanilla, fold to mix thoroughly so the mixture is smooth.

Fill a large pastry bag with a 3/4-inch plain tube with the mixture. Pipe fingers about 4 1/2-inches in length on to the baking sheet, using the lines as a guide. Dust the ladyfingers with powdered sugar. Bake until for 15 to 18 minutes, or until just firm on the outside and soft in the center

oneqtbebe

• Followers of Beryl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 06:22:18 am »
As for the origin.. i think ladyfingers are from France.. *shrugs*

Laldiien

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 09:13:57 am »
Can this be opened up for other, non-cookie treats?  I am not great at cookies, but I make cheescakes.  Love to share a few of those.

ycleption

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 01:16:26 pm »
Well, since oneqtbebe posted a ladyfinger recipe, I'll share my favorite use for  said ladyfingers: tiramisu!

First make the ladyfingers, (if you want you can just make big ones, by tracing the shape of whatever pan you're going to use onto parchment paper). Some people just buy ladyfingers. These are dirty cheaters who hate food.

Then make a syrup by stirring together 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup boiling water, 4 shots of espresso,  and 1/4 cup rum. If you don't have an espresso maker, just use strong coffee. Kahlua also tastes good instead of rum, and of course, you can boil the syrup if you're going to serve it to minors, or don't want to get tipsy off of your dessert. Set aside for the moment.

To make the filling, combine 8 oz mascarpone cheese (I use regular cream cheese because I'm cheap), 2 cups confectioners' sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in 2 cups heavy cream. Whip with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Some people like to add a bit more coffee and rum to the filling, other prefer the contrasting flavors of the layers; I leave the decision up to your discretion.

Either brush or soak the ladyfingers in the syrup, depending on how rich you prefer the dessert, and place in the bottom of the pan (springfrom pans work well). Spread half of the filling on top, then add more lady fingers, then the rest of the filling. Top with grated chocolate and a bit of powdered sugar and make all pretty.  Refrigerate, then serve.

pinkpowerbait

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 12:09:35 pm »
Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans, divided
1 package (13 ounces) Rolo Candies (apx 7 of the small rolls of Rolos)
4 squares (1 ounce each) white baking chocolate, melted

In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, 1 cup sugar and brown sugar. Add the eggs one at at time, beating well after each addition. Beat in Vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to teh creamed mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped pecans. Shape a tablespoonful of dough around each candy forming a ball. In a small bowl, combine the remaning sugar and pecans. Dip each cookie in the sugar/pecan mixture halfway. Place the cookie nut-side up, 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake the coodies at 375 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until the tops are slightly cracked. Cool for 3 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle cookies with melted white chocolate.

Yield: 5 dozen

cbnicholson

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 02:05:07 pm »
"Can this be opened up for other, non-cookie treats? I am not great at cookies, but I make cheescakes. Love to share a few of those."

*drools* I want to hear about cheesecake!!
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Laldiien

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 06:12:55 pm »
Cookie Dough Cheesecake

2 8pz pkg softened Cream Cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanillia extract
2 eggs
1 cup homemade or store-bought cookie dough  
Graham Cracker pie crust (You can use a premade, but I make my own)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla until well blended.  Take half the cookie dough, and  drop cookie balls into batter and mix with a spatula.  Balls should be about twice the size of a pea.  

Pour into crust.  Drop remaining cookie dough onto batter.  (if you haven't snacked on the raw cookie dough yet, you're not doing it right.)

Bake 40 minutes @ 30 or until center is almost set.  (From experience, it will start to brown, when it does, watch it closely.  There is a fine line between brown and yummy and black and crispy.)

Cool.

Get a gym membership.

Faldred

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 11:53:28 am »
Pumpkin Cheesecake
(Note this is tasty, but forget "low fat")

Filling
24 oz. Cream Cheese  (may substitute 8 oz. sour cream for 8 oz. cream cheese)
5 Eggs
1 T. Vanilla
1 t. Salt
1 t.
Powdered Cinnamon
1 t.
Powdered Nutmeg
1/2 c. Heavy Cream
1 1/2 c. Sugar
1 pint Pumpkin puree (best if using real pumpkin, not the canned stuff [squash])

Crust
1 c. Pecans, chopped fine
2 T. Brown Sugar
1/2 t. Powdered Ginger
1/2 t. Powdered Nutmeg
2 T. Butter, melted

[LIST=1]
  • Mix all "crust" ingredients together and press into the bottom of a springform pan; refrigerate breifly to set
  • With electric (preferably stand) mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth and creamy
  • Add eggs one at a time until thorough blended
  • Mix in pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg
  • Finish with heavy cream
  • Pour mixture gently over crust, bake (over a pan of water) at 350 for about 80-90 minutes, or until set
  • (Serving suggestion) Top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and a pecan half (extra credit for candying the pecans by dipping them in a simple sugar syrup)
(For any low-carb dieters out there, replace the sugar in the filling with 1 c. Splenda [I find it sweeter than sugar], and the sugar in the crust with 1 1/2 t. Spelnda -- yields appx. 8 net carbs. per 1/12 of the recipe.)